Firefox 2.0

Anyone know how to regain the square, flat-looking tabs instead of the round-edged abominations with gradients? It's the only thing that bothers me at the moment, because it ruins the theme-less, no-frills, minimalist look that I prefer. Couldn't find anything in the preferences.

So basically you want Opera? :D Just kidding - I know most FireFox users here are all about the plugins. But for just giving a great user experience right out of the box though, I gotta say Opera is it for me. Sometimes Firefox handles a certain media type better, other times Opera does, but in general, Opera is fast and very user friendly. Of course, I keep installing all of them just to compare. ;) That FF 3.0 looks very promising.

Arwin: You've just described the two different approaches the browsers take. Opera tries to give you every feature you could possibly want (within reason), whereas Firefox tries to provide a "good enough for most anybody" out of the box experience with the more obscure features provided as addons.

Curt: I suggest you use a theme-less, no-frills, minimalist third party theme ;)

Arwin: You've just described the two different approaches the browsers take. Opera tries to give you every feature you could possibly want (within reason), whereas Firefox tries to provide a "good enough for most anybody" out of the box experience with the more obscure features provided as addons.

Maybe, but then maybe Opera is smaller than Firefox to begin with. At least when I last downloaded the two Opera was smaller. ;) Firefox now has this spell-checker for instance ... (quite nice feature for most people - but for me, I myself rarely make mistakes. :p )

You know, for the longest time I wondered why you don't see many Opera threads on forums such as this. Then one day I realized that there is no need for them. Why not? Because Opera users just use the Firefox threads :p

Anyway, thats fine, wonderful and great that you prefer Opera. Its a great browser. I don't see how this is much on the topic of Firefox 2.0 though.

You know, for the longest time I wondered why you don't see many Opera threads on forums such as this. Then one day I realized that there is no need for them. Why not? Because Opera users just use the Firefox threads :p

Anyway, thats fine, wonderful and great that you prefer Opera. Its a great browser. I don't see how this is much on the topic of Firefox 2.0 though.

Because I just installed Firefox 2.0 and have been comparing it to Opera 9.02 today. I am an Opera user, my colleague is a FireFox fan, and we've been exchanging preferences and experiences. Nothing wrong with that? The two obviously learn from each other. He told me for instance he was excited about the gesture recognition feature in FireFox, and I seemed to remember that this was in Opera first, but I've never bothered to use it myself.

There are a lot more FireFox users than Opera users, which I'm assuming is the main reason for there being less FireFox threads than Opera threads. ;)

Also, he mentioned that the Linux version of Opera (he uses Linux at home) isn't quite as good as FireFox apparently, so there is a good chance that I'll be using FireFox on the PS3.

I love by the way how both are quick and seemless installs. How unlike IE7, which I installed two days ago and took ages.

Opera vs Firefox: Comes down to pure perference these days. With Firefox 2.0 they really reached the polish that Opera use to have as an advantage. Honestly, I'd use Opera if I wanted it all in one (browser, email, IRC) and Firefox if I want stand alone and good and useful extensions (Widgets is getting close, but none seem to ever add useful things to the browser).

I'm very happy with FF 2.0 and it comes strongly recommended. If you have any older version of FF, upgrade NOW!

I'm very happy with FF 2.0 and it comes strongly recommended. If you have any older version of FF, upgrade NOW!

I'm just waiting until the TabMix Plus extension has been ported over to FF 2.0. I really dislike the close button on every freaking tab and miss the auto-session saving. It shouldnt be much longer than a week until that extension is available.

I'm just waiting until the TabMix Plus extension has been ported over to FF 2.0. I really dislike the close button on every freaking tab and miss the auto-session saving. It shouldnt be much longer than a week until that extension is available.

I simply dont mind them being there. They're a waste for me since I always just middled clicked the tabs to close them already. Not sure what you mean by the sessions, Firefox saves sesssions already so if it crashes you can come back to that sessions or when you close you can go back to your previous one before you closed FF.

Session saving is built in now. Also you can configure the close buttons in about:config:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.tabs.closeButtons :)

Oddly you can disable the go-button in about:config but you have to use user-chrome.css for the search engine.

Thanks for the close-buttons info.

I'll have to look closer, as on this install of FF 2 I'm not seeing any way of saving multiple sessions whenever I want to, nor of restoring them whenever I want. Maybe something got pooched since upgrading from 1.5. *shrug* The only time I've seen session saving/restoring come into play is when it asks me to restart or if it crashes -- never on a clean exit / start cycle.

Tools -> Options -> When Firefox Starts -> Show my windows and tabs from last time.

Not a fully featured "session saver" tool but you can use bookmarks for that really.

I actually really dig it, wasn't much of a firefox fan before; however it still doesn't have alot of the features I like in Opera.

On a related note, is anyone having issues in both browsers with flash 9? I think the new version of flash is buggy as it freezes or stutters in Opera and Firefox on some of my computers but works fine on my personal computer with Flash 8 installed.

i'm very pleased with ff 2

Ditto.

It looks better imo, and the new features are intuitive. Mainly the spellchecker which I was already used to because of google toolbar, but they have different implementations (google you press a button to spellcheck, FF is always on, which can almost get annoying yet is also somewhat more convenient, as well as FF's you right click the word to get spelling suggestions, google you just left click which is probably more intuitive.)

The other feature I have so far noticed is, once it offered to restore my browser session because I shut down abruptly, now this particular time I didn't need it, but that could be a truly awesome feature I believe.

The way links auto open in tabs by default now is great. In fact, stupid as it sounds I had never used tabs regularly in the past. Simply because I was used to not using them, and that's the way I browsed, but now I'm sort of using them by pain free default because links open in tabs now by default, and am sure I will see that they are pretty cool.

The features that google toolbar still has that are nice and FF does not, are the autofill button, great for autofilling long forms with name address etc, and the translate button (in the IE version only so far, sadly) which is simply awesome for B3D, linked to chinese sites with video card specs and whatnot, now a machine translation of the page is just a button click away.
________
Vaporite.Net

Last edited by a moderator:
Its just some very popular and useful extensions that are tightly integrated into the package now. Which is what FF needed. Its a browser and feature for feature it matches everything out there in the browser area. The goal of FF is not to be your all in one internet package, which is what I like about it. I can use seperate, and much more powerful, programs for those things.

Oddly you can disable the go-button in about:config but you have to use user-chrome.css for the search engine.

If you want to remove the search engine, simply remove it in the standard customization menu of the toolbar.

Back