Finally PS3 and 360 side-by-side

concerning console looks only the xb360 looks better than ps3
but of course the xb360 needs an external PSU which does detract significantly visually from it (not to mention those that buy an external HD-dvd)

Can someone explain this to me.

Where do you people place the PSU? Right next to the console? Simply placing it behind your entertainment center and you never see the thing again. How does this take away from the visuals of the console? Its out of the way and hidden.

The reason for the larg size of the PS3, simply because of the internal PSU. Even when the PS3 are bigger than the 360, the PS3 still look much better than the 360 in term of style. Honestly, I think the 360 look like my ethernet router. The PS3 look very fancy and expensive with first or last impression.

Final word: I would choose the PS3 design over the 360 desgn any days, beside the 360 is small and tight. That's why the system have so much heating issue, the ps3 is big and are doing very well with the air flow. PS3 arn't that much bigger than the 360, so what is the big deal?

I like how the PS3 looks. I don't every move my consoles and I have a bit of space and I don't have a phobia of size (as some claimed harmed the Xbox1 in Japan). The PS3 is glossy black and has nice curves for a CE device. Very cool IMO.

Mine is right next to the surge protector everything in the entertainment center is plugged into.

Exactly. So how does it effect the look of the Xbox 360?

I simply dont understand why having the PSU internal helps the PS3 at all. It causes an akward design (IMO) with the curve up top, and it just adds to the mass of the PS3 without any benefit. I've yet to see a person give me a real reason why the internal PSU is nice, to me its actually a bad design move, it adds heat and takes up extra space and increases the size of the console, which you can not hide or tuck away like you can a external PSU.

Mine is right next to the surge protector everything in the entertainment center is plugged into.

ditto... under the entertainment center never to be heard from or seen again until the day I sell it. :LOL:

the whole "X360's PSU is external and so it sucks" argument is weak IMO

I'd have much preferred the PS3 to be smaller and have an external PSU. I also like the soft modern lines and color of the 360 better than the shiny rounded look and size of PS3.

The black PS3 looks magnificent in some of the shots :)
Which Japanese building was it modelled after again ? (I forgot).

Xbox 360 is going after the modern, chic look. For white appliances, I generally like the minimalist look like iPod or http://www.thetadigital.com/graphics/cb3-sil.jpg (but not as bulky as the Theta in the link of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Gamesradar, It's an inch taller standing vertically, and an inch 'fatter' standing horizontally, at its highest point. So..no.

An issue for who? I mean if space is a major problem for you it might be an issue. But as is I could easily slot it in where I currently have my Xbox, for example.

edit - it's actually nearly exactly the same size as the original Xbox (0.5cm wider, 0.2cm shorter, and 1.4cm deeper). It's easy to forget that exact dimensions are actually out there - for reference it's 325mm (W) x 98mm (H) x 274mm (D).
Well Xbox was pretty big. Carrying a PS3 around with it's unusual shape looks dangerous.

Considering the price of the thing(ps3) I bet a lot of people wold have to carry it if they want to play at their friend's.

You guys are thinking of this all wrong.

The PS3 is not a big console.

The PS3 is a small computer.

;) A nice glossy black one that will look great in a living room.

If PS3 was a car, it would be a shiney black BMW. The Xbox 360 reminds me of a Honda Civic chavmobile with funny looking body kits and stickers.

PS3 just looks so much classier and more valuable.

If PS3 was a car, it would be a shiney black BMW. The Xbox 360 reminds me of a Honda Civic chavmobile with funny looking body kits and stickers.

PS3 just looks so much classier and more valuable.
Just...try....to explain to the average person that you payed $600 for a toy which looks much better then the competition. I would be more concerned with how easy it is to move (honestly look at the round top) then how easy it is to show off.

Personally I don't like the look. I was never a fan of the base jutting out like that, and from the top in particular it looks messy.

You can't put anything on top of it either. Sure most people won't, but it's still irritates me.

It doesn't use space as efficiently as the 360. Thats probably what bugs me I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll definitely stand mine up vertically. For a verticaly standing device the design is excelent.

As for the size - if a larger size was the compromise for better cooling and a quieter solution I am 100% for that decision.

Why is "Also sprach Zarathustra" in my head all of a sudden? ;)

Yeah, its a big boy. Not so bad standing up though. And if its as quiet as they say its gonna be thats a plus. Quiet and effecient cooling is personally a bigger concern for me than sheer volume.

On the subject of having to "lug aroung" this gigantic 5 pound beast.

I know gamers tend to neglect their arm and chest muscles (There is no shame in just focusing on wrist and finger strength). So perhaps 5 lbs is going to pose a real problem here.

It's interesting that we are discussing this right after Quakecon. You should see some of the gear people were willing to drag all the way out there. Not just huge tower desktops but heavy CRT monitors as well. Just a thought - don't want to start anything... but could it be PC gamers are more macho than console gamers?

Back