Fast Racing Neo 60 fps futuristic racing game based on F-Zero [ WU]

Full-fledged Digital Foundry article in honour of Fast Racing Neo. (man, that's nice, it certainly deviates from the typical DF style) . The game features many excellent effects. Only issue is the resolution, imho, but the resolution itself doesn't matter as much, it's the upscaling thing that can be an issue because I think it can cause motion sickness at such resolution..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-fast-racing-neo

9.bmp.jpg

Very nice looking game overall, and I actually kind of like how the reconstruction artifacts look.

I'm don't think it's the best looking game on the platform, but for 5 people they did an incredible job.

I wonder how many people 1 credit cleared F-Zero AX, it's a very deep game you better have at home.

As for Fast Racing, Wii version, I wonder why it went unnoticed, because Shin'en has an excellent reputation overall. I totally missed that game, too, which is weird, because I am always up to date, in the loop, when it comes to futuristic racers, regardless of the platform.

In your case, if you have thw WiiU, you needn't worry, Nintendo machines are always backwards compatible, which is a great approach, if you ask me.

I'll add another video to wrap up on F-Zero AX/GX but I'll say the following...I always tried to find local Arcades in my area and was fortunate to have played and watched against a few skilled arcade games players years ago.

I did manage to find many of the deluxe, twin and multiple linked cabinets of certain famous "Arcade smash hits"

Unfortunately games magazines in the U.S. were taking a major nose dive in coverage in the early 2000s but I did know of and found only the Mario Kart GP linked arcade machine...never saw F-Zero AX and was recently depressed to find out that Sega-Namco-Nintendo were planning a Starfox Arcade game (definitely NOT related to the console games on GameCube) but was cancelled and most likely never got past internal development.

The Arcade scene is still alive in Japan but it's because Sega, Namco and few others own their own entertainment complexes (if you've played Yakuza on PS3 there's a virtual version of what one of them looks like)

Despite doom and gloom and current gen consoles having all this power...Arcades can still exist with custom cabinet designs which imo have already implemented nearly every possible near-simulation ideas...

Anyway if you've ever played at the arcades there is a clear distinction of quarter munchers and skills based...despite the apparent steep learning curve in F-Zero AX, I would theorize it's no different than playing any other skills based arcade game only the memory card integration and arcade card use actually makes these games easier (once you build your skills on home version or adapt in cabinet controls)

I played a few of the Initial D series which gave you a card which you needed to load and update data while playing solo or versus live players.

As for Fast Racing...yeah...you and me both...I will clearly blame both print and websites coverage...in the last fifteen years...certain games keep getting coverage or talked about to the point that it makes it seem like no other games are out there.

This is a problem with relying on these media...sources and iirc Demons Souls in Japan (before it was revealed that Sony cancelled localization outside Japan out of fear of said reviewers) started catching fire with hardcore gamers...those few of us who managed to notice something about it...yet I never saw a print cover story on the game...not even on the official U.S. PlayStation print magazine (I could be wrong but I'm talking when finally localized or before, not years later) including websites other than forums.

If a game is appealing and fun and not a blatant copy of another game, it will get a following. That's part of the reason the reviewers constant insistence that this dev should be hired for a F-Zero/remake is as bad and silly as Killzone 2 being complained about for not playing like Call of Duty back in the day. Or making a Ridge Racer that doesn't play or have the spirit of the actual series. Might as well make Halo a CoD clone if that's the case.

All these genres will always have a game that sticks out. Despite the Wii U's perceived limitations it doesn't mean it can't have impressive custom made games on it.

If I can play that in VR without getting ill, that'll be a good sign of VR's future for sure! :)

Back