FIFA World Cup 2010

Regardless of the result, one of my friends is pretty happy with the final already. Before the tournament began, he laid a bet that the final would be between the Netherlands and Spain and got odds of 20-1 - knowing Andy, he'd have had at least 50 quid on that bet so he's a grand or more better off now!

Heh with so many guys from Netherlands, I thought someone would have got pissed about my previous post :)

I already won the bet with my friend (Spain vs Brazil), so I wouldn't mind if Netherlands win, I just don't see it happening... Well hopefully it's a good game

Quite a lot of big names predicting the win for Spain tomorrow, suggesting that they will dominate the field and pointing to the fact that in the last decade Spain won 70% of its matches, not to mention the European championship in 2008.

While I agree that makes them favorites, looking at the last 25 matches of these two teams shows a different picture. I reiterate that Spain has a scoring problem. And why did they finish equal with Chili in group H? Because they lost a match. Brasil was better than Portugal, better than Germany (Germany equally failed to score maximum points in group D, although at least they did win it), better than Paraguay surely - they needed penalties against Japan, which while underrated, were beaten by Holland. They swept the floor with Chili, who finished equal to Spain in group H. The only reason that we won from Brasil was that we do manage to pressure the ball into the net. We have a lot of very intelligent players and all of them excel at their clubs during the year, and all of these clubs are high up the ladder.

I'm not at all saying that the Dutch team is better than the Spanish team, but they both have strengths and weaknesses, and neither of them is a favorite unless you go by name alone, but by that definition France, England, Italy and even Argentinia were great teams also. Which they really weren't, imho. Nor were their opponents 'underrated'.

Right now the Dutch team themselves are very weary of Spain's field play - they know Spain, when given too much space either by being too offensive or too defensive, will totally dominate you on the field. They've seen Germany fail however by being too cautious, and I'm going to assume they don't make that same mistake. I think if the Dutch are aggressive enough, they may be able to hold their own in the field - they're really great at putting pressure on the ball and winning possession, and I think they may even equal Spain there. I'd say it's best for them to err on the side of offense, because when it comes down to it, the chances that Holland scores more goals than Spain when both teams play aggressively are pretty good.

I'm banking on the Netherlands this time, as long as they can hold their nerves and Spain doesn't find a way to score more than just one goal at the last minute, they can do it. They were decent enough in 2008, learnt valuable lessons and had a great run-up right up to this final (again, undefeated for over 25 matches straight). They're my favorites this time. And just because I'm Dutch, by the way, doesn't mean anything in this case ... I managed to go into a pub in Amsterdam for the quarter finals against Italy a few cups back wearing an official Italian team shirt. ;)

I'm banking on the Netherlands as well (as I have for years :p) , all they need to do is NOT waste the chances by taking stuff for granted. Also a little team play would help every once in a while, I'm not saying never play self cause players like Robben, Van Persie & Snijder would lose their charm & potential if they don't show a bit of selfishness (I believe Kuyt is the only person up front who plays a totally selfless game). Also Van Persie has been a huge waste this tournament, they should keep him on bench & bring Huntelaar right from start.

The Netherlands will bring righteous fury on FC Barcelona this Sunday.

All the psychic animals that are not going to end up as calamares are in agreement about this.

According to a report, Sea Life is going to let Paul predict the final (the Netherlands vs Spain). Also, one guy who didn't listen to the Octopus bet (and lose) 500K Euro on Germany last night, which seems to be the largest World Cup bet ever.
He should of done what I did + change his mind after paul picked spain. I also was gonna pick germany but instead decided to pick sneijder for the golden boot (cause of pauls choice).

Hopefully this doesnt become a common institute, eg at next years rugby WC Im guessing theres gonna be 10+ physic animal contenders at the start, as everyone will jump on the bandwagon seeking a bit of fame/fortune

uraguay $5.00 is a good bet, 3rd/4th spot is a game where the players hearts are not gonna be 100% thus could go the same way (*).
Now with the final spain $1.57 + holland $2.35, holland is the better bet (even if theyre not perhaps as skilled as the spainish) cause in the final ultimately its all gonna come down to nerves,desire

(*)actually I dont know why they have a 3rd/4th playoff (rhetorical, cause its all about cash), Ild preferred to see 8groups of 5 teams. i.e. all teams are in a little bit longer (4days) and also a bit of experimenting in the group stages.

Diego Forlan's a legend !! Any disagreement is invalid argument.
And why the hell did Muller got man of the match ? what did he do beside netting an open goal ? lol

Imo Forlan should be the strongest contender for player of the tournament. The way he carried Uruguay is commendable. And he also scored 5 goals (all awesome goals, not just goals scored from sitters)

And paul the octopuss predicts yet another correct match. If that Octopuss was a betting Octopuss he'd be rich and rolling in mollusks for life.

It'll be quite amazing if he ends up correct in his prediction for the final also.

Regards,
SB

It was a very entertaining match. Diego Forlán had a spectacular goal and a very near goal in the last seconds of overtime. If it had gone in, it would have been very special.

When two teams are very good in all areas, it's a battle at the limits which often doesn't look pretty. It's very tough. Dutch team is too eager and nervous, hopefully they calm down, and I hope van Bommel is exchanged for De Zeeuw. Kuyt is very nervous, and van Persie should only be in the field if van der Vaart is as well. If it continues like this they'll lose, but I've seen them come inyo the second half better in so many games, they still have a good shot. If they don't change one of the defenders with yellow though, I've seen that end badly too often.

comeon sneijder get the ball in the net!
not having a tv so cant watch it
looking at the bbc website, it seems the dutch should be down to 9 men, + the spanish should be thrashing them but hey thats football :)
As everyone expected a low scoring match + the 3rd/4th game was a high scoring one

hopefully the worldcup winner comes down to a coin toss (penalties)

1-0 shit

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes!!! Spain won.
I'm pretty happy as some workmates are originated from Spain :)
It's well deserved, even though the referee has been too loose with some usual suspect from Netherlands.
Hopefully Igniesta is not off-play... I can only imagine the scandal otherwise...

Well, Spain deserved it, even if the goal was preceded by an off-side. We shouldn't have needed all those yellow cards to keep them in check. We were too aggressive early on, not for attacking but for defending. It cost us dearly, and I think Huntelaar for van Persie and Ooijer instead of Rafael would have been better I think.

I guess that makes NZ the only unbeaten side ;)
well I got Sneijder as the top goal scoring but cause theres a few others tied I get bugger all cash, still it was fun.
I wonder if we'll see a surge of squid consumed in holland tonight?

back to the original odds, looks like the favorite won
football5-6.png

Congrats to Spain. They deserve to win after how the Dutch played. Such poor sportsmanship.

I completly agree.

Your fucking blind. That piece of shit refferee killed the match. Those Spanjols are the new Italians. Even air seems to make them fall down. For every small thing we got a foul and cards. The Spanjols didnt get anything while they did the same and worse. Not to mention that bald english fuckface cant even see 100% corners that even a blind person would see.

Jejejejejejejejejejejejejejejejejeje! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to Spain. They deserve to win after how the Dutch played. Such poor sportsmanship.

Your fucking blind. That piece of shit refferee killed the match. Those Spanjols are the new Italians. Even air seems to make them fall down. For every small thing we got a foul and cards. The Spanjols didnt get anything while they did the same and worse. Not to mention that bald english fuckface cant even see 100% corners that even a blind person would see.

Back