Final Fantasy VII Remake

I wonder how the other characters will look like. We' ve seen Barret and Avalanche members. But Cloud look hell more detailed. Don't know how much polys they' re sharing between every characters. But maybe Cloud and Sephiroth will have the better models ? Even Barret look like he's modeled like a secondary background character lol. Or Maybe because of the sun glasses.
I am also kind of puzzled by the budget of the project. To me I don't know if it's bigger than FFXV. It looks really good in the trailer. But I may believe the ressources for this Remake is not as big as we may thought. Square Enix proabably allocating more into new IPs and FFXVI.
I think we won't see the game before at least Fall 2017 Early 2018 ? We know Tabata hinted at a CG trailer for FF Type 1. And Nomura still at work on KH III.
Maybe they ll put a demo with FFXV.
The game will probably be semi-Linear. With that level of graphics. I don't think we will have a huge worldmap to freely go around. Nor having random encounters. They' re going for " Advent Children " graphic / fight sequence inspiration I think. And the game smells really fan-service. Which I don't really mind. Well still one of my most anticipated game and FFXV too still on my list !

FF15 was built from the start to support very open worlds, which forced Square to create their own engine for it.

I expect FF7R to be much more linear [as was PS1 version], and production of such game will probably be much easier and faster. The hard part is making sure gameplay is translated well, making it more in line with modern action games but retaining freedom in combat strategy and Materia systems.

One of the thing that I really liked in FF7 is the world map. The sense of traveling around the world and discovering something is the thing that is missing from modern FF. Grand Pulse in FF13 is close in feeling, but it felt a bit small. I don't really need the open world, but I need the sense of travelling and discovering something new or interesting, preferably world scale. Basically like the old RPG where you have a world map and usually near the end you have a way to explore it to the fullest. Hopefully they retain the world map thing.

The cutscenes in the trailer look to have some rather high quality motion blur and post processing, and also runs much smoother compared to the gameplay segments. It's probably a vertical slice trailer with pre-rendered cutscenes using game assets mixed with some real-time gameplay. Nomura did it before with XV's reveal trailer at e3 2013.
Though make note that the motion blur in the cutscenes has masking artifacts which means they're at least in-engine (except for the quick cuts near the beginning, those are CGI).

I am also kind of puzzled by the budget of the project. To me I don't know if it's bigger than FFXV. It looks really good in the trailer. But I may believe the ressources for this Remake is not as big as we may thought. Square Enix proabably allocating more into new IPs and FFXVI.
A lot of FFVX development has been about establishing pipelines for content creation. Now that they have a good understanding of PBR and so on it should cut on the development time a fair deal.

Though make note that the motion blur in the cutscenes has masking artifacts which means they're at least in-engine (except for the quick cuts near the beginning, those are CGI).

XV e3 2013 reveal had some notable game artifacts too, notice the specular aliasing on steps. But it was confirmed to be pre-rendered/pre-recorded footage in an interview later. Guess we'll have to wait for a Nomura interview on the specifics for this 7R trailer.

5QBb.png

XV e3 2013 reveal had some notable game artifacts too, notice the specular aliasing on steps. But it was confirmed to be pre-rendered/pre-recorded footage in an interview later. Guess we'll have to wait for a Nomura interview on the specifics for this 7R trailer.

5QBb.png
Considering the awful framerate of the gameplay segments I'm pretty sure it was pre-rendered, but in-engine.

Both great engines. Luminous and FFVII use of UE4. I' m really liking of devs are using it for this generation. From Tekken, to Guilty Gear to Naruto. UE4 is really versatile.
I remember the most impressive video of Luminous was the Lighting few years ago. But for Square Enix it was meant to be some kind of revival of japanese techi guys if I remember.
I don't know who is responsible for Crystal / Luminous Engine but I' m sure S-E will have learnt from it. I can't wait to learn more about the tech and use of this engine for FFVII R.
Hopefully we'll probably have a demo with FFXV when released and have the game ready for a fall 2017 release ?

oap2l4.jpg

hpS9Ihv.jpg

Last edited:
They should sell it to other developers. Might be a bit tough to translate from Japanese and get it to work, but how hard can it be?? Anisso troppuco furteru!

I think they're using a simpler shader. UE4 has a great skin shader (as shown by Paragon) but it doesn't look like it's been used in FFVII.

I am happy and concerned for the remake. I always wanted to experience FF7 in proper next gen form. But its no easy feat. A lot of the charm in FF7 was in the fact that our imagination filled in the blanks.
The cinematic prerendered background had their artistic appeal that it is not easy to achieve with real time graphics. For example the explosion scene in this video at 1:55 compared the original lost some of its artistic aspect
Some of the lines in the trailer are cheesy, but they most likely would have been perceived better as plain text. But maybe the game needs better voice actors too? Or was it intentional to retain some of its original childhood style?
Barret is different compared to its Advent Children design which I think fits better than the one we got in the trailer. He has a weird accent and I dont understand why SE decided to wear him glasses

5QBb.png
Hmm yeah to me FF15 has had some "downgrade" since that first reveal
Both great engines. Luminous and FFVII use of UE4. I' m really liking of devs are using it for this generation. From Tekken, to Guilty Gear to Naruto. UE4 is really versatile.
I remember the most impressive video of Luminous was the Lighting few years ago. But for Square Enix it was meant to be some kind of revival of japanese techi guys if I remember.
I don't know who is responsible for Crystal / Luminous Engine but I' m sure S-E will have learnt from it. I can't wait to learn more about the tech and use of this engine for FFVII R.
Hopefully we'll probably have a demo with FFXV when released and have the game ready for a fall 2017 release ?

oap2l4.jpg

hpS9Ihv.jpg
Was the FF7 image captured from a videofeed?

I am happy and concerned for the remake. I always wanted to experience FF7 in proper next gen form. But its no easy feat. A lot of the charm in FF7 was in the fact that our imagination filled in the blanks.
The cinematic prerendered background had their artistic appeal that it is not easy to achieve with real time graphics. For example the explosion scene in this video at 1:55 compared the original lost some of its artistic aspect
Some of the lines in the trailer are cheesy, but they most likely would have been perceived better as plain text. But maybe the game needs better voice actors too? Or was it intentional to retain some of its original childhood style?
Barret is different compared to its Advent Children design which I think fits better than the one we got in the trailer. He has a weird accent and I dont understand why SE decided to wear him glasses

Hmm yeah to me FF15 has had some "downgrade" since that first reveal

Was the FF7 image captured from a videofeed?

yes it's the last part of the trailer as seen here
http://i.imgur.com/Y8Iqw1V.jpg

Yes FFXV Had some part of the Yebis 2 engine If I remember correctly and was used in in Final Fantasy XV E3 2013 trailer. The effect like the reflection on the swords are gone.
So it had some downgrades.

I had no idea it used Yebis 2. Engince. SInce you mentioned it what happened to that engine? It was mighty impressive when it was demonstrated

yes it's the last part of the trailer as seen here
http://i.imgur.com/Y8Iqw1V.jpg

Yes FFXV Had some part of the Yebis 2 engine If I remember correctly and was used in in Final Fantasy XV E3 2013 trailer. The effect like the reflection on the swords are gone.
So it had some downgrades.

FFXV wasn't running on Luminous at E3 2013, it was another engine called Ebony.

Also, there were no extreme bloom highlights in the 2013 trailers. In terms of metallic reflections, Luminous handles them much more naturally:

rIjEkTt.jpg

Last edited:
Ebony is the codename for old luminous isn't it?
Not exactly. Most likely an R&D engine running on PC.

EDIT:

http://press.na.square-enix.com/rel...ii-remake-showcased-at-playstation-experience

LOS ANGELES (Dec. 6, 2015) - During this past weekend’s PlayStation Experience in San Francisco, SQUARE ENIX® debuted a new trailer for FINAL FANTASY® VII REMAKE, the full remake of the award-winning role-playing game, FINAL FANTASY VII. The new trailer features the first CG scenes as well as gameplay footage. FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.

Last edited:
While you boys argue about graphics, this just happened...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/12/07/psx-2015-final-fantasy-7-remake-will-be-a-multi-part-series

PSX 2015: FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE WILL BE A MULTI-PART SERIES

Each with its own "unique experience."
Square Enix has announced that Final Fantasy VII Remake will be released in multiple parts.

According to Square, Final Fantasy VII Remake will be "told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience."

No additional details were provided, including any kind of price or release timing for part one.

My boner has already retracted.

Back