FIFA World Cup 2010

After regulation, play sets of 2 10 min halfs. After each set drop 2 players from each side. Betcha goals get scored once you get to 1v1.

OK, so you would prefer exhausting one player from each team to the edge of physical breakdown and then seeing which of them can score a goal, to find out which _team_ was the better?

Only just back on-line after a holiday and, my oh my, I still can't believe just how bad England have been during this World Cup! One half-decent performance against Slovenia was enough to get through a weak group but the mind simply boggles at the way our 'defence' played against the Germans!

None of the players have come out of the tournament with any credit at all and many, such as John Terry, have shown by their actions that they aren't fit to wear the shirt. God only knows what was wrong with Rooney this tournament because he was so far below par it was pretty ridiculous. My theory is that the fitness training regime and living at altitude for so long in the build-up has affected the players because little else can explain how they were, to a man, so listless and lacking in energy. A distinct lack of character shown by virtually every man in the squad.

Germany counter-attacked and took their goals very well but didn't exactly need to do too much the get them against that bunch of jokers. Surely the worst defensive line-up England have put out on a field for some years with only Cole playing capably. Germany play with a lot of youthful pace and freedom and I like the way that Ozil (one of the players of the tournament) orchestrates play. Despite this, I think it is likely that they will be knocked out next round, because if such a dreadful England 'team' can score a couple against them (regardless of what the utterly incompetent referee might think ;)) and have more shots on target/shots blocked/corners, then the best teams still left in the tournament won't find their defence enough of a barrier.

I've not seen too many full games, to tell the truth, but it is still looking like Spain and Brazil are my favourites as before the tournament began. Argentina have some great attackers but I'm not at all convinced about the quality of their defence. I have been pretty impressed with all the South Americans this year (and Mexico weren't bad either) - some excellent flowing football from even the weaker South American teams which was nice to see as previously many have been too defensive.

Netherlands 2 Brazil 1, with 20 minutes left. The favourites could have a problem...

and now down to 10 men...

and now out. Well, there's a shock.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a fantastic match. It was so tense and a lot of good football, but it was also very full of antagonism. The red card was okay, how the Netherlands couldn't score on that practically open goal mystifies me.

Still, Kaka did his best match this WC and Robinho had some incredible runs.

What a match ...

What a fantastic match. It was so tense and a lot of good football, but it was also very full of antagonism. The red card was okay, how the Netherlands couldn't score on that practically open goal mystifies me.

There were several big missed opportunities in the final phase, it was very clearly a combination of nerves and exhaustion, and Brasil came pretty close.

What a match ...

A real thriller, just as about all the previous meetings between The Netherlands and Brasil, but this time it ended well for us. I think Brasil quite nearly schooled us in the first half, but the team came out out the second half with exactly the right mindset, and crucially no changes to the team. Whereas Brasil forgot to notice that the reason they were doing so well in the first half is because they kept attacking, and then regrettably lost their cool.

I was impressed with Schneijder in this match, not even so much because he was at the basis of both goals, but because last week he said that the Brasilian keeper was weak when balls came in from the side and had to handle them directly. He used that knowledge flawlessly, and with maximum result. It's such a small thing, but so important.

Anyway, I almost wanted Brasil to win, because then 200 million people would have been happy, and now only 16,5 million ;) and they played very well. But The Netherlands deserves it almost equally, if you look at how consistently they've performed from the very first qualifier match up to now.

We are missing some very important people for the next match though ...

It's a quarter final. At this stage, all matches are equally extremely hard ...

It's a quarter final. At this stage, all matches are equally extremely hard ...

No. We beat Ghana easily not too long ago but the last time we beat Brasil is over 30 years ago. So its likely that in case we have to play against them it will be easier than against Brasil.

Anyway whatever the case we finally beat those bitches :LOL: Though next match they need to leave van Persie out. He's been playing like shit this whole tournament and it would be better to put in Elia.

Oh and we should build a statue for Kuyt. Everybody talks about Robben en sneijder but Kuyt just keeps on running and running.

I was very happy to see Netherlands win. I didn't believe it was going to happen as Brazil was much better in first half, but after the lucky equaliser Brasil was done. Now if Spain wins tomorrow my Brazil loving friend owes me 100e.

Oh and we should build a statue for Kuyt. Everybody talks about Robben en sneijder but Kuyt just keeps on running and running.
I used to hate Kuyt before cause he had a tendency to waste a lot of chance when he used to play as a CF. But now he's doing an awesome job as a winger/ left out.

I simply have a new found respect for that guy...he plays such a selfless game & works so hard. :yep2:
Sure he isn't as tricky or lets say full of skills as the fellow attacking players in the team but he more than makes up for it with his hardwork & non-selfish game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wtf was that ?
lol was he trying to play Volleyball ? Man its really a sad end to Luis Suarez's awesome run....but still his handball saved the team. A necessary sacrifice, a calculated risk...if Uruguay wins he's gonna be a hero :p

And wtf @ luck.
Gyan missing the penalty by hitting the post & game getting over.

Wow just wow...the most dramatic QF match EVER !

Both teams seemed to lack staying power, but towards the end Ghana seemed the better team. Paraguay was weak as a team the whole game, particularly in offense. People claim that Paraguay is 80% 2 people and 20% the rest, but you need to be able to go beyond that and surprise people buy using different attackers instead, to give your star strikers enough room. It's going to be interesting what missing (hero!) Suarez is going to do - it may force them to play better as a team. On paper it looks good for the Netherlands, but it will be hard to predict how they will play now or how our defense will hold up when missing some key players.

I realise better now that The Netherlands started more careful though btw, I missed that Mathijssen, probably our best defender, injured himself during the warm-up. His replacement had barely played, but he managed to do well.

Both teams seemed to lack staying power, but towards the end Ghana seemed the better team. Paraguay was weak as a team the whole game, particularly in offense. People claim that Paraguay is 80% 2 people and 20% the rest, but you need to be able to go beyond that and surprise people buy using different attackers instead, to give your star strikers enough room. It's going to be interesting what missing (hero!) Suarez is going to do - it may force them to play better as a team. On paper it looks good for the Netherlands, but it will be hard to predict how they will play now or how our defense will hold up when missing some key players.

Uruguay.

Paraguay get slaughtered by Spain tomorrow.

Oh. And Dirk Kuyt is an absolute rock. No the most skillful player around but always gives his all. Get that statue sorted as soon as you can.

Uruguay will be missing some key players as well.
And yea Ghana were the better team during the last few minutes...non-stop attack from their side.

Back