Final Fantasy VII Remake

Btw the game have real-time reflection, even for stuff that should not need to have real-time reflection and the reflection looks very subtle. Just look for shiny but rough surface. It will reflect objects including chest, cloud, sword.

Many Scree Space effects sucha as post-processing, SSAO or SSreflections are often done as a pixel-shader over the G-buffer (a texture representing the geometric and material properties of everything on screen as a multi-layered 2D picture)

As is often the case with graphics code, branching does not save you much performance if at all, so making a shader that computes, say:

"For every pixel on screen, check its angle on screenspace and march a ray bouncing off of it and modulate the opacity based on the material's reflectivity"

is just as fast as:

"check first if the pixel is reflective and only if it actually is then march the reflection ray"

In fact, the second option might be slower because internally the GPU is doing the ray-marching for every-pixel anyway and just discarding the already computed results if the first check turns out negative and so the initial check just wasted extra compute and BW for no reason.

Albeit, there are some smarter algos that manage to make this kind of optimisation possible by dividing the work in multiple steps, but that on itself adds enough overhead that it might not be a win in every case.

Afterall, in a dynamic scene, you never know if your screen might end up completely covered by a highly reflective material, so you might as well progran your renderer in a way that its performance is agnostic to the amount of reflective pixels anyway.

VIIR was in development since 2014 with no engine switches, so it can't have been a time/budget problem when FFXV is still much more consistent after being completely rebooted in 2013 and released 3 years later as an open world. It's not just the textures but even some environment object geometry in the small corridors are really low LOD, it's baffling. With occlusion culling the game shouldn't even be rendering much else.

viir
finalfantasyviiremakewyjhf.png

xv
7cafinalfantasyxv20202wkah.png

viir
ffviirtex3grkjq.png

xv
eb4finalfantasyxv2020wmk8t.png

Really curious what's going on.
EVQJlE7XgAcf21e.jpg:orig
What in the world? Its like they left placeholder assets or they accidentally lost some portion of the game that was associated with the higher LOD versions of the assets.

What in the world? Its like they left placeholder assets or they accidentally lost some portion of the game that was associated with the higher LOD versions of the assets.

Yep. Honestly, sometimes I’m the first to say that we nit pick a bit much. But this is not nit picking. This is about setting a standard for a minimum acceptable result and here there are a lot of failures.

Hence why people are calling it a bug, and that a patch might follow. But I really fail to see how a whole level, quite big at that too, can simply fail to load properly?
I’d be ok with the pop in, but this? Trust me, I literally stood there in front of the now famous door waiting for the higher res texture to load, which never happened. And I do this everywhere.
Nah. I’ll try to take a few more screens cause it has to be seen to be believed.

AND! I’m writing all this, and saying it out loud while my partner is also playing it on his screen on the other side of our living room, and going “WTF are you on about, Cloud looks amazing, just enjoy the game!”

Context: his favourite game of all time was, of course, FF7. To the point that he has (very sexy) tattoos of Cloud, Tifa and all that.

But no, this is NOT me. It’s THEM. And NO I won’t “just enjoy the game”! Shut up!

*quarantine stories*

Last edited:
That doesn’t really explain the pipes made of literally three polygons.

The pipes on the flower slum? For me it finally loaded its LOD0 after rescuing filthy kids

Edit:
Seriously, if I can murder anyone, I'll murder EVERYONE on that slum.

1. Tons of forced walk
2. Wonky colission
3. Horrible LOD
4. THE NPC ANIMATION LOOP IS SUPER SHORT

Btw at least I can stole some stuff from the orphanage. Take that! Bwahaha a!

FFXV looks to be a more polished game.... The quality drop off in that was not as jarring as ff7r. I also have beeen playing ffxv in the weeks before ff7r. So its not just rose tinted nostalgia

Last edited:
The pipes on the flower slum? For me it finally loaded its LOD0 after rescuing filthy kids

Edit:
Seriously, if I can murder anyone, I'll murder EVERYONE on that slum.

1. Tons of forced walk
2. Wonky colission
3. Horrible LOD
4. THE NPC ANIMATION LOOP IS SUPER SHORT

Btw at least I can stole some stuff from the orphanage. Take that! Bwahaha a!

FFXV looks to be a more polished game.... The quality drop off in that was not as jarring as ff7r. I also have beeen playing ffxv in the weeks before ff7r. So its not just rose tinted nostalgia

I’d agree. I even thought that the part most people complained about in FF15 was the last part of the game where you went from open world to endless corridors, and not very fun at that either.

And that’s what FF7 is as far as I’ve seen! Sure the combat is great, it’s cute and everything but, and I hate to say this, but it feels like SquareEnix just thought people would buy this for the name (which is exactly what will happen), make sure Cloud looks like Advent Children, and forget about the standards they themselves have upheld for quite some time.

OR this indeed is an LOD issue and a patch will come and turn this into something resembling even the first section of the game (I doubt it), and I’ll very happily shut up!

And AGAIN - sorry, I really have nothing better to do - this is Final Fantasy 13 on PS3

IMG_5264.jpg

View attachment 3763

I WOULD BE HAPPY WITH THIS FOR THE FF7 REMAKE. PS3 (512mb RAM!) TEXTURES! This is much better than the current area I’m in, in the Remake.

I am not nit picking!

But I am half way through a bottle of Prosecco! And still I’m making a lot of sense!

Last edited:
And AGAIN - sorry, I really have nothing better to do - this is Final Fantasy 13 on PS3

View attachment 3760

I WOULD BE HAPPY WITH THIS FOR THE FF7 REMAKE. PS3 (512mb RAM!) TEXTURES! This is much better than the current area I’m in, in the Remake.

I am not nit picking!

But I am half way through a bottle of Prosecco! And still I’m making a lot of sense!

For anyone wondering if LB is saying hyperboles... Nope... It's real.

Similar greenery scene in ff7 remake looks horrible with crazy amount of low res textures And low poly models.

Edit :
Sewing that screenshot makes me realize that Aeris' walk animation looks similar to vanilla. Probably they use ff13 animation as a base? Or it's just the design direction coincidence...

They were not going to make an "open world game" out of midgar, and the original midgar is extremely linear.

FF15 is a completely different team that had a different engine and a completely different design priority, and the team working on that had 5 years and still shipped an incomplete product because they focused their attention on getting the engine to work and making the empty open world(much of which is walled off space).

Many people gave FF15 a hard time on its flaws because they just didnt like the rest of the game, gameplay, characters or whathaveyou. People have really enjoyed FF7R for the most part, and the characters and setting were already beloved and that gives technical issues more space to be forgiving.

FF7 is a game that was outsourced to an external developer(CC2) before it was brought in house 2 years ago. No one on the team likely had experience outside of crystal tools as business division 1 is made up of many staff from FF13 trilogy crew.

Mentioning all that, having slow walking sections to load in new areas, having rough textures is part and parcel. Considering how good many other parts of the game look, its quite likely that the inexperience with the engine in addition to the development cycle of the game caused a lot of technical headaches and compromises from a visual perspective in certain area/senvironments of the game.

Considering all of this, the game being as good as it is is a damn miracle outside of the visual blips. Are the technical issues annoying? Yes. But not game breaking in my view. And can likely be solved at a later date with stronger hardware and more time to flex with the engine now that they are working on part 2 as well.

For anyone wondering if LB is saying hyperboles... Nope... It's real.

Similar greenery scene in ff7 remake looks horrible with crazy amount of low res textures And low poly models.

Thank you. I don’t do hyperboles.

It makes me even more mad for the following points:

- how is the game even 100GB?????
- we have literally no guarantees that we will get anything better on PS5/XSX, if this can be considered acceptable for PS4 in 2020.

They were not going to make an "open world game" out of midgar, and the original midgar is extremely linear.

FF15 is a completely different team that had a different engine and a completely different design priority, and the team working on that had 5 years and still shipped an incomplete product because they focused their attention on getting the engine to work and making the empty open world(much of which is walled off space).

FF7 is a game that was outsourced to an external developer(CC2) before it was brought in house 2 years ago. No one on the team likely had experience outside of crystal tools as business division 1 is made up of many staff from FF13 trilogy crew.

Mentioning all that, having slow walking sections to load in new areas, having rough textures is part and parcel. Considering how good many other parts of the game look, its quite likely that the inexperience with the engine in addition to the development cycle of the game caused a lot of technical headaches and compromises from a visual perspective in certain area/senvironments of the game.

Considering all of this, the game being as good as it is is a damn miracle outside of the visual blips. Are the technical issues annoying? Yes. But not game breaking in my view. And can likely be solved at a later date with stronger hardware and more time to flex with the engine now that they are working on part 2 as well.

Hey I made it very clear that I literally have nothing better to do, but I’m sorry to say that I am not blowing this out of proportion. And I still have some hope that it can be fixed.

And as I said, the person next to me is like, whatever who cares.

But as it is, I’m extremely disappointed.

Is it “game breaking”? Of course not. The game works.

Sorry but if “good enough” with these results is the new standard, then I’m really worried about our future.

I genuinely think it's an issue of not enough development resource (time, etc).

Because the game starts AWESOME, then the more I progress... The visual quality gets wonkier.

If they did a proper PC port, these wonkyness will be gone. Heck, they probabaky could release 4k texture pack too.

Even if they did a straight port, because it's an unreal game, it's probably easy to fix on PC by editing the ini.

IIRC years ago multi platform UE3 games also have steaming issues on PC. Easily fixed by forcing huge allocation on the ini. Basically brute forcing to fix the issue due to the sheer size of PC available memory.

Hey I made it very clear that I literally have nothing better to do, but I’m sorry to say that I am not blowing this out of proportion. And I still have some hope that it can be fixed.

But as it is, I’m extremely disappointed.

Is it “game breaking”? Of course not. The game works.

Sorry but if “good enough” with these results is the new standard, then I’m really worried about our future.

I mean i would say you are blowing this out of proportion considering the amount of ranting posts you've made on it, as a person who played through the same game and beat it. I get having an issue with the visual blemishes, i really do. But its annoying seeing this kind of internet 'rage posting' on something in the grand scheme fixable.

I genuinely think it's an issue of not enough development resource (time, etc).

Because the game starts AWESOME, then the more I progress... The visual quality gets wonkier.

If they did a proper PC port, these wonkyness will be gone. Heck, they probabaky could release 4k texture pack too.

Even if they did a straight port, because it's an unreal game, it's probably easy to fix on PC by editing the ini.

IIRC years ago multi platform UE3 games also have steaming issues on PC. Easily fixed by forcing huge allocation on the ini. Basically brute forcing to fix the issue due to the sheer size of PC available memory.

I expect the PC version to be based on whatever they do with the PS5 patched edition which might have a small team dedicated to it already.

Actually I do think these wonky visual quality in ff7r is still good enough for the general people.

But what I don't understand is why reviewers didn't point that out? Even the arstechnica.com review di not point that out IIRC.

I mean i would say you are blowing this out of proportion considering the amount of ranting posts you've made on it, as a person who played through the same game and beat it. I get having an issue with the visual blemishes, i really do. But its annoying seeing this kind of internet 'rage posting' on something in the grand scheme fixable.

I really don’t want to be “one of those” so I do apologise for the rage posting, but I did also specify that I’m sitting at home, on a bank holiday weekend, after 3-4 weeks of quarantine with nothing better to do [emoji38]

Actually I do think these wonky visual quality in ff7r is still good enough for the general people.

But what I don't understand is why reviewers didn't point that out? Even the arstechnica.com review di not point that out IIRC.

They did point it out. A lot of them. And sure they’re good enough for most people. My boyfriend will attest to that. He couldn’t care less.

Back