Far Cry 3 announced

Try to lower some of the advanced graphics settings. There is no specific options to reduce the CPU load, though.
Here is a benchmark summary, done at low resolution w/o AA -- the game pretty much peaks at 4 cores and from there it's all about clock-rate and CPU architecture:

di-BL1N.png

Is the game playable on a slower GPU? i.e. 8800GT, A10, 5770, GTX 650 etc.

yes, in lower res the game works OK with a Radeon 5700 with high settings, in 1080p I suppose you need to lower details further to medium or low,
and don't expect anything much higher than 40FPS,
but on a lower end PC I would be worried about CPU performance,

Try to lower some of the advanced graphics settings. There is no specific options to reduce the CPU load, though.
Here is a benchmark summary, done at low resolution w/o AA -- the game pretty much peaks at 4 cores and from there it's all about clock-rate and CPU architecture:

Oh, thanks for the info. I have an i7 920 and the benchmark says 45 average...exactly what I get! Hm, what is so CPU demanding in this game?

Game is great fun so far. I don't like open world...but combine this with XP to lvl up and a crafting system to enhance your stats...count me in :)

DF mentioned in their face off that in the first PC patch multicore rendering in DX11 mode is patched out as it was unstable and buged???

Could this be the reason the game is CPU bound currently? As it uses only one CPU core? Hard to believe somehow...

It doesn't seem to be particularly CPU starved for me, but this reading is only after the first mission:

di-XPBJ.png

Anyway, I'm more limited by my old trusty GTX570, despite the lowly 1680x1050 monitor.

By the way, the latest driver from Nvidia apparently benefits mostly the GF110-based cards, compared to Kepler's gains.

It doesn't seem to be particularly CPU starved for me, but this reading is only after the first mission:

di-XPBJ.png

Anyway, I'm more limited by my old trusty GTX570, despite the lowly 1680x1050 monitor.

By the way, the latest driver from Nvidia apparently benefits mostly the GF110-based cards, compared to Kepler's gains.

it's harder to go by the task manager because your CPU supports HT and the strange thread scheduling,
but on my I3 I see from 60-70% CPU usage from 4 threads (limiting the just the 2 cores gives me near 100% for both cores), and I'm clearly limited by the CPU in some parts...

I also did quick test setting affinity, with a single core the framerate dropped to 14FPS, using 1 core with HT increased it to 24(!!), 2 cores 34, add HT to both cores and it was a small increase to 36-37.

anyway, at 4GHz I would expect a quad core nehalem to run the game quite well indeed,

Hm, in the city amanaki (or so) it seems that I am cpu bound. Independent of the resolution, I get 45 Hz. Is there an option to decrease cpu load?

I think I read that the game lets you set the fov in it's settings, so maybe try a smaller fov? That would at least let you keep gpu settings maxed out so everything will still look at it's best, but in theory should reduce cpu load.

Johan Andersson ‏@repi said:
Finally can play #farcry3, wooho. Thanks @azagoth who found crash w/ 32+ HW threads which I have (2x Xeon E5-2687W), disabled HT for now
Fix to a >32 thread problem for those whom it may concern.. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone whose actually played this shed some light on what exactly the community island is? I'm kinda hoping there's a poker game which you can play against other players. I wanna challenge my buddy to Hold 'Em.

Can anyone whose actually played this shed some light on what exactly the community island is? I'm kinda hoping there's a poker game which you can play against other players. I wanna challenge my buddy to Hold 'Em.

I haven't tried any of that yet, but I would guess that's where you share and download user created maps?

That is the old policy from when they hosted the games they sold directly through Digital River. It doesn't apply anymore with the new Uplay store. When they released the new client it automatically found my copies of Conviction and Assassin's Creed 2 bought well over 2 years ago and I am freely able to redownload them.

Well, I hope that is the case, but it appears to be downloading through Digital River, so I'm not sure anything really has changed for this.

And as I feared, the serial number/activation key won't activate in Steam. /sigh. Again, thank god I didn't buy this from them.

Regards,
SB

OK, finally had time to sit down and install and try to play Farcry 3. Only to be insulted by the fucking Uplay.

WTF does that have to do with my game? Is there anyway to bypass this POS to just go directly into my game? or does this POS have to start up everytime I want to play FC3? If so, I'm deleting this game ASAP.

Does the Steam version of this game do the same stupid shit with starting up Uplay? If so, perhaps I'll stick Ubisoft games on my do not buy list just like EA games.

Grrrrrrr... Just wanted to relax and they slap me in the face with this crap.

[edit] Oh hell, what a train wreck. You can't adjust the music volume or sound effects seperate from speech? And the music volume is WAY higher than the Speech volume. Gah... I'm so glad I didn't buy this.

Regards,
SB

Yes, it's bad.
For me the game only works in safe mode as well.

If I try the normal play game button it thinks something for a second and then comes up with a thanks for playing the game screen..

OK, finally had time to sit down and install and try to play Farcry 3. Only to be insulted by the fucking Uplay.

WTF does that have to do with my game? Is there anyway to bypass this POS to just go directly into my game? or does this POS have to start up everytime I want to play FC3? If so, I'm deleting this game ASAP.

Does the Steam version of this game do the same stupid shit with starting up Uplay? If so, perhaps I'll stick Ubisoft games on my do not buy list just like EA games.

Grrrrrrr... Just wanted to relax and they slap me in the face with this crap.

[edit] Oh hell, what a train wreck. You can't adjust the music volume or sound effects seperate from speech? And the music volume is WAY higher than the Speech volume. Gah... I'm so glad I didn't buy this.

Regards,
SB

What do you mean by"I'm so glad I didn't buy this?" You have it, or not?

I bought it in steam, still starts Uplay...so you have Steam in the background and Uplay in the background for this game...when it released in the US, Uplay servers are so slow that I could not play the SP anymore, as it somehow connects to the servers for achievements or whatever during playing...awful.

What do you mean by"I'm so glad I didn't buy this?" You have it, or not?

I bought it in steam, still starts Uplay...so you have Steam in the background and Uplay in the background for this game...when it released in the US, Uplay servers are so slow that I could not play the SP anymore, as it somehow connects to the servers for achievements or whatever during playing...awful.

Yup, I have it, but I got it for free thanks to a Black Friday special on Samsung SSDs.

I give up for now. Was playing it, and 3nd mission where the guy drives you to the outpost. Can't get out of the vehicle and can't be arsed to mess with it now. Getting in and out of the car in the previous mission worked fine. Maybe tomorrow the game will cooperate.

Regards,
SB

Yup, I have it, but I got it for free thanks to a Black Friday special on Samsung SSDs.

I give up for now. Was playing it, and 3nd mission where the guy drives you to the outpost. Can't get out of the vehicle and can't be arsed to mess with it now. Getting in and out of the car in the previous mission worked fine. Maybe tomorrow the game will cooperate.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, PC version is a bit buggy...but still enjoyable.

What a disaster of a port.

Configure controls. Appear to work well, but I had to reset to default to get out of the vehicle in mission 3. Then reconfigure my controls.

Then while using a hanglider, it ignores any customized controls you have for steering. So, it uses A and D to steer (custom config I use RDFG for movement and A is melee). But still uses my rebound S key to interact (let go). Which means hangliders are useless to me while playing unless I want to reset controls to default and then rebind them every single fucking time.

How the F did this get released in this state?

Add that to the retarded audio config. /sigh. Sooo glad I didn't waste any money on this.

Regards,
SB

What a disaster of a port.
Silent_Buddha said:
How the F did this get released in this state?
I think you just answered your own question.

How else can you explain that any port of an Xbox360 game runs this poorly on systems that are an order of magnitude more powerful? I should be able to push this game at max everything at upwards of 300fps (like I can with UE3 games. Why? Because Epic actually made a PC version of the engine and Ubisoft didn't). As it is, I'm lucky if I can hit 60fps, and I've got start turning the game down to do that.

It's going to be hilarious (in a pathetic kind of way) when this same system of mine will be able to run next-gen titles that look ten times better at the same level of performance as we're getting with FC3.

Yeah but it's hard to know exactly what quality settings the consoles are set for compared to the PC options. Cranking some of those PC settings can make GPU demands skyrocket while not looking much better. I'm sure you're not running 1280x720. (Do the consoles run this game at <720p?)

Back