Firefox 2.0

For those who want to restore session all the time:

http://cow.neondragon.net/index.php/1108-Firefox-20-Session-Restore

http://cow.neondragon.net/index.php/1108-Firefox-20-Session-Restore said:
here is no interface or UI for having Firefox restore your session the next time you restart - I suppose this fits the Firefox methodology with Session Restore every time being a feature which normal users won't want or need. It does seem a bit strange that they've implemented a fantastic feature and not included one preference for what could be the major use of the feature. Luckily there is a quick preference change you can make. Open up about:config. Right click, New > Boolean.
Preference Name: browser.sessionstore.resume_session
Preference Value: true
The next time you close Firefox 2.0 and open it up again all your tabs, scrolling, the contents of forms, histories and cookies will still be there as it was last time. It even works with TinyMCE which is pretty impressive!

I do see a problem in this feature in that cookies which only last for one session will never be deleted as the session is restored every time the browser gets restarted. It's probably issues such as this which stop Session Saving being included as an option in the Options window.

If you want to remove the search engine, simply remove it in the standard customization menu of the toolbar.

No, I wanted to remove the search-button. :) The code for the user-chrome is:

/* Hide Go and Search Buttons FF2.0 */
#go-button-stack, .search-go-button-stack {
display: none !important;
}

Btw. the Undo-Closed-Tabs-Button extension is cool. :)

edit:
My extensions are:
Context Search
Download Statusbar (mini mode)
Flat Bookmark Editing
Mouse Gestures (Optimoz)
OpenSelectedLinks
Scrollbar Anywhere (need to change maxversion)
Show Image (haven't tested it with FF 2)
Spiderzilla
Stop Or Reload Button
Undi Closed Tabs Button
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried FF2 for a few days (base install no extra plug ins).

"options" navigation and layout
Save all tabs as bookmarks

Dislikes:
Performance: Takes up more memory than IE7 and slows down with a lot of tabs open more than IE7
The lack of the IE7 button that shows all your tabs on one screen
The lack of an empty/new tab button next to the last tab

You can't go wrong with either one to be honest. Ofcourse will the plug ins FF might take a strong lead but I do simple browsing so I have no need for that stuff.

You can't go wrong with either one to be honest. Ofcourse will the plug ins FF might take a strong lead but I do simple browsing so I have no need for that stuff.

It's the Plugins that puts FF above the rest. But in your case, I really think Opera wins hands down over IE. Opera, in my view, is by far the best browser 'out of the box', doing everything you need with half the fuss and twice the speed. The very competent Opera 'Zoom' option (far superior to Text Size, and really useful) for instance works far better than IE7s (FireFox probably has a plug-in for it, somewhere).

You really should try it. I test all of them regularly. Surprisingly, Opera keeps winning. Only very occasionally do I revert to IE when some website or other isn't working properly.

The lack of the IE7 button that shows all your tabs on one screen

Do you mean like showing all tabs in 1 page as thumbnails? You can do that with an extension. Check the following extensions

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1810/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1937/

Maybe there are more extensions that can do that.

The lack of an empty/new tab button next to the last tab

Press ctrl+t or double click an empty spot on the tab bar or right click the tab bar and select new tab.

The thing with firefox is that if you want to do something, then you will most likely be able to do it with an extension. You also never need to open internet explorer cause firefox can render pages by using internet explorer(so that you can use specific pages that work only with ie), through an extension(ie tab). You can set it up to always render specific sites with ie(from inside firefox's interface) or you can just open links and render the destination with ie(from inside firefox's interface). You can also zoom in/out on pictures with a plugin(image zoom).

There are so many cool extensions.

The only disadvantage is that it uses tons of ram. But if you are browsing, then you most likely arent using most of your ram. And when your ram isnt used, it is wasted. So using tons of ram is a good thing :p. Plus, now you can restart firefox and have it restore your tabs/opened pages and free some ram.

I wish they hadn't used the Opera tab close location. I liked it better all the way right.
FF2 hangs on me a couple times per day too :(

I wish they hadn't used the Opera tab close location. I liked it better all the way right.

You can change it:

1. Go to "about:config"

2. Search for "browser.tabs.closeButtons"

3. Change the value to "3"

I prefer it that way too, so you can close tabs sequentially from one spot instead of hunting for each tab. If I want to close an individual tab, I either middle click or ctrl-w.

video plugins for fire fox 2

FF2 still has this annoying problem, it won't accept or install video plugins from some sites.

CNN is just one example.

You can change it:

1. Go to "about:config"

2. Search for "browser.tabs.closeButtons"

3. Change the value to "3"

I prefer it that way too, so you can close tabs sequentially from one spot instead of hunting for each tab. If I want to close an individual tab, I either middle click or ctrl-w.

Where is this?

I just reinstalled Firefox.
There are nice extensions to use:

Grab and Drag in scrollbar mode

Mouse Gestures with diagonal gestures

Last edited by a moderator:
Back