few Pictures... (no one interested though...)

Nexus said:
Your achievement with/the design of MBX is marvelous, but I would say the two chips don't play in the same league. Or do you see MBX being used in cellular phones next year?

I guess PowerVR finally found a market where they can act as a high end player 8)

Dave said:
Actually Glaze never had silicon.

So that chip on the other card (not the PDA one) on the pictures is not a Glaze3D, but one of these XBA Chip codenamed Avalanche? Can you confirm that it actualy is working?

Mephisto said:
Dave said:
Actually Glaze never had silicon.

So that chip on the other card (not the PDA one) on the pictures is not a Glaze3D, but one of these XBA Chip codenamed Avalanche? Can you confirm that it actualy is working?

AGP Card is Axe (also here known as Avalanche.)
Official word is that so far this version works, but eats helluva lot of power and heats up a lot. Next revision should be coming from Infineon with in few weeks and should have much less power consumption and produce less heat.

But please remeber that Axe is pretty much dead as a product. Infineon is shutting down their eDRAM line up in the end of the year. Bitboys have still decided to make Axe as finished as possible because they don't have anything to lose anymore. They have already filled their part of Infineon deal.

what comes to their future plans on desktop market, I think it is too early to discuss about it. afaik, They have some fancy things going on, but I am not sure how soon they are going to continue those things. atm, they have announced to focus on Mobile stuff at least forawhile.

Nappe1 said:

Hmm, I'm still confused. Why are there two codenames for the same? Or is Axe the codename of the 0.13u part and Avalanche would have been the 0.17u one?

Mephisto said:
Nappe1 said:

Hmm, I'm still confused. Why are there two codenames for the same? Or is Axe the codename of the 0.13u part and Avalanche would have been the 0.17u one?

Avalanche isn't codename. It's their trademark. and when it's was founded from TESS, Axe was next upcoming chip from them and that's why that chip is generally known with two names.

Bitboys never themselves said that Axe will be called as Avalanche.
(btw, they have also trademarks like: Avalanche Dual and Arias.) First one is a easy guess (and not even guess for me.) and second one is mystery. (perhaps product name for this Mobile core/chip??)

Mephisto said:
Ahh, thanks for clearing this up =)

no problem. :)

if there are something other things you might want to ask, I can also try to answer them. If the information is available and can be discussed. :)

It seems odd that they're continuing to pour money into the infineon process, even though they know no product will come out of it.

Certainly they could switch and target another fab...? (Unless this work is being done on infineon's deutchmark, but why would they do that?)

RussSchultz said:
It seems odd that they're continuing to pour money into the infineon process, even though they know no product will come out of it.

Certainly they could switch and target another fab...? (Unless this work is being done on infineon's deutchmark, but why would they do that?)
no they don't pour money on it. Bitboys have fullfilled thier part of the deal. Infineon is now filling their part. So it's all kind of "income" from Infineon now.

they have already new fab partner and it will be announced in the near future.

A new fab partner huh? Does that mean when they bring there card to market it'll be cheaper than if they had stayed with Infineon?

at the moment it looks like they aren't going to make Desktop products at the near future.

moving chip with complexity of Axe on the very proprietary eDRAM process to company like Bitboys would take a way too much time to be still competitive.

as said they have something on the R&D line, but right now main focus is on the Mobile chip / core.

They should make somewhat workable prototype

What I would like to see is a finished enough XBA chip to make a board that can be rewieved by Tom's HWG, Anandtect etc. just to shut up all the morons. And to get ATI, NVidia etc. to have something to think about :)

If that happens BB's reputition among "techies" would be better even if they newer release that chip/card.

linthat22 said:
A new fab partner huh? Does that mean when they bring there card to market it'll be cheaper than if they had stayed with Infineon?

I think it means that present chip must be redesigned partly/mostly? there is only a handfull of eDram manufactures and their processes are different requiring modifications to the chip.

Back