Far Cry 3 announced

I saw a benchmark for this, the other day. I'm totally looking forward to it, but have a feeling it's going to tear even the most powerful machines a new one. I'm talking i7's with 680's getting like 32 FPS.

Hopefully, some new drivers will be released prior to launch.

It runs on PS3 and 360, so hoping that the PC version can scale well enough ...

Anyone know if it supports 360 controller on pc? The steam listing for the game does not list controller support :(

I've Googled it a bit and I found enough material to be confident that it does have a pad support.

here is one.
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/far-cry-3/1226715p1.html

All of the keyboard and mouse controls are completely remappable. There's gamepad support here as well, but it doesn't activate on the fly -- you'll have to go into the menus to manually enable it.

I saw a benchmark for this, the other day. I'm totally looking forward to it, but have a feeling it's going to tear even the most powerful machines a new one. I'm talking i7's with 680's getting like 32 FPS.

Hopefully, some new drivers will be released prior to launch.

Certainly don't really see anything in the videos to suggest that so either it really is capable of much higher quality and as usual they're released lower quality for consoles sake, or it's just another bad console port?

Certainly don't really see anything in the videos to suggest that so either it really is capable of much higher quality and as usual they're released lower quality for consoles sake, or it's just another bad console port?

It probably runs great on low end hardware if you run it around the same as the console settings. The extras PC-versions get these days seem to be really taxing, but don't really offer the visual upgrade the performance penalty would imply.

Aside from generally shitty game design, I thought Far Cry 2 was just a really bad shooter. In Rage for instance, the shooting feels "right". In FC2 it feels very very wrong.

Same with Battlefield BC2 vs BF3. I really like BF3, but for some reason shooting does not feel quite right in that game, whilst in BC2 it feels spot on.
Mind you FC2 has a much much worse feel than BF3.

Unfortunately this is not something I can explain as I don't know what determines the "feel" of a shooter.
Seems like a combination of mouse sensitivity/acceleration, input lag, enemy health, enemy reactions to being shot (They continue firing with deadeye accuracy while being pelted repeatedly in the chest by multiple assault rifle rounds. It's okay for the player character to have that ability, not the npc bad guys.), movement of the player character, "head bobbing" and some other stuff too probably.

So if they haven't got that fixed in FC3, whatever that is, I don't think I'm gonna like it.

Gamepad support is good.

Not sure what to think about the graphics. I play it Ultra, 1080p with 4xMSAA. Sometimes it is like playing bullshots.

But at daylight, there is so much shimmering and flickering going on that it is really heavy on the eye, played 30min and had to stop now, even a little bit headache. Not sure if it is related to this game...

Is it me, or HBAO is actually worse than HDAO in the game? Wasn't the first one supposed to be the highest quality method anyway? It's probably up to a personal preference, but I quite dislike the overexposed dark-halo effect, produced by HBAO. HDAO, on the other hand, is much more subtle and gentle.

Gamepad support is good.

Not sure what to think about the graphics. I play it Ultra, 1080p with 4xMSAA. Sometimes it is like playing bullshots.

But at daylight, there is so much shimmering and flickering going on that it is really heavy on the eye, played 30min and had to stop now, even a little bit headache. Not sure if it is related to this game...

What's your system specs and hows it run? Anyone who actually has their hands on a copy mind posting some screens of it?

What's your system specs and hows it run? Anyone who actually has their hands on a copy mind posting some screens of it?

I have i7 920, gtx 670 and the new nvidia beta driver. Runs very good, no problems so far, but I am only about 30min in the game.

D3D10/10.1 are dead now that AMD essentially ended support for those generations.

What about weapon customization? A lot of the videos I see show off the customization options, suppressors, optics, extended mags, whatever, but fail to mention whether or not you can add more than one option to a weapon?

It probably runs great on low end hardware if you run it around the same as the console settings. The extras PC-versions get these days seem to be really taxing, but don't really offer the visual upgrade the performance penalty would imply.

Honestly I get the feeling the graphical extras PC platforms get are being used as learning tools for next gen consoles, or are simply brute forced into the game if your name isn't John Carmack(Rage is slow as hell too but for entirely different reasons!).

Argh. Just redeemed my free Far Cry 3 code, and it's not on Steam. /sigh. That's hugely annoying as UBIsoft only allows you to download it directly from them for 2 years after your purchase, WTF?

Even more reason I hate (actually make that HATE) using any other online storefront than Steam. At least with Steam I don't have to worry about keeping a backup copy of the game if I ever want to play it again. Stupid freaking publisher run online stores. Hate them hate them hate them hate them.

Regards,
SB

Back