Riptide GP2 comes out to consoles tomorrow. Jet sky racing, 60 glorious fps.. F-Zero like gameplay!!

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Tomorrow, January 23th, Riptide GP2 comes out! (Xbox One version, I think that it is going to have a PS4 version, not entirely sure).

Riptide GP2 is a game from the developers of Hydro Thunder Hurricane -one of the games I played the most on the Xbox 360 - and personally it belongs to one of my favorite genres -I mean anything similar to F-Zero.

The game runs at 60 fps :) and 1080p.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Riptide-GP2-Is-Coming-to-Xbox-One-This-Week-Video-470696.shtml

riptide_gp2.jpg

B7z9VKJIEAAa07m.png

The game has been out on phones for a year now, but the experience is much enhanced on next gen consoles. ID@Xbox is going to stream it via Twitch just ahead of its release, which happens January 23th.

http://www.windowscentral.com/riptide-gp2-get-idxbox-showcase-ahead-january-23-release

I am going to get it day one if the price is reasonable.

Nice, I really enjoyed Hydro Thunder.

Riptide, like it's predecessor, has 4 player splitscreen local multiplayer, something sorely missing from games these days.

It better be running at 60fps. It still looks like a bloody phone game after all. Like the old saying goes: you can dress a turd in a tuxedo, but at the end of the day it's still a turd.

It better be running at 60fps. It still looks like a bloody phone game after all. Like the old saying goes: you can dress a turd in a tuxedo, but at the end of the day it's still a turd.
heh, a monkey in silk is a monkey no less. As technology on consoles has progressed I expect some improvements compared to the phone game --Hydro Thunder Hurricane looked quite good on the X360, it was just that it ran at 30 fps...-.

It has been a year since it was released on phones, so it's not just the increase in resolution, framerate is 60 fps -I don't think that's the case on phones- and the game can be seen on Twitch before it's released. I guess the screengrabs are from the mobile version.

I am purchasing more ID@Xbox games as of late than big AAA releases as of late, because of my limited HD space and weak economy, plus they are quite fun to boot -Magic 2015, Tetris Ultimate, and tomorrow, Riptide GP2-.

I got the game. Its priced at 4,99€, 3,99 british pounds, and 4,99 dollars. For that price I'd recommend it. It's not as complex as Hydro Thunder Hurricane but it is fun!! There are a lot of events and machines to unlock, it keeps you on the edge.

The game is just a rezzed-up version of the mobile game, which means that it runs at 1080p, 60 fps, but the assets didn't change much, I think.

http://www.windowscentral.com/riptide-gp2-never-looked-better-xbox-one

Finally.. the Xbox One version official trailer:

A fun, addicting game. Still, the game has some little improvements compared to the mobile version, but it shows it's based on a game for mobile devices, 'cos of the initial loading screen -directly taken from the mobile version- and there is some pop-in at times, but the game's execution is flawless, and it always run at 60 fps. For that price I'd recommend it, and it only does weigh 181MB.

Actually it's not like the old times, consoles are influenced by the PC now and getting their act together, with offers nobody can resist. Consoles games used to be much more expensive, and now deals are applied every week. :smile2:

Last edited:
I picked up GP2 on the weekend. It's a bit basic as a single player game, although it is very smooth and better looking than I was expecting from the linked vids.

Where it shines is as a couch multiplayer game. Being somewhat old, and also old-skool, I prefer my multiplayer gaming to be with real actual physical people in the same real actual physical room.

At the start of this gen I was concerned that multiple-humans-in-a-room gaming was a dying concept but there's a decent library of local multiplayer games building like Trials, Minecraft, Halo and GP2.

The price point makes it good value if you have couch buddies. Not so sure I'd pay for it if it was single-player only.

I picked up GP2 on the weekend. It's a bit basic as a single player game, although it is very smooth and better looking than I was expecting from the linked vids.

Where it shines is as a couch multiplayer game. Being somewhat old, and also old-skool, I prefer my multiplayer gaming to be with real actual physical people in the same real actual physical room.

At the start of this gen I was concerned that multiple-humans-in-a-room gaming was a dying concept but there's a decent library of local multiplayer games building like Trials, Minecraft, Halo and GP2.

The price point makes it good value if you have couch buddies. Not so sure I'd pay for it if it was single-player only.
Well, your philosophy could apply in my case, if one of my siblings wanted to play the game. One of them got hooked to Powerstar Golf, taking over my Xbox One. :)

I am playing the game in single player mode for the most part, just making money to buy new machines. It keeps me hooked. I think the game is worth it..at that price. For a more expensive price tag I wouldn't pay more if it's not like Hydro Thunder Hurricane at 60 fps -it was a more complete game but ran at 30 fps on the X360-.

On another note, that old school feeling you are talking about is something that will never die, I think, like people preferring vintage cars over most modern ones, I expect something similar happening to videogames when it gets to a point videogames are virtualised.

I rather prefer local machines, not depending on a server, not having to deal with lag or streaming -that way it feels more like you are playing a video than a game-..but that's another story.

when's this coming to PS4?
I am not really sure, but it was developed for mobiles first, unlike their previous game (Hydro Thunder Hurricane) which was initially a X360 exclusive, and then it was ported to Windows 8.1 -there is a demo, I think-. So there will be a PS4 version, perhaps, but the developers' track record of released games doesn't show a game published on systems other than PC and Xbox.

Back