Final Fantasy VII Remake

Ebony is the codename for old luminous isn't it?

Ebony was the temporary PS3 environment they used while they were still building up Luminous.

So, I can start playing FF7R much earlier than I expected to? Sweet!

If it feels disjointed and more linear I think it'll be for a worse experience. I wonder how many episodes they plan on making this. Doesn't this also rule out backtracking to get some skills or weapons you missed? :\ I wouldn't mind waiting for 2018 for a complete game tbh.

Interview info translated on GAF

Quick stuff from interviews

-they made multi-release since they would have to cut stuff out if they made it in one game. The detail of the game will be so dense, and you will be able to go to various locations within Midgar that you couldn't go before.
-there will be some stuff that has to be cut, but there will be lots of stuff added. overall volume will be big
-They are working with various companies outside, including CC2
-The battle system is real-time, action feel. The degree of action will be "Dissidia > Kingdom Hearts> FF7 remake" It will be more tactical.
-Although it's action style, it has ATB as well.
-You can control other party members, but you can keep control one if you want
-3 party members at a time like the original

[...]

some stuff I didn't put in my first summary

-Character model is supervised by Visual Work's director.
-They don't want to go with 100% realism for the characters since it might make it hard to recognize certain characters. So they are going as real as possible, while keeping the character's personality.
-Advent Children model data is over 10 years old so they can't really use it.
-Everything from the trailer (excluding the stuff that was shown from E3 reveal) was real-time. The end scene where Cloud gets off the train, it transitions directly to the gameplay.
-Cloud looking sick is partly due to the lighting. Nojima likes that Cloud looks very sick.
-Cross-dressing is obviously in the game, but Nomura didn't design it yet.
-All the party member's design is renewed like Barret.
-At first they thought of going with AC design of Barret, but decided not to.
-ATB and Limit gauge is there but they are different from the original. ATB turning red is something important.
-Battle tempo will be similar to Dissidia. Battle is done by people who has experience in both Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts..

Neogaf did a gameplay breakdwon topic. Pointing out that the ATB fills up when attacking and that when it turns red you can use special attacks/limit breaks ?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1152125

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/50/1449481707-ff7r-gif-atb.gif
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/50/1449481910-ff7r-special-attack-1.gif
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/50/1449482147-ff7r-special-attack-2.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/26tPlpwiACwBFN26s/giphy.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/d2YZkDrwASWS04GA/giphy.gif

Too many sparks and effects going on on screen during the fights in that early stage IMO. I think the ones when hitting an ennemy is unecessary, or they should tune it down.
Effects are nice but it's kinda distracting and blurring what's going on on the scene. I hope we can self adjust the camera position from far to close during gameplay.
Duscae demo before the update had a camera too close. But they changed it a bit with the update.

I' m glad we will be able to control the 3 members of the party. And wonder how tactical it's going to be without being a button smasher.

As for that episodic story. Well Cyberconnect2 is in charge as I understood so if you' ve checked the storymode of their games , and Naruto Franchise, maybe it's about having different Arcs.
Coverning different arcs in the game like :

- Bombing mission ( Midgar )
- Nibelheim memory prelude ( Nibelheim + Mansion )

What would worry me really is having to select those arcs independantly....And the content....And if episodic I don't want to be cut from gameplay/ storyline for too long. FFVII is the kind of game which I could put hours without watching the watch. But I hope it' ll be like purchasing the full game and having contents added up maybe ? little by little ? instead of Having FFVII Remake 1 then wait for months and FFVII remake part 2. That would back me off really...

But well still have FFXV....Hope they won't kill the project if it's like few hours of gameplay only then wait for the other episode., as long as they keep it like FFVII original 3 discs. i don't mind. If i remember when we were out of Midgar, the worldmap was kinda limited. And you coudln't go everywhere because of dangerous zones. Maybe it would be the same. So i don't mind if it's this formula and it works like Splitting the game like CD 1 , CD2 ,CD3. but keeping the content the same, gameplay same. Just maybe being able to access all areas or msot of all areas in the last part.
That would work for me !

And please Square : don't put the Gold saucer arcade games area & chocobo racing in DLC lol

Edit : More from Gaf

A rough translation of http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/173/1173362/

- About the details of splitting the game into episodes, please tell us more.

Kitase: From the beginning, we have considered it impossible to remake FF7 into one single game. Althought it's impossible to tell you the details about the splitting at the moment, please wait for our further announcement.

Nomura: If we tried to stuff the whole game into one release, some part of the game would have to appear as digests. We'd have to remove some contents from the game, and it would be difficult to add more to the game. Considering that a full remake of the original game must be achived, we have decided to split the game into episodes.

Kitase: Taking the No.8 street shown in the video this time, even just this is already highly dense. If we are to remake the content of the original version at that quality, it would have been impossible to do with a single release.

Splitting the original version into episode with nothing dropped, as well as adding complements, and remaking the game the game in its full volume is what we are thinking.

- How will the battle system look like?
Kitase: Unlike the encounter battles in the original version, we were aiming for a seamless active battle like shown in the video.

Nomura: Regarding the speed of the combat, as well as the sensation of tempo, we have considered something alongside Dissidia FF that you can play without stress. The degree of action would feel like Dissidia FF > KH > FF7 Remake.

We are trying to make a new action combat system that definitely demand no action technique, and let you consider your strategy during the combat.

- What would the elements in the battle system from the original version become?
Nomura: Since the game is based on FF7, elements like ATB gauge and limitbreak will appear but with new useage. Please wait for our further announcements on how they would evolve.

- Are you going to adjust the story in order to maintain connection to other compilations of the game, as well as adapting to the modern age?
Nomura: We are planning some mechanism to dig deeper into each episodes. Players who have played the original version surely would know everything from the beginning to the end of the game, including some very important moments. And we are planning to give even such users surprises.

Kitase: We are not going to remake a game so you only play for nostalgia. We want to make the hearts of the original fans pump. We are adjusting the storyline with this idea in mind.

Gamersyde quality trailer
http://www.gamersyde.com/telecharger_final_fantasy_vii_remake_psx_trailer-36311_fr.html

Last edited:
I noticed that cinematics have object motion blur, while that effect is missing in gameplay [Cloud is not blurred no matter how fast he is].

Few HQ screens [japanese interviews with devs confirmed everything except short glimpses at E3 CGI trailer were IN-GAME visuals]:

BYOfC9.png

7yZUae.png

6trcaQ.png

Last edited:
BS! This is about Square-Enix leeching as much money as possible from the fans of the game.
It'll be different, if you buy the game once and then the other parts are released episodically as part of the package without additional cost.

i know it may have way less polygons than advent children but the end result look as good if not better, at least for the face, clothes will be a lot simplier though for sure.

I don't even think the characters here sport an awful lot less polygons than they did in Advent Children. AC obviously has a big advantage when it comes to overall scene complexity and stuff like realistic cloth simulation. The characters themselves however really aren't all that detailed (you can spot polygonal edges during some close-up shots) After all that film was a straight-to-DVD release. It was never intended for theaters or revealing hd resolutions. This really shows when you watch it on blu ray.
Compared to the FMV quality seen in some of SE's later games (FFXIII in particular), Advent Children falls rather short.

I don't even think the characters here sport an awful lot less polygons than they did in Advent Children. AC obviously has a big advantage when it comes to overall scene complexity and stuff like realistic cloth simulation. The characters themselves however really aren't all that detailed (you can spot polygonal edges during some close-up shots) After all that film was a straight-to-DVD release. It was never intended for theaters or revealing hd resolutions. This really shows when you watch it on blu ray.
Compared to the FMV quality seen in some of SE's later games (FFXIII in particular), Advent Children falls rather short.
That's a great point. I should fire it up on Netflix - I saw it there a while back. I watched it in SD at the time it came out, I wonder what I'll see now in 1080p, even with the inherent Netflix compression.

I wonder how good the Netflix version is. The Blu-Ray is rather crummy. For most of it's running time it looks like an upscaled DVD (with some really off-putting scaling artifacts reminiscent of zsnes's 2×SaI). Only the added extra footage in the extended cut appears to be running at a native 1080p resolution.

For anyone who is thinking about watching Advent Children, I fully recommend "AC Complete" edition. They added a few minutes of story in it that makes entire film much more enjoyable [and easier] to watch.

edit - It is official.

Epic Games announced today that Square Enix is making the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Remake with Unreal Engine 4.

“We’re humbled that Square Enix has chosen Unreal Engine 4 to re-create one of the world’s most beloved video games of all time,” said Taka Kawasaki, territory manager for Epic Games Japan, in a press release sent to GamesBeat. “It is a joy to work with the talented developers behind the franchise, and this marks an unforgettable moment in Unreal Engine history.”

Other upcoming Square Enix games with Unreal Engine 4 include Dragon Quest XI and Kingdom Hearts III.

There are many good looking RPGs in the history that used UE before, i' m thinking about Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey and Magna Carta 2 , maybe Resonance of fate too if I remember.

For anyone who is thinking about watching Advent Children, I fully recommend "AC Complete" edition. They added a few minutes of story in it that makes entire film much more enjoyable [and easier] to watch.

edit - It is official.

Epic Games announced today that Square Enix is making the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Remake with Unreal Engine 4.

“We’re humbled that Square Enix has chosen Unreal Engine 4 to re-create one of the world’s most beloved video games of all time,” said Taka Kawasaki, territory manager for Epic Games Japan, in a press release sent to GamesBeat. “It is a joy to work with the talented developers behind the franchise, and this marks an unforgettable moment in Unreal Engine history.”

Other upcoming Square Enix games with Unreal Engine 4 include Dragon Quest XI and Kingdom Hearts III.
Bloom doesn't lie, lol.

VII-R is confirmed to be using Enlighten (same as Battlefront) for the excellent lighting.

"Additionally, graphics technology company Geomerics has announced their involvement in FF7 Remake as well, using their “award-winning global illumination technology, Enlighten, as the indirect lighting solution of choice.” According to the company’s own press statement, the “team will continue to work closely with Square Enix throughout development to ensure the final lighting quality exceeds expectations for this highly anticipated title.”

Is it baked GI in Battlefront?

VII-R is confirmed to be using Enlighten (same as Battlefront) for the excellent lighting.

Is it baked GI in Battlefront?
Not exactly baked lighting as it bakes the information needed to relight the scene really fast, not the lighting result itself.
Enlighten is more than capable to do dynamic GI in a game. (Moving, luminous surfaces and and turn light sources on/off,)

Anyway, excellent news.

Back