FIFA World Cup 2010

Congrats to Spain. They deserve to win after how the Dutch played. Such poor sportsmanship.

You must've not seen the 2 balls the Dutch gave back to Spain for fairness sake even though they had every right to play on.

Poor sportmanship or an overzealous ref? This wasn't his stage. It's incredibly frustrating to see the game halted every minute for him to make a huge spectacle of his little lectures. This is a contact sport and referees need to let people play the game. Worse than that, he just completely missed the offside before the goal.

That said, kudos to Spain for a deserved victory and to both teams for giving their everything.

I am heartbroken

Anyways I won't argue much...someone has to lose & someone has to win.
Ned played & they never let Spain play their dominating game...that just shows their capability.

Though I never got why the hell did van marwijk took out the best team player on field Kuyt & replaced him with a worthless player (Elia), the 2nd mistake was to have Van Persie in the lineup....one would think that after so much fail he had this tournament he'd get replaced by Huntelaar for atleast once. Also apparently some players need to learn taking confident shots with their bad foot. (looking at you Robben & Van Persie)

And wtf @ the ref deciding on a cards after listening to players from opposite team !!

So much shit:
18069430.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ned played & they never let Spain play their dominating game...that just shows their capability.

I'm not sure about that. They didn't dominate offensively obviously, but they leave the tournament having allowed only 2 goals scored against them.

And Spain's team isn't predicated on defense -> counterattack which makes that accomplishment even more amazing.

The level of ball control and athletics required for only 2 goals against versus world class competition when your team isn't built around defense is quite amazing.

On the other hand lack of scoring is certainly disappointing in a group with such players. But still...2 goals against in 7 games against the best teams in the world. Wow.

Regards,
SB

Your fucking blind.
and youre drunk (+ im jealous)
as in volkskrant.nl today
"De beste ploeg heeft de wereldtitel gewonnen. Dat concludeerde bondscoach Bert van Marwijk"
"Spanje was voetballend beter, hetgeen overigens geen verrassing was."
whilst I would of liked a dutch victory, it certainly wouldnt of been deserved

@nightshade some ppl said the player was offside when they scored the goal but with that picture you're showing he wasnt? (cheers for clearing it up) :)
I believe thats called scoring an own-goal in football parlance :D
Hopefully if anything comes out of this tournament is a few rule changes
A/ make the game more exciting, by making it payoff for teams to attack and not (as many do) play defensive
B/ technology
C/ punish theatrics

(edit) - just read
http://www.volkskrant.nl/sport/article1399441.ece/Kaartenrecord_tijdens_finale
apartently the 2nd highest number cards ever in a game (+ easily the most for a final), the current record is Nederland-Portugal from 2006 20yellow + 4 red, must of been a great game :)

That game sucked. Too much diving, both ways, too much whining and too many cards (some deserved, some not). I thought there should have been some kind of foul on Robben's second break, considering some of the other stuff that was called. The teams were both really playing the corners and free kicks poorly. That was a game that should have had a lot of scoring chances, but the free kicks and corners were mostly terrible. The second half was a bit better and overtime was ok.

So Barce^wSpain won the World Cup. That will keep people happy for a while and help them forget all the problems the country has right now. Good for them.

Spain certainly deserved to win as they dominated extra time and had numerous chances to get the winner then. A little more even during the first 90 minutes with both teams spurning a couple of excellent chances but the Dutch tactics of hacking the opposition players down at every given opportunity couldn't be continued as more and more of their players were correctly booked.

For all the moaning about the referee, I thought Webb did a pretty decent job in difficult circumstances and didn't get too much wrong. In fact, you'd have to say that he was very lenient and Holland were incredibly lucky to end the first half with 11 men on the pitch. We know that Van Bommel is a dirty bastard (and in another game he'd have received a straight red card for hacking through the back of Iniesta with no real attempt to play the ball) but it seemed that many of his teammates were attempting to emulate him. How De Jong avoided getting a straight red card for 'stamping' on Alonso's chest, I really don't know - even if it wasn't an intentional foul, he should have been sent off for dangerous play.

One refereeing mistake which favoured the Spanish was when Robben was fouled by Puyol in the second half. For a change, Robben actually stayed on his feet and when Casillas made the save I thought the referee should then have pulled play back, awarded the free-kick and given Puyol a red card. Overall, however, the referee was pretty fair and I think the Dutch manager's criticism of Webb is just distraction to try and shift the focus from the unpleasant tactics attempted by his team.

A pity, really, because I think an early goal might have led to a more entertaining game instead of the hack-fest which ensued.

Seems to me that everyone thinks the Dutch played extremely dirty while Spanish played fair...in reality however apart from the de jong kung fu kick I never saw anything that was overly brash, I thought they played a fair game with good sportsmanship for the most part. The dutch got more yellows than they deserved & the spanish got less than what they deserved. Jong deserved a red & so did Puyol, everything else was fine with the spanish doing scuba dives. Another thing to note is that Ramos fouled Elia & got the possession which led to the goal...no one noticed that.

It was as if the ref was giving out cards on request of spanish players, with him almost re-starting the game only to come back again & pull out a card cause the other team would complain.

But still Robben did mistakes THREE times, he had the chance to simply chip the ball & end the game right there during the very first try.
Imo they deserved to win & hence they made more chances than the spanish....but all was a simply wast due to "God knows what was Robben thinking"

P.S.[I'll still say taking Kuyt out & Van Bronchost during the last few minutes was a bad move by Marwijk]

To be honest, I wasn't convinced about the 'foul' on Elia. He seemed to go down a little easily for me, looking for the free-kick instead of really trying to get to the ball. I've seen free-kicks given in the past for similar clashes in the past, however.

There were one or two other nasty ones from the Dutch - Van Bommel hacked through the back of Iniesta when he had no chance of winning the ball and then later stamped on him a little when making a tackle (which prompted Iniesta to body-check him and knock him over). Sneijder studded a Spaniard in the groin area though perhaps this was merely a clumsy attempt at a tackle as opposed to anything nasty but Heitinga's first booking was given for an unnecessary kick on a Spanish player after the ball had gone. Overall, I think the Dutch came out to pressurise the opposition and physically rough them up a little but ended up getting a bit stuck in that mindset and committed too many unnecessary fouls. I was also disappointed that the Dutch were less of a threat than expected on the counter-attack as few of their midfielders and none of the defenders joined in the attack.

Overall, the Dutch did very well to reach the final without having a single striker in decent form but their limitations were badly exposed - Sneijder was less effective than in previous games and Robben missed his chances. Without those two players, there wasn't enough of a threat in the team.

In comparison, the Spaniards could bring on Fabregas and Navas, both of whom played well and caused problems.

A million yellow cards, but Spain deserved the win. De Jong's ninja kick should have been a red card.

Back