Interview: Steve Gaynor on Gone Home, FEAR, Minerva's Den, BioShock Infinite, PAX

warcrow

Regular
In case you missed it, I interviewed Steve Gaynor who's responsible for Minerva's Den and Gone Home, and we talked about his career (did you know he worked on the FEAR expansion pack?), dropping PAX, leaving Irrational before BioShock Infinite shipped, and what's next for The Fullbright Company.

http://eat-games.tumblr.com/post/74979301279/interview-steve-gaynor

Here are some quotes I enjoyed:
Actually the initial inspiration was from a conversation I had with JP LeBreton. He was chatting with the Lead Designer of the original BioShock about how Rapture had all this accelerated high technology, and it would be cool if all the technology that had lead to the creation of Shodan in the System Shock universe had come from all these advancements in Rapture. It’s off the books and not official in any way whatsoever, but I was like fuck it, I’ll just do that!

...and

"When I worked with Ken Levine, we discussed the concept of creating sympathetic villains. He pulled this quote and it went, “No one is the villain of their own story.” Everyone is the hero of their own story, and that extends to everyone’s life. It’s not necessarily because they won the Nobel Prize, it’s because they ARE the main character in their own story.”

Back