Firefox 2.0

Never ran across that one at all. I suppose you're quite unlucky.

I've had it happen a couple of times when something has reset my machine just as Firefox is starting up or saving out before exiting. The bookmarks file gets corrupted and so FF replaces it with a blank file on next startup.

There is an extension that backs up all your important config files every day. IIRC it's called "Bookmark Backup" and is a great safety net for your config files.

Obviously I've run into the problem, two or three times from memory and I know others who have encountered it too.

It's a generic problem with storing all the config data in a monolithic manner. If something happens to the file you lose everything. Firefox even write a backup of the config file itself, but it overwrites it upon startup. So you're screwed if the normal config file is corrupted and you then run Firefox. Best as I can tell, Firefox updates the config file when you startup (why???) and consequently overwrites the backup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, just because Opera can have extensions does not mean that a number of quality ones are available nor is the support of them up to the level of Firefox.

What extensions would you miss? Seriously, I tried to use Firefox a couple of months ago. I went to some huge ass extension archieve. I wasted hours upon hours of my life sorting through the inane shit people write extension for and when I was done I had a close look at all the extensions that I had installed and that bloated the browser and realized that all I did was retrofitting features I missed from Opera. Then some browser update broke half my extensions and I said "fuck it".

FF is memory leaking like a Russian pipeline, the interface is sluggish, it doesn't offer even basic functionality like session saving without having the user wasting time hunting for extensions that will likely break come next update... FF is a good Internet Explorer alternative. Other than that, I found it just about useless from a poweruser perspective.

Have they fixed the 'if firefox crashes you can lose all your bookmarks' problem?

From FF 1.5 there is a "bookmarkbackups" (in the profile folder) folder where FF stores your bookmark file for five days back, so you can simple copy one of that to your profile folder if you lost it.

Maybe firefox3 will solve this load/save problems.
They'll be using sqllite to store configuration keys and stuff like that. I'm not sure about the bookmarks, though...

Opera and Firefox look too polished for my taste, I've been happily running SeaMonkey nightly builds for a while now and they do everything I need.

Rc1

RC1 came out tonight. I like the Firefox theme a lot more. It still won't open maximized though. Any ideas?

Maybe firefox3 will solve this load/save problems.
They'll be using sqllite to store configuration keys and stuff like that. I'm not sure about the bookmarks, though...

Opera and Firefox look too polished for my taste, I've been happily running SeaMonkey nightly builds for a while now and they do everything I need.

I've been considering SeaMonkey for a good while now. My use of Opera really turned me on to the all-in-one suite idea more than the Mozilla Suite ever did. I think I'll download SeaMonkey and see how it goes, got nothing to lose.

EDIT: Bah!!!!! When the heck are the Mozilla people going to learn that ChatZilla is a horrible IRC client. It doesnt even begin to compare to the greatness of the Opera IRC client. Sigh....

Seamonkey is no longer the responsibility of "the Mozilla people" it is now a 100% community maintained effort.

I remember trying Opera's IRC client and I thought it was terrible and unusable (plus, it running in a tab was lame). but it was on 7.5x I think.
I view Chatzilla as half-decent though, I remember using it under Unix at university, as a Firefox extension ;), I rarely need a IRC client and I didn't want to hunt for a IRC client and the hassle of building apps from source in Solaris (tweaking ./configure options, building some libraries and installing in my $HOME, modifying stuff and Makefiles, trying other software when I just can't build it.. lol, unix sucks :p )

on Windows I just use a standalone 10-year-old client (Xircon)

Firefox really needs to get its memory leaks under control. I have two windows and three tabs total and Firefox is using nearly 200mb's. I'm pretty sure it was using 300mb's just before I posted this because my RAM program was said I was down to 14mb's free. This isn't just a problem with 2.0 RC1 either.

I remember trying Opera's IRC client and I thought it was terrible and unusable (plus, it running in a tab was lame). but it was on 7.5x I think.
I view Chatzilla as half-decent though, I remember using it under Unix at university, as a Firefox extension ;), I rarely need a IRC client and I didn't want to hunt for a IRC client and the hassle of building apps from source in Solaris (tweaking ./configure options, building some libraries and installing in my $HOME, modifying stuff and Makefiles, trying other software when I just can't build it.. lol, unix sucks :p )

on Windows I just use a standalone 10-year-old client (Xircon)

Interesting, the IRC client in Opera is the best I've ever used personally. At least the one in Opera 9.x

2.0 Final

The final version is out and it still can't remember to open the window maximized. Is that so much to ask? It seems like something very small but I can't see all of my bookmarks unless the window is maximized, plus I have a 15" laptop with a low resolution so I need all the reading room I can get. Any ideas?

Sounds like an issue on your end. Firefox is not responsible for "memorizing" the way it closed or open'd the last time. Windows takes care of that. I've had no such issue.

I'm really enjoying the new Firefox though. Some great new features (love spell check) that have been long time extensions but are finally fully integrated into the browser. A good natural evolution.

Spell checking and individual close buttons on the tabs are the two best features of 2.0. Besides the security and anti-phishing, which I'll never really notice. What are the best settings for anti-phishing any ways?

Firefox extensions that make it worthwhile over other browsers are those associated with web development: Firebug, Venkman, View Formatted Source, DOM Inspector, etc. Firefox is much more open, which really helps when you need to drill down into a web app to find out what's wrong.

I've moved onto the Minefield nightlies (firefox 3.0). In my opinion, v2.0 is a nice update but there isn't anything in it for a power user to really get excited about. 3.0 on the other hand has Cairo (GPU hardware acceleration interest anyone here?), Places (new bookmark/RSS system) and some really nice new page reflow code that'll no doubt make it a much bigger step forward.

Don't suppose you know of a quick guide for anyone looking to run Minefield?

Rys: I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I'll give it a go.

Grab the latest "trunk" build from the threads in this forum. The builds will update daily unless you do not want them to. Otherwise, its not much different than running release builds.

Of course you'll run into some issues from time to time and have to reinstall, etc. You'll want to keep frequent backups of your cookies, bookmarks etc. Follow those Mozillazine threads for what to test and look out for. Getting involved in Bugzilla would be good idea too, if only to vote for or confirm the bugs you see on your system.

If looking for technical info on Cairo Bugzilla or the dev lists are the place for it, with Vladimir Vukićević being one of the main brains behind its implementation in Firefox.

Places was in the builds for a time but has been pulled in order to implement major changes.

Anyone know how to regain the square, flat-looking tabs instead of the round-edged abominations with gradients? It's the only thing that bothers me at the moment, because it ruins the theme-less, no-frills, minimalist look that I prefer. Couldn't find anything in the preferences.

Back