Final Fantasy 12 - Reviews

I just finally got round to playing this game last week, a bit before the European launch because I was buying a cable from an import store anyway, and thanks to the weak buck it only cost me about 30 euros to buy it online. :D (some of the new games cost up to 60 euros)

Anyway, I think it's great. If you have an HDtv though, remember to switch off that flicker filter, as it looks much better without (on my Samsung anyway).

I'm about 4.5 hours into the game, and just died for the first time, in the dungeon level with the electricity eating monsters. I think I may be too weak, not having levelled up enough :(. But maybe I also have a lousy strategy. I'm now wondering for instance if I had to give that ex-prisoner (Captain Basch?) some weapons, or if I should just have tried to run through the whole dungeon and ignore all the monsters?

It seemed pretty darn hard all of a sudden, could definitely do with some tips!

This is usually how my Final Fantasy experiences end up short - I breeze through the game, and then suddenly I get some monster that is ridiculously hard in an area where I can't easily go back and grind, and I give up. FF7, FF8, both times I only played through the first disc.

You are talking about the spider things that feed off the wires?
if so then make sure you keep the area power above 70%, as it drops, more monsters spawn and you end up in a vicious cycle downwards. Always aim for the next spider eating the power, and try to get between him and the power conduit.
You can also go back to the save-jewel and touch it to get completely healed, then run back to where you were up to and continue..
Did you use the license board to level up hit points or get some spells? they are weak against something or other, i forget.. use libra to tell you what.
Don't be afraid to read the spoiler-free gamefaq guide, just go straight to the section you're having trouble and read about some good strategies. Usually I found in this game you don't have to grind and then over-power, there is almost always a fast way to do something, you just have to figure it out.

Do you have gambits at that point? If so Ally any First Aid does wonders on lower levels. The game will know to use the technique only when a character HP reaches critical status. I'm still really loving this game. I just got to the 100 hour mark, and I still have a few marks left and some story to finish, but this has got to be the first FF where I find the actual gameplay more interesting that the story. It's really solid and challenging. And I just love the gambit system, it should be in every game.

this has got to be the first FF where I find the actual gameplay more interesting that the story. It's really solid and challenging. And I just love the gambit system.

I agree, but partly because the story just isn't "all that" imo. The gameplay in itself is quite fun, although I wouldn't have mind if you could use the gambit system fully from the beginning, what's the point of restricting the player at the start, since you can still manually execute the commands? Fully operating gambit system was pretty good, although I must say that solid AI would probably work almost as well. All in all it was a fun game, but the story was not up to the usual FF standards.

I'm 40 hours in and I love this game more than any game I've played - ever.
The gambit system it's pure genius, it takes monotony out of the gameplay. I'm going to bet that this will be the norm in future RPGs.
It's difficult at some points, but I guess if you take your time and walk through the dungeons instead of teleporting, and if you do some monster hunting, you can level-up to a balance point that makes everithing very compelling.
The story is very good, the week point is that is seems more detached than previous FF, since it's more mature and "political" and it doesnt seem that it's up to you to save the world. But it's very good, and the acting seems to be very well done (since english is not my native language, I cannot be 100% sure).

I'm probably not getting the gambit system then... Cause i don't find it that cool or interesting... Sure a few changes made my game a lot easier... But i don't see much room for genius to be honest, apart the different targets to attack and the healing here and there... So i'm thinking i'm missing something...

I'm probably not getting the gambit system then... Cause i don't find it that cool or interesting... Sure a few changes made my game a lot easier... But i don't see much room for genius to be honest, apart the different targets to attack and the healing here and there... So i'm thinking i'm missing something...

You are. I mainly use it for buffs. It would be impossible/extremely annoying to keep all the buffs I keep on my characters without gambits. I usually have haste, protect, shell, bubble and regen on everyone. faith on the magic users, bravery, berserk and decoy on the main attacker. It makes me a powerhouse and without gambits I would never cast all that stuff every time it wears off. Plus the classic Curaja on undead and using the appropiate elemental spell on every target automatically is really nice. There's a lot to the system and I really really like it (probably because I'm uber lazy).

You are. I mainly use it for buffs. It would be impossible/extremely annoying to keep all the buffs I keep on my characters without gambits. I usually have haste, protect, shell, bubble and regen on everyone.

Yes this is a good point, I also had hastega, protectga and Shellga constantly on, and it really does make a huge difference. It let's you do quite a lot of nice adjustments, I just wish more was available from the get go as I found finding/buying new gambits to be extremely annoying.

I was also amazed how annoying it was to get the telekinesis technik... I thought that after having Larsa in the party with that skill, it would soon become available, but nooo! that Necrohol of Nabudis was quite hard place and it reguired the players to be at quite high level to get there, well atleast it was good place to level up the characters and fighting against flying enemies was pain in the ass without telekinesis as my characters only had melee weapons and magic will eventually run out.

Yes this is a good point, I also had hastega, protectga and Shellga constantly on, and it really does make a huge difference. It let's you do quite a lot of nice adjustments, I just wish more was available from the get go as I found finding/buying new gambits to be extremely annoying.

I was also amazed how annoying it was to get the telekinesis technik... I thought that after having Larsa in the party with that skill, it would soon become available, but nooo! that Necrohol of Nabudis was quite hard place and it reguired the players to be at quite high level to get there, well atleast it was good place to level up the characters and fighting against flying enemies was pain in the ass without telekinesis as my characters only had melee weapons and magic will eventually run out.

I actually never use technicks much since by the time I got them, they were pretty much useless. For example shades of black looked really good when I saw it on the license board, but by the time I got it I already has syphon and charge so it was useless. Telekenesis is also pretty useless to me now since berserked characters can't use technicks, I'd rather just use my mages to deal with flying creatures. I only ever use steal, libra and charge sometimes when no enemies are around (and I of course use gambits for this)

Ok next thing that is REALLY pissing me off about the game... I'm always broke. It's not that i'm not levelling up, cause i am, i'm actually quite overpowered now, but there just doesn't seem to be much money around to buy anything!! What's the point? I never agreed with the system that forced you to not only level up to get skills and spells, which would be fine as it's the way it's always been done, but then also forces you to BUY those skills - or even just the privilege to use different weapons! I wouldn't mind if i could accumulate enough cash, but i can't!! Everyone you kill is so broke that you could spend hours going through hundreds of fights, and still only have a few thousands to spend - when just the "privilege" to use a certain weapon costs you half of that!! And then from that amount you also have to buy supplies, spells, and everything else!!

Ok next thing that is REALLY pissing me off about the game... I'm always broke. It's not that i'm not levelling up, cause i am, i'm actually quite overpowered now, but there just doesn't seem to be much money around to buy anything!! What's the point? I never agreed with the system that forced you to not only level up to get skills and spells, which would be fine as it's the way it's always been done, but then also forces you to BUY those skills - or even just the privilege to use different weapons! I wouldn't mind if i could accumulate enough cash, but i can't!! Everyone you kill is so broke that you could spend hours going through hundreds of fights, and still only have a few thousands to spend - when just the "privilege" to use a certain weapon costs you half of that!! And then from that amount you also have to buy supplies, spells, and everything else!!

That's odd as I never felt broke, except maybe once when I spend all my money on a equipment that was basically useless and I couldn't afford to buy my old gear back. Try to make large chains and you get more valuable items... How far are you into the game BTW?

That's odd as I never felt broke, except maybe once when I spend all my money on a equipment that was basically useless and I couldn't afford to buy my old gear back. Try to make large chains and you get more valuable items... How far are you into the game BTW?

I never get to 0, but i only ever have money to buy one or two weapons for every "proper" shop you find, which is not very often... I only had the chance for ONE "shopping spree" where i bought a few spells and other things, and i just never have enough cash to feel "comfortable"...

I am in the Haas Caves - i think that's what it's called... The one where you have to switch red and blue switches to open doors, the one where at one point you turn one switch and something like a hundred jelly monsters appear out of nowhere... (oh i'm stuck by the way but i'll get some help when i get the chance to play the game again...)

I never get to 0, but i only ever have money to buy one or two weapons for every "proper" shop you find, which is not very often... I only had the chance for ONE "shopping spree" where i bought a few spells and other things, and i just never have enough cash to feel "comfortable"...

I am in the Haas Caves - i think that's what it's called... The one where you have to switch red and blue switches to open doors, the one where at one point you turn one switch and something like a hundred jelly monsters appear out of nowhere... (oh i'm stuck by the way but i'll get some help when i get the chance to play the game again...)

Well the only thing I can say basically is, kill more monsters... and try to make big chains while at it. I have to quess that you haven't done much of excessive leveling up? that helps with the money situation as well.

Heh I remember that spot when those jelly monsters appeared, it's quite a tough spot. I was on pretty high level at that point, but it was still quite hard. I remember that I killed few, then escaped to another room heal and buffed up and back into the fire, I probably had to escape twice in total to pull it through...

Have you been already in that jungle where Fran lives, that place has those cat-like creatures and their skin is pretty valuable...

Well the only thing I can say basically is, kill more monsters... and try to make big chains while at it. I have to quess that you haven't done much of excessive leveling up? that helps with the money situation as well.

Heh I remember that spot when those jelly monsters appeared, it's quite a tough spot. I was on pretty high level at that point, but it was still quite hard. I remember that I killed few, then escaped to another room heal and buffed up and back into the fire, I probably had to escape twice in total to pull it through...

Have you been already in that jungle where Fran lives, that place has those cat-like creatures and their skin is pretty valuable...

Yeah well i think i've done a LOT of levelling up - spent a few hours on it actually. I find killing pretty much everyone very easy (usually no more than 2 or 3 hits), which means i'm quite overpowered - still broke though. And yes i have been to that forest.

I'm actually stuck at that jelly monster bit. I open a door, open the other one but i just can't find a way to get through to the next section... I'll have to look at a walkthrough...

Yeah well i think i've done a LOT of levelling up - spent a few hours on it actually. I find killing pretty much everyone very easy (usually no more than 2 or 3 hits), which means i'm quite overpowered - still broke though. And yes i have been to that forest.

I'm actually stuck at that jelly monster bit. I open a door, open the other one but i just can't find a way to get through to the next section... I'll have to look at a walkthrough...

Well if you are overpowered then the problem ain't that bad. You have been able to purchase necessary equipment. I went back to that forest and some other places many times to grind levels and money.

So you have already killed those jelly monsters?
This is what I found from gamefaqs.

Gamefaqs said:
Press the gate switch, and prepare for an insane slime ambush. You may have
to resort to desperate measures (Belias, Quickenings, etc) since there are so
many, and you really don't want to die after all you've done.

With the switch pressed, take the west exit. You'll find yourself in a
familiar area and realize you've looped around. Once again head to the north
end and take the east exit. The path now will be slightly different due to
the gate switch. Take the north path which is no longer blocked. Make sure
to save your game.

Well no, i tried with quickenings and summons but i couldn't beat them all so i ran away when i had one character left alive :LOL:

:smile: heh you just have to go back and finish the job! atleast that's how I remember it...
Like I said I didn't kill them at once either, I ran away to a nearby room to buff myself up and then went back to lash out some punishment on those mofos!

:smile: heh you just have to go back and finish the job! atleast that's how I remember it...
Like I said I didn't kill them at once either, I ran away to a nearby room to buff myself up and then went back to lash out some punishment on those mofos!

See that's another thing that confuses me... I did that for one big fat monster (in the Giza Plains i think). I almost killed him, but i was gonna die sooner so i fled the battle... then when i got back, he was back at full health!!! I just assumed that if you flee, then go back to a "major" battle, the enemies re-spawn at full health...

See that's another thing that confuses me... I did that for one big fat monster (in the Giza Plains i think). I almost killed him, but i was gonna die sooner so i fled the battle... then when i got back, he was back at full health!!! I just assumed that if you flee, then go back to a "major" battle, the enemies re-spawn at full health...

Yes there are occasions where enemies do gain the health, but in some cases they don't. The slimy monsters don't regain any health, atleast dead slime remains dead slime. I only travelled to the next room so I'm not sure if some other actions might give different results, but I doubt that, I think they only spawn once.

Back