FIFA World Cup 2010

It was a thriller. Paraguay played really well, I thought, but they just couldn't keep up their intense defence. Pinball goal was funny to see, but the moves before it were great. Spain vs. Germany, Euro 2008 finale reprise.

Great game by Paraguay & Spain, what a show of absolute determination & clean football. One of the best matches imo. And hats off to players from both sides especially Casillas & Villar !!

Pinball goal was funny to see
Not once, not twice..but three times :p

football4-7.png

I would of thought germany slight favorites over spain but anyways
It's a quarter final. At this stage, all matches are equally extremely hard ...
um yes, whistles :)
though in football often the better team doesnt win.
Pity no huge surprises in this WK, uraguay in the semi-final would be the biggest

Ah, Germany spanked Argentina, I'm a happy man now, I don't care who wins. :)

Germany is looking really good right now though, I'm surprised bookies still have Spain as a slight favorite.

Heck, I'm slightly surprised they have the Dutch even with Germany.

Regards,
SB

Heck, I'm slightly surprised they have the Dutch even with Germany.
they rate germany higher than holland, its cause hollands path (via uraguay) is a lot easier than germanys (via spain) hence the having the same odds. (hmm did I explain that right)

if this was a group i.e. each team plays every other team + the winner wins the WK then the odds would be something like

spain 2.5
germany 2.7
holland 3.5
uraguay 13

I dont think Ill bet next round (I only did this weekend cause there was no rugby), since the odds arent that good. germany 2.70 vs spain 2.50 draw 3.20 + uraguay 5.85 vs holland 1.60 draw 3.50
hmm germany might be ok for $50 and holland for $100

You can bet on a draw? How does that work? They simply ignore the penalty shootout?

they rate germany higher than holland, its cause hollands path (via uraguay) is a lot easier than germanys (via spain) hence the having the same odds. (hmm did I explain that right)

Ah, right, I'd forgotten that bookies would have to take into account the opposition to overcome on the way to the championship.

Regards,
SB

It seems Thomas Müller will not play in the .de vs .es match. I still hope the Germans teach the Don Simon drinkers a lesson, though.

football4-7.png

I would of thought germany slight favorites over spain but anywayst

Betting and spreads are only partially about the odds. A lot of the lines have to do with evening the spreads, etc. There are even cases where lines can be wacky because more people will bet for one team vs the other. For instance, the willingness to bet among germans and spaniards can shift the line. You see it all the times in a lot of sports with line moving intra-week with no news or events to cause the shift other than the spreads between the two sides unbalancing.

The score @ 90 mins.

Ok.

I'm not sure by the way whether the German team should necessarily have better odds than the Netherlands. Both teams are very good, and the Netherlands has a near flawless record over all 20+ matches from the beginning of the qualifier rounds. This is what gives me, and I reckon the team ;), more confidence than most. In some ways, the Netherlands play more 'German' than the Germans themselves. The Germans do seem to handle the pressure of being in the lead better though. On the other hand, I feel that the Germans have had easier opponents throughout the Championship so far.

Also, why are the odds in favor of Spain over Germany? I'd bet on Germany for sure.

Another good performance from the Germans to stuff Argentina. However, the Argentinian defence played as badly as the English defence and their talented forwards, unbelievably, were much less effective than the rather average English midfielders/strikers. I don't rate the Spanish defenders too highly, I can't help but feel that they will prove a sterner test for the Germans.

The Spanish are lacking a bit of height, however, so I can see the Germans being a real threat from set-pieces and corners but overall, you'd still have to say the Spanish are favourites, especially with Villa in such fantastic form. Lahm vs Villa will be a great clash to see.

On the other hand, I feel that the Germans have had easier opponents throughout the Championship so far.
hmmm thats with germany being in one of the two groups of death (along with group G) and then playing england, argentina and spain
vs hollands route. non group of death then Slovakia + brazil + uruguay (ok brazil is a hard team)
but I think youll be about the only person on the planet that hollands route was more difficult of the two :)

The fact that Serbia had beaten Germany in group match should give boost to Spain's morale.

And the fact that Switzerland had beaten Spain in group match should give boost to Germany's morale. :)

All joking aside, I think this is going to be a fantastic match.

I wonder what odds you'd've got for both Argentina and Brazil being knocked out in the quarter finals?!

chavvdarrr said:
This just shows that with proper tactics, both Germany and Holland are vulnerable.
Brazil and Argentina (especially) were overconfident.

You mean both Germany and Spain? ;) I'm sure the same holds for Holland, but so far at least they stand undefeated from I think the very first qualifier?

Back