First Xbox 360 Teaser Commercial

Okay this puts more relevance to the "jump in" commercial. I know a lot of ya'll don't like it, but I'm really digging it. :)

New Japanese Xbox 360 promotion site:

http://jump-in.jp/

And here's Moore explaining the idea behind the commercial:

http://www.business2.com/b2/web/articles/print/0,17925,1122948,00.html

To understand how Peter Moore is going to make you want an Xbox 360, you have to travel to a littered parking lot on the lower east side of Manhattan. A pack of kids and a BMX biker are jumping rope, double-Dutch style. As he walks near the jumpers, Moore says, “Please tell me there are no shiny happy people here,†a reference to the typical Microsoft advertising campaign that features clean-cut, smiling models.

Moore is visiting the set of the first television spot for Xbox 360, part of the largest Microsoft marketing campaign since the Rolling Stones serenaded Windows 95 with “Start Me Up.†It’s also a spot that “has the corporate marketing guys shrugging their shoulders,†Moore says, sitting in a director’s chair. “This is about taking an industry and hauling it, by the scruff of the neck, from young teenage males playing endless hours of time-killing games and bringing it into the living room.â€

Moore has banned technology from the commercial. He ripped up earlier storyboards for computer-graphic-heavy ads deemed “too PlayStation.†Instead, the TV campaign is supposed to evoke childhood memories of playing with friends. “The idea is, if you aren’t involved you’re missing something,†he says. To be cool, in other words, you have to be part of the Xbox gang.

Last edited by a moderator:
Viewed from that angle, it makes much more sense. Gone are the days when few people publicly showed their interest in a "hardcore-hobby" that was rarely appreciated...

The fact that you are talking about the commercial proves that it is a success. Just like some of those exceedingly "horrible" 80's ads for things like laundry soap, ass creme, and dog food... we sit around talking to people about how stupid and bad these commercials are, and never realize that simply because we talk about them, and relate their contents to other people, we are being perfect consumers and purveyors of that advertisement.

joebloggs said:
I think that ad was trying a bit too hard to be "cool" - didn't really pay-off for me.
If you want to see a great ad checkout http://www.bravia-advert.com/

Microsoft needs to grow the "XBOX" brand beyond the cheesy "cool", "hip", "extreme" buzzwords which balding middle-aged advertising execs seem to love so much.
That commercial was boring as hell, IMHO. I want my 5 minutes back.

People don't get the point of the Xbox 360 theatre spot. All we care about is specs and graphics, but as soon as you start throwing that shit up on the screen, 75% of the audience tunes the hell out. The acrobatic jump roping caught their attention more than it would catch the attention of most of the European dudes on this board. I found the double dutch ad entertaining and ingenious while the Bravia ad bored the hell out of me. Different tastes for different markets, I guess. That's why they pay people big money to do that shit.

Go here http://jump-in.jp/

And click on "voice pool", can anybody that knows Japanese translate what people are saying??? Would be interesting to find out what people in Japan are thinking about Xbox 360... I saw one post with True Fantasy Live Online! And another with something to do with MGS4 :LOL:

Not a good ad. This is the hardcore market which will buy for these prices. Make us something that features your tech.

Metal said:
Not a good ad. This is the hardcore market which will buy for these prices. Make us something that features your tech.

The hardcore market doesn't care about commercials...

exactly. These ads are no different then some of the playstation 2 ads that had nothing to do with games. One add comes to mind where people were walking through this spot on a sidwalk and tranforming into skateboarders and bike riders and I forget what else. I remember thinking, what is this ad for? and then I saw the playstaiton 2 logo and thought "oh I see".

The Ad didn't show any games, the hardware or anything playstation 2 related. it didn't need to. It just showed people transforming and having fun or enjoying themselves. it also said "live in your world and play in ours" at the end. Suffice to say it wasn't aimed at hardcore gamers as they don't care about TV spots. When was the last time a TV ad made anyone go out and purchase a game aorund here? For me? never.

Anyway the reactions from people on the net is exactly what I expected. There's people on the net that would hate it even if it was the best ad ever created.

How about the infamous apple superbowl add when the woman launches the sledgehammer through the giant screen of some oppressive dictator-type. No one knew what the hell it was about or for but it was different, caught peoples attention, made them question what the product was all about.

I'm no marketing guru but this ad has as much of a chance as being 'good' as it does being 'bad' imo.

well i got a phone call from my cousin asking me wtf was that xbox comercial about.

So its getting people to talk . Dunno if it will mean increased sales .

hopefully the game comercials start coming

jvd said:
well i got a phone call from my cousin asking me wtf was that xbox comercial about.

So its getting people to talk . Dunno if it will mean increased sales .

hopefully the game comercials start coming

I saw the Jump In commericial on G4 followed by another commercial of G4 coverage of the launch event.

That Jump In commercial was like a short clip and you really don't know in what direction its go towards...until the end where the X360 logo comes out.

In addition, I get the sense that there is some confusion on how to market the machine.

i think the jump in comercials should have hit the air in sept or so as teasers . Now though with a week left they should be showing us movies of games

For the umptenth time, these commercials are not for you. There is a very extensive process to get casual gamers interested in your console. You can't just bombard them with videogame trailers, that will not make them bite. You have to first establish your console as cool. These commercials are creating an image that will last for the remainder of the generation. Then once these people that have never bought Xbox before feel familiar with the console, that's when you reel them in with gameplay footage.

Honestly, I thought that was one of the best commercials I've seen.

I didn't know that it was an xbox commercial at first.

But I did start think about the water balloon fights when I was younger. I just kept thinking this is looks like alot of fun. And all of a sudden the Xbox360 logo popped up.

So at least on me, the commercial was a success. Afterwards, the image left in my mind was Xbox360=fun.

Obviously, certain ads won't work on certain people. But for the demographic that was watching during Lost, this was probably an excellent commercial, because MS wants to reach out to more none gamers.

They can put gamer commercials on ESPN, Cartoon Network, or Spike TV.

Back