Firefox 2.0

mkillio

Regular
I really like how they integrated the themes and extensions in to one window, "add ons". The search engines are a lot nicer you can add and remove them much more easily now. Although I don't like how you select them, I liked the old way better. The options menu is pretty much the same. They did add anti-phishing which looks for scams, I haven't browsed enough yet with it to find out if it works though.

BTW-Be warned, it over-writes by default...but at least they have a working adblock extension.

EDITED BITS: Oh my garsh, it has a built in spellchecker on posting now...I'm in heaven!!!! :D

Beta 2

I'm glad they fixed the search bar. I'm not sure if I like the way they changed the tabs though. They're "clear" now. Does anyone know if you should use the "downloaded list of suspected sites" or the "check by asking google" for the suspected forgery in the security tab of options. Which is better?

Not quite as long as Opera, though... ;) Then again, Opera tends to pioneer virtually everything that other browsers introduce a few years later as "revolutionary" :D

Really? They still have not got extensions right (Widgets? Those are a joke) they still have not got remembering passwords right (You know, if I wanted to type keys to get the password, I would just type it in!). Two basic things by now that it just doesnt seem to know how to do.

Now on the other hand, it has a great IRC client, good email client, and the behavior of its tabs by default is much better.

Still, I find it has a lot of little annoyances that keep me from using it.

Really? They still have not got extensions right
No, but that's a good thing in my view. I'd rather have all the features I use built-in and standardised and guaranteed to work between upgrades.
they still have not got remembering passwords right (You know, if I wanted to type keys to get the password, I would just type it in!).
How do you mean? Opera has the simplest password management I've used. You don't have to press a single key if you don't want to (just click the wand icon).

But if you prefer FireFox or whatever that's fine - it's a personal choice what you are happy with. I'm not going to tell you to use something you don't like!

But there are many things missing in Opera. This is where extensions come into play, for free that are not included that others can add easily. The widgets for Opera just simply have not reached the point of quality nor usefulness yet.

As for passwords, you either hit the wand or Ctrl+Enter, which is annoying really. Firefox the password is already there for you.

As for passwords, you either hit the wand or Ctrl+Enter, which is annoying really. Firefox the password is already there for you.
You still have to press Enter in FireFox to submit the password. Is pressing CTRL-ENTER really so much more difficult?

So how does FireFox work when you want to store multiple passwords for a page or domain? This is something I use in Opera a lot.

You still have to press Enter in FireFox to submit the password. Is pressing CTRL-ENTER really so much more difficult?

So how does FireFox work when you want to store multiple passwords for a page or domain? This is something I use in Opera a lot.

Yes, with control on the other side of the keyboard its rather annoying having to bring done another hand.

Firefox brings up a menu allowing you to choose the name you want to use.

Yes, with control on the other side of the keyboard its rather annoying having to bring done another hand.
Well, you can edit all of Opera's keybindings (Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Shortcuts) so you could have it as whatever you want or even bind it to a mouse gesture.

Well, you can edit all of Opera's keybindings (Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Shortcuts) so you could have it as whatever you want or even bind it to a mouse gesture.
well, I have a Ctrl button right underright Shift, which is under Enter button...

Also Opera CAN have extensions - i used/use flash-blocking extension... the link was posted in this forum some time ago

well, I have a Ctrl button right underright Shift, which is under Enter button...

Also Opera CAN have extensions - i used/use flash-blocking extension... the link was posted in this forum some time ago

Not all keyboards are the same...

Also, just because Opera can have extensions does not mean that a number of quality ones are available nor is the support of them up to the level of Firefox.

Not all keyboards are the same...

Also, just because Opera can have extensions does not mean that a number of quality ones are available nor is the support of them up to the level of Firefox.
then remap to whatever key suits you better :)
I agree, FF was created with extensions supposed to be important. Problem is - ok I installed FF2beta2... and of 10 plugins i have in 1.5, only 2 work...including NO SAVING OF PREVIOUS SESSION! Opening again 10 tabs?
Sorry, that is NOT usable browser for me.
Its same again and again - new version, update plugins or wait for available update, not to mention reinstall hell in the beginning - with every new version i had to reinstall every plugin(was that fixed btw?)

Back