Fast Racing Neo 60 fps futuristic racing game based on F-Zero [ WU]

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
First official trailer of this game:

Probably the best game in the WiiU library as of now, if they can pull off a high quality game. I don't expect F-Zero, but it seems fun

/url]

90s Arcade and Console style futurist hover racer and tech wonder brought to amazing life on Nintendo Wii U.

Sega's Sega Super GT aka S.C.U.D. Racer, Daytona 2 Battle on the Edge, F-Zero, bits of Wipeout, bits of a Saturn only early racing game that had a stage with giant space worms on a planet.

Asteroids, zero-g jumps, going under a massive aquarium (Sega Super GT/SCUD Racer)

Maybe bits of Ridge Racer before the bugbear travesty, tragedy and fiasco.

Skills based arcade racing...I know Star Wars Pod Racer had borrowed elements too...

Looks technologically very impressive.

Will Sony or Microsoft or a multiplat or Nintendo bring back their previous attempts (Bloodwake for MS) or attempt to make new ones?

Last edited:
Hard to recount a timeline of 3D racing games without mention Atari Games' S.T.U.N. Runner... :)

It was before its time, one might say. Technically ambitious, held back by flawed technology, but really cool anyway. I liked it a lot in my youth.

/url]

90s Arcade and Console style futurist hover racer and tech wonder brought to amazing life on Nintendo Wii U.

Sega's Sega Super GT aka S.C.U.D. Racer, Daytona 2 Battle on the Edge, F-Zero, bits of Wipeout, bits of a Saturn only early racing game that had a stage with giant space worms on a planet.

Asteroids, zero-g jumps, going under a massive aquarium (Sega Super GT/SCUD Racer)

Maybe bits of Ridge Racer before the bugbear travesty, tragedy and fiasco.

Skills based arcade racing...I know Star Wars Pod Racer had borrowed elements too...

Looks technologically very impressive.

Will Sony or Microsoft or a multiplat or Nintendo bring back their previous attempts (Bloodwake for MS) or attempt to make new ones?
This game looks spectacular -it also shows WiiU's particular lighting compared to PS4 and X1-, and believe it or not, I am always looking for F-Zero like games to be released on the X1, which is the console I have this generation. I check the store every day. It's a shame that there aren't games like this on current consoles. :( :( :( :(

Overall F-Zero is my favourite racing series. :) :)

I have never tried Blood Wake -something to look forward to-, alas, but the original Xbox had quite a few futuristic racing games. Power Drome and Quantum Redshift are two examples of this. I'd say Quantum Redshift was the best of both, but it lacked the thrill of F-Zero games, the flow of the game felt slower and clumsier.

Fatal Ínertia was released on the X360, but it was pretty weak, imho. So my only choice on Xbox consoles to play half decent F-Zero lookalikes was the XBLiG -how much I miss that, iD@Xbox is not the same as the old XBLA and XBLiG for indies. :( :(

And there it was Antigrav Racing Championship series. :) Good games all of them and seemed to run at 120fps or the like -problem was the quite occasional fps drops- and got engaged to the point I completed them.

upload_2015-12-6_13-56-24.png

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/P...pionship/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025855035f

Fast Racing Neo looks amazing and if a F-Zero game is released on the NX, I am going to buy the NX just to play it, if money permits.

Last edited:
Hard to recount a timeline of 3D racing games without mention Atari Games' S.T.U.N. Runner... :)

It was before its time, one might say. Technically ambitious, held back by flawed technology, but really cool anyway. I liked it a lot in my youth.
Loved the Lynx version of STUN RUNNER.

Fast racing neo looks really good.
Thanks, I got the Lynxtalgia Mini emulator -1,5€, for Windows Phone and Windows- because of that suggestion, and the ROM is available too, so... I am currently playing F-Zero Maximum Velocity on the phone too, got past Normal on all championships and got the Sly Joker ship, which is a great machine.

wow, once you get past the pixilation I am impressed with the graphics of the Atari Lynx. :oops::oops: The game seems to have auto acceleration, and I keep shooting around with one of the buttons and need to get stars to get the shockwave. I need to try more Atari Lynx games after this, the tech is quite impressive for a handheld of the time. :oops::oops:

I am downloading the ROMS here, the portraits of each game are quite descriptive of how the Lynx game looked.

http://www.coolrom.com/roms/atarilynx/

I still have my Lynx and à copy of STUN RUNNER. You should try dracula, altered beast, hard drivin, awesome golf, blue lightning and many more.

I loved f-zero snes n64 and gamecube. Fast racing neo looks like a great spiritual successor.

I still have my Lynx and à copy of STUN RUNNER. You should try dracula, altered beast, hard drivin, awesome golf, blue lightning and many more.

I loved f-zero snes n64 and gamecube. Fast racing neo looks like a great spiritual successor.
Does it still work? This is my current queue of Atari Lynx roms to download: :D :)

1. Toki
2. APB - All Points Bulletin
3. RoadBlasters
4. Jimmy Conner's Tennis
5. Awesome Golf
6. Blue Lightning
7. Rampage
8. Gauntlet - The Third Encounter
9. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
10. Raiden
11. Rygar - Legendary Warrior
12. Ninja Gaiden
13. Todd's Adventure in Slime World
14. Shadow of the Beast
15. California Games
16. Double Dragon
17. Hydra
18. Ninja Gaiden 3 - The Ancient Ship of Doom
19. Hockey
20. Hard Drivin'
21. Road Riot 4WD
22. Super Off-Road
23. Steel Talons
24. Switchblade 2
25. Super Skweek
26. Batman Returns
27. Shanghai
28. Checkered Flag
29. Chip's Challenge
30. Crystal Mines 2
31. Rampart
32. Scrapyard Dog
33. Klax
34. Warbirds
35. Basketbrawl
36. Baseball Heroes
37. Bubble Trouble
38. Battle Wheels

In regards to Fast Racing Neo, it doesn't have much to envy to those games, although F-Zero has that something that's very difficult to capture, and Sega did an amazing job with GX, although gameplay wise I find F-Zero X to be one of the best in the series, along with the SNES and GBA versions.

I was ffortunate enough to find a few local arcade operators who carri ed stuff like Hard Driving, Race and Driving and other early Atari polygon graphics style games...

Unfortunately I don't believe I paid much attention To Stun Runner but it spikes a long standing belief i held back in the 90s that Sega Saturn should have stayed as their console while Naomi should have stayed in arcades until at least a safer console jump in 2001...

While Nintendo should have standardized their 4MB expansion pack as a requirement alot earlier along with hitting the cartridge cieling.

Because believe it or not, SanFrancisco Rush was a hit on N64 and spawned two sequels and console power wise the N64 versions and ppotential could have been realized with the 4MB expack and also Mace the Dark Age which suffered from framerate performance issues actually had a bit of a following which also could have spawned sequels and Atari's Arcade devs would have made a killing on N64 ports and originals.

This game looks spectacular -it also shows WiiU's particular lighting compared to PS4 and X1-, and believe it or not, I am always looking for F-Zero like games to be released on the X1, which is the console I have this generation. I check the store every day. It's a shame that there aren't games like this on current consoles. :( :( :( :(

Overall F-Zero is my favourite racing series. :) :)

I have never tried Blood Wake -something to look forward to-, alas, but the original Xbox had quite a few futuristic racing games. Power Drome and Quantum Redshift are two examples of this. I'd say Quantum Redshift was the best of both, but it lacked the thrill of F-Zero games, the flow of the game felt slower and clumsier.

Fatal Ínertia was released on the X360, but it was pretty weak, imho. So my only choice on Xbox consoles to play half decent F-Zero lookalikes was the XBLiG -how much I miss that, iD@Xbox is not the same as the old XBLA and XBLiG for indies. :( :(

And there it was Antigrav Racing Championship series. :) Good games all of them and seemed to run at 120fps or the like -problem was the quite occasional fps drops- and got engaged to the point I completed them.

View attachment 1043

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/P...pionship/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025855035f

Fast Racing Neo looks amazing and if a F-Zero game is released on the NX, I am going to buy the NX just to play it, if money permits.

Wii U has its own bit of power however i do not see FRN as a F-Zero spiritual successor...it seems too casual friendly and is a different game...what it does have in spirit is the amalgamation of 90s Arcade sitdown machines with complex polygon animated stages in a sort of amusement park vibe which is what Sega and Namco and Midway were doing here and there.

Xbox has its shooter reputation because unlike in xbox 1 days the games MS was funding were more diverse as first party efforts hence the lost Bloodwake which is water racing shooting...

I implied if FRN breaks even or gets decent sales on Wii U then perhaps other devs will try.

Cyan, post: 1885559, member: 9277"]....i to Fast Racing Neo, it doesn't have much to envy to those games, although F-Zero has that something that's very difficult to capture, and Sega did an amazing job with GX, although gameplay wise I find F-Zero X to be one of the best in the series, along with the SNES and GBA versions.

Again i dont believe FRN is trying to be F-Zero...it is actually easy to just copy a game...there have been games out there copying others blatantly.

F-Zero GX has distinction that it was a true arcade developed game for consoles since it was Sega and there was an arcade sit down machine while GX had extended console content...poor sales or gamer apathy sealed its fate.

The game does have a graphical power display on Wii U which ironically in its third year is starting to show some really amazing looking games even if its smoke and mirrors because x360 and PS3 are more powerfull...

There were arcade style attempts last gen just not what it could have been.

If a Sony PS4 or Xbone first party effort gets approval then we can expect the wiz bang pixel counting amd checklist effects.

Wii U has its own bit of power however i do not see FRN as a F-Zero spiritual successor...it seems too casual friendly and is a different game...what it does have in spirit is the amalgamation of 90s Arcade sitdown machines with complex polygon animated stages in a sort of amusement park vibe which is what Sega and Namco and Midway were doing here and there.
Well, the game, as I hinted at before, lacks the refinement of a F-Zero, but I'd love to have a game like that on the X1, but no luck... And it might be a while before it happens. I have something like 70 X1 games, then retrocompatible games galore, but I don't have my futuristic racer and there are days I don't want to use the console 'cos of that. I am playing F-Zero Maximum Velocity and other GBA F-Zero games because I have the bug.

Xbox has its shooter reputation because unlike in xbox 1 days the games MS was funding were more diverse as first party efforts hence the lost Bloodwake which is water racing shooting...

I implied if FRN breaks even or gets decent sales on Wii U then perhaps other devs will try.
yes, you are right. Xbox -the original- had plenty of original games and most games were exclusive -like in the SNES/Megadrive era where both consoles had tons of exclusive games-.

Sometimes I wonder where are Voodoo Vince, Project Gotham Racing :love::love:, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Age of Empires, another exclusive futuristic racing game, Age of Mythology, Fusion Frenzy, Lost Odyssey (X360), Miltown Madness, a new Ryse... a Tork: Prehistoric Punk, a new 99 Nights..

MS Game Studios have plenty of games to choose from.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Studios

Again i dont believe FRN is trying to be F-Zero...it is actually easy to just copy a game...there have been games out there copying others blatantly.

F-Zero GX has distinction that it was a true arcade developed game for consoles since it was Sega and there was an arcade sit down machine while GX had extended console content...poor sales or gamer apathy sealed its fate.

The game does have a graphical power display on Wii U which ironically in its third year is starting to show some really amazing looking games even if its smoke and mirrors because x360 and PS3 are more powerfull...

There were arcade style attempts last gen just not what it could have been.

If a Sony PS4 or Xbone first party effort gets approval then we can expect the wiz bang pixel counting amd checklist effects.
yes, and not much else. I hate this generation, it's the worst generation ever, imho.

It's the generation of remakes and remasters, a gen where original and fresh ideas like the previous generation are totally absent -no Mass Effect, no Skyrim, no Dragon Age, no Oblivion), a generation where CoD exclusive maps and stupid Destiny third party deals are the thing, and where consoles feel more like clones than ever -XB1 and PS4 are the same thing, save a few touches here and there-, and the WiiU is not as original as the Wii, though it probably has the best library of games.

At least we have Life is Strange, or 60 fps old skhool games like Wolfenstein, and some gems here and there, but this generation isn't going to make history, imho.

Reviews compendium (nice scores)

upload_2015-12-8_17-48-18.png

Compared to F-Zero GX, you can judge yourself, but it's so praiseworthy to achieve that level of quality.

Sweet god, F-Zero GX makes you feel alive.

Last edited:
Well, the game, as I hinted at before, lacks the refinement of a F-Zero, but I'd love to have a game like the X1, but no luck... And it might be a while before it happens. I have something like 70 X1 games, then retrocompatible games galore, but I don't have my futuristic racer and there are days I don't want to use the console 'cos of that. I am playing F-Zero Maximum Velocity and other GBA F-Zero games because I have the bug.

Give the devs of FRN a break...even the reviews should...this is an arcade style racer that has many influences from arcade only and consoles and is made for a console like Wii U where currently there isn't any competition.

Also this is a small dev...refinement is an earned quality just go and play Street Fighter 1 (the actual first one, even MK 1) it's ok to compare but it's bad to wish it was something else when these guys are also trying to make a name for themselves.

Note too that F-Zero GX was very different because it was developed by a very hardcore arcade dev...F-Zero X (N64) was the first to go 3d polygon graphics and as I implied, most of Nintendo 64 games needed sequels and time and an earlier standardized 4MB expansion pack requirement (and delayed to 2001 Dreamcast) I say that as a tech fan...(Pilotwings 64-2 on max cart+4MB ex-pack should have existed dammit...that an Super Mario 64-2...)

Now that their game is out it would be better to see how it does in sales and what project is...I really prefer if a Wipeout or F-Zero sequel is made, it's made from the dev scope of first party...

It sucks to get a vibe from reviewers that a 3rd party game on Wii U is getting wished to be a GameCube game.

Eventually Nintendo will have to do an F-Zero GX HD on Wii U where they can test the gamer audience on funding a new version.

yes, you are right. Xbox -the original- had plenty of original games and most games were exclusive -like in the SNES/Megadrive era where both consoles had tons of exclusive games-.

Sometimes I wonder where are Voodoo Vince, Project Gotham Racing :love::love:, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Age of Empires, another exclusive futuristic racing game, Age of Mythology, Fusion Frenzy, Lost Odyssey (X360), Miltown Madness, a new Ryse... a Tork: Prehistoric Punk, a new 99 Nights..

MS Game Studios have plenty of games to choose from.

Sales played a role in many of those MS Games Studios not getting initial release sales however the greater xbox audience played a bigger role because they kept going or staying in Halos and CoDs and Gears shooters...MS did try and I give them credit for it...they should focus on original content...and better remakes/remasters that dont offer anything but a new skin/resolution.

yes, and not much else. I hate this generation, it's the worst generation ever, imho.

It's the generation of remakes and remasters, a gen where original and fresh ideas like the previous generation are totally absent -no Mass Effect, no Skyrim, no Dragon Age, no Oblivion), a generation where CoD exclusive maps and stupid Destiny third party deals are the thing, and where consoles feel more like clones than ever -XB1 and PS4 are the same thing, save a few touches here and there-, and the WiiU is not as original as the Wii, though it probably has the best library of games.

At least we have Life is Strange, or 60 fps old skhool games like Wolfenstein, and some gems here and there, but this generation isn't going to make history, imho.

Woah hold on...its true that current gen consoles are rather under-cooked and did show up a bit too soon by at least over a year and kinect along with online play is what has been causing a degeneration of console games the last two gens because online mp usually turns into deathmatch or team deathmatch and certain gamers and reviewers (who at times are choosy on coverage hence bias) are in equal blame.

But some of the game sequels you want still have to obey the laws of game development and that is that a newer revision of a 3d engine to game concept still takes an average of two to three+ years...

No gen is free of remakes and remasters and such projects are actually very good ideas, profitable and help rather than hurt.

GTA V remaster-enhanced on current consoles helped sales and transition people. Not to mention help Rockstar devs to get familiar with current consoles and they should have immediately followed suit with a GTA IV remaster-enhanced...

MS did drop the ball on Gears 1 remaster and..the Halo collection however on Sony PS4, having The Last of Us remaster actually helped to get ND much more advanced, paved the way for the heavily enhanced Uncharted Collection and gives people who did not own last gen consoles the option to try.

I really feel that remasters and remakes are far superior to a "port" or even backward compatibility which failed on PS3 being that it launched as a swiss army knife and console gamers did not appreciate it...now they complain...too bad.

Theres no doubt that new games are coming but as for Xone, MS should have tried remakes or remasters to shake off their reputation.

Although Wii U has slow console sales and their new NX is being talked about...whos to say that a few titles may show up gathering sales and word of mouth?

Fast Racing Neo definetly is one that should help...

Also iirc when Wipeout HD came the devs were talking that their targets were very ambitious and (expensive) meaning imho a Killzone 2 level of funding/dev was needed and you can only manage limited resources here or there.

Iirc and imho the devs may have implied a wish to target the PS1 Wipeout CGi intros which was definetly possible on PS3...sales is a different risk story.

Just wanted to add for posterity, the first video is F-Zero AX deluxe arcade cabinet and the second video is Fast Racing on Wii (the Wii prequel to Fast Racing Neo) which seems very similar to the much improved sequel...must have slipped under the radar back then.

Last edited:

Just wanted to add for posterity, the first video is F-Zero AX deluxe arcade cabinet and the second video is Fast Racing on Wii (the Wii prequel to Fast Racing Neo) which seems very similar to the much improved sequel...must have slipped under the radar back then.
I wonder how many people 1 credit cleared F-Zero AX, it's a very deep game you better have at home.

As for Fast Racing, Wii version, I wonder why it went unnoticed, because Shin'en has an excellent reputation overall. I totally missed that game, too, which is weird, because I am always up to date, in the loop, when it comes to futuristic racers, regardless of the platform.

In your case, if you have thw WiiU, you needn't worry, Nintendo machines are always backwards compatible, which is a great approach, if you ask me.

Back