Final Fantasy VII Remake

regarding this episodic debate ... I'll wait for complete edition release on the PS5, most likely.

If they are making FF7 remake why not make it as original pre-rendered backgound and high poly-count characters? ... they can go for highly original look.

They said it will be multi part, with each game giving a big chunk of experience [full-game like]. I think this is a very good move, we will get to play detailed remake of FF7 much sooner than waiting for a full game to be finished.

regarding this episodic debate ... I'll wait for complete edition release on the PS5, most likely.

If they are making FF7 remake why not make it as original pre-rendered backgound and high poly-count characters? ... they can go for highly original look.
I dont think it will be received very well with prerendered backgrounds. They are perceived as outdated. It will have also some implications in gameplay mechanics which again will be viewed as outdated

For someone who hasn't played the original on PS, do you guys think I can enjoy the emulated version on the ps4? I mean, I can say that MGS1 is enjoyable still but working around that camera and controls does make it painfull now. How does FFVII compare?

EDIT: Cos I really have my eye on ROgue Galaxy, smething I never got to play on my ps2 and FFVII is like considered the God Game but those screens don't look tempting at all.
I bought it yesterday out of nostalgia and to my surprise I am loving it. But probably I am loving it due to the fact that everything I experience in the game brings back wonderful memories. I was expecting to be bored by the turned based battles and be put off by the superdeformed characters. But to the contrary I strangely still like em. It helps also the fact that you can choose the game to run at triple speed which makes the pacing faster and the battles shorter. I enjoy it more for the gameplay now than when I did then.
There is a lot of content in this game. I believe you might still like it. The visuals are very clean on the PS4.

Is there a full screen option btw? I feel kinda awkward that the game display is still a square box

@Nesh there's that old saying that Role Playing Games were never about graphics...more about gameplay and story...only last and current gen consoles and RPGs have gone into the "pretty" territory which means bigger teams and more time to make them.

Hence my opinion that Square Enix projects took longer to make for said reasons...technically they should have been able to make much more games near the last three years of last gen. FFVIIR is technically being made much earlier in the console gen lifecycle so maybe the episodes make sense.

It's weird, I love the turn-based JRPGs. It's one of the things that still make it stand out. It puts that strategic element on it that I just enjoy about it. I also liked FFXII which was quite dynamic (and it was nicer to look at), but IMO, turn based is the way to go.

Yeah I must say I would have preferred the old experience updated instead of this and the episodic thing just sound total BS to me. It would have been great to get new stunning looking pre-rendered backdrops, new updated character models and well done voice acting, while keeping everything else the same including the battle system. Would have loved that!

I mostly agree. The original FF7 still had the only turn based combat system I actually really enjoyed, together with FF10. I didn't play 8 and 9.

After that they started mixing things up and just making everything so unnecessarily convoluted, I never connected as much as those two.

I also didn't connect with the characters at all compared to 7 and 10.

Last edited:
I mostly agree. The original FF7 still had the only turn based combat system I actually really enjoyed, together with FF10. I didn't play 8 and 9.

After that they started mixing things up and just making everything so unnecessarily convoluted, I never connected as much as those two.

I also didn't connect with the characters at all compared to 7 and 10.

You should pick them up, right now. Seriously - you haven't played FF8 and FF9? if you liked FF7, you need to play them. They are all very similar and epic in their own way. You have the turn based combat system - tick. You have the world-map and exploration - tick. You have the beautiful story - tick tick tick. While not as epic as FF7 arguably, 8 and 9 are right there and in their own way among my favorite Final Fantasys of all all time. Way better than the linearity that came with and since FFX.

the story is beautiful but really high with the "fantasy" part. There's also confusing design with one of the girl in FF8. im confused she wears pants or not :/

but the overall world variance in FF9 is better than 8. You got jungle, city, lots of designs in FF9.

I dont think it will be received very well with prerendered backgrounds. They are perceived as outdated. It will have also some implications in gameplay mechanics which again will be viewed as outdated
Maybe, but we didn't see this approach in any recent game. I always loved in FF7 when last frame of pre-rendered movie sequence was also background for gameplay, great example is opening of FF7 and polygonal Cloud jumping off the train. We could see characters with the same detail as in pre-rendered movies without PS4 rendering whole 3D world.

I always loved in FF7 when last frame of pre-rendered movie sequence was also background for gameplay, great example is opening of FF7 and polygonal Cloud jumping off the train.

This was of course much improved in FFVIII.

Damn reading all these comments about the original really wants me to replay it. Does anyone know how the localization is handled? E.g. If I buy it in a European/German PSN store, will I have the choice in which language I want to play this? All PS4 games have been flawless so far (in that English was the main language and other languages could usually be selected inside the game upon which the game would download the required files).

What's the point of that mish mash of segments, some from pre rendered FMV, some realtime, some cutscenes, some gameplay? Meh.

the story is beautiful but really high with the "fantasy" part. There's also confusing design with one of the girl in FF8. im confused she wears pants or not :/

but the overall world variance in FF9 is better than 8. You got jungle, city, lots of designs in FF9.
Is the fantasy part an issue? I loved 7 and 8 to the bone. I have 9 but I havent played almost anything yet of it

Back