Ferrari's - or rather Kimi's - secret revealed!

I am less impressed with Hamilton's "success" than I am with McLaren for having signed him.
You realize of course that he's been a McLaren protege for years, right?

The only interesting thing about McLaren giving him a racing seat is that Ron Dennis usually have gone for more experienced drivers and let their proteges drive for another, smaller team for a while before letting them drive for McLaren.

But still the most impressive thing atm is the fact that McLaren got their act together again - though it's probably just due the fact the engines have now rpm limits which they didn't have before (19k rpm it was, I think?)

I'm not really surprised at all. McLaren have fantastic resources behind then and the fact that they have had a considerable budget spike this year due to lots of sponcership from Spanish companies, courtesy of their Alonso signing, it looks like they have the budget to run the wind tunnel 24/7.

However, its not just this, its also due to changes in F1 have come back to favouring their design again - Autosport pointed out in the Christmas issue. For the past few seasons McLarens have been fairly neutral in terms of their balance, so they tend to spread the load quite evenly across all the tires. If you remember two years back they suddenly found competetiveness again - this was due the rules that year not allowing tire changes during the race and so both tire manufacturers basically had to make tires that wore evenly from the fronts to the rears (which also results in a wider front tire), something that suits the McLaren balance very much, but less so the Renault's which are very torque'y cars with a heavy rearward bias. In '06 the change to the rules to allow tire changes again meant that the all round wear wasnt an issue so Michelin went back to a mix that utimately favoured Renault again. Now that Michelin are out of the picture and Bridgestone are basically providing the "control" tires they are producing large front tires, with a more even wear rate - again, playing to balance naturally favoured by McLarens design (and we can see that its absolutely killing Renault and their rearward bias now).

This was actually one of the main concerns when Alonso came to McLaren, that he wouldn't be able to get used to the balance of the chassis. It looked like it wasn't going to be an issue for him through much of testing, however on the strength of the performances on Sunday you may begin to wonder if the balance may begin to favour Hamilton more... (Damn, he's going to be interesting to watch in Europe, when he's on very familiar tracks).

I think Maclaren have also changed their strategy quite a bit. Before, they used to run heavier in fuel, hoping they could outlast everyone and get clear air while everyone pitted before them. Of course by then, their tyres were knackered, and they were often caught in traffic.

Now it seems they realise they can't start halfway down the grid and rely on still having decent tyres and being able to get through the traffic because everyone else has pitted before them. They seem to be actually trying hard to get to the top of the grid so they can start fast and get a clear track in front of them, and control the pace of the cars behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget that Mercedes bought the majority of McLaren shares last year and has taken over the command now.

I think Maclaren have also changed their strategy quite a bit. Before, they used to run heavier in fuel, hoping they could outlast everyone and get clear air while everyone pitted before them. Of course by then, their tyres were knackered, and they were often caught in traffic.

Now it seems they realise they can't start halfway down the grid and rely on still having decent tyres and being able to get through the traffic because everyone else has pitted before them. They seem to be actually trying hard to get to the top of the grid so they can start fast and get a clear track in front of them, and control the pace of the cars behind.

McLaren actually was insanely "gentle" on the Michelin tires, even after the full race their tires, even though changed during the race of course, looked like they're brand new compared to the competitors.

So you guys think the 19k RPM limit is the main reason for McLaren's apparent reliability now?

I remember Kimi blowing engines and stuff en masse in 2005..

So you guys think the 19k RPM limit is the main reason for McLaren's apparent reliability now?

I remember Kimi blowing engines and stuff en masse in 2005..

I believe it's the biggest single reason, yes.

So they own more than 40% nowadays?

EDIT: got it wrong, Mercedes is the biggest shareholder now

However on 9 January 2007 it was announced that Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company, wholly owned by the kingdom of Bahrain, intended to purchase 15% from both Dennis and Ojjeh. The shareholding will thus be DaimlerChrysler 40%, Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company 30%, Ron Dennis 15% and Mansour Ojjeh 15%

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it's the biggest single reason, yes.

Its not. I read about this yesterday. It seems to all come down to the tires. The mclaren is a very balanced car while the Renault is balanced most to the rear of the car. With the new tires the rear tires wear down to fast on the renault. That's why renault is doing so bad and Mclaren is doing so well. Their car is suited more for the kind of tires we have now.

What I know of it now with the RPM limit the engines are all pretty close to each other in term of performance so I doubt that can make the impact it has on mclaren now. Chassis and tires are probably alot more important wich shows if you look at the performance of teams who buy engines from top teams.

Its not. I read about this yesterday. It seems to all come down to the tires. The mclaren is a very balanced car while the Renault is balanced most to the rear of the car. With the new tires the rear tires wear down to fast on the renault. That's why renault is doing so bad and Mclaren is doing so well. Their car is suited more for the kind of tires we have now.

What I know of it now with the RPM limit the engines are all pretty close to each other in term of performance so I doubt that can make the impact it has on mclaren now. Chassis and tires are probably alot more important wich shows if you look at the performance of teams who buy engines from top teams.

Ehm, you seem to mix up "performance" and "reliability" somehow :???:

McLaren was last season probably the most gentle car when it came to the tires, it however didn't stop the engines from blowing up, gearboxes failing and what not. And being balanced on tires again this season, even though the brand is is different and tires as well, wouldn't stop those from happening either.

I never claimed that the performance is due the 19k RPM limit, but the reliability is, at least imo.

Reliability is likely due to the RPM limits. Last year, McLaren was visibly down on HP and Kimi would over drive the car to get it to perform which left the whole car in a delicate state. This led to failures. I'm sure to make up for the lack of power, other components in the car were stressed to the limit to find speed.

This year, with RPM limits, they can go back to strengthening the entire car and not have to worry about power too much. Ofcourse, they always did have the handling balance.

Ehm, you seem to mix up "performance" and "reliability" somehow :???:

Arhg second time in 2 days i didnt read your posts right :(

As far as RPM goes wernt there actually teams last year that already limited their engines to 19.000rpm? I remember hearing the Ferrari of last year already didnt output more that that. Wich wouldnt be that strange as they needed to give their engine for this year to the FIA at the end of last season so they probably used the whole season to get their engine for this season right. But I could be wrong here.

I think I remember them revving up way over 20s last season. They had the meter on screen in many races when showing the cockpit view.

Back