Far Cry 3 announced

Today I was sent a sign by the Gaming Gods

In general Discussion - what are you listening to now ( http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=31311&page=36 )
I posted this

I said that "I really hate this type of music, but I like this for some reason"
and I was playing farcry 3 today and guess what the song is in it - right after you rescue a blond guy return to the cave if you take some drugs lying about (red tabs) you hear this song.

Picked this up. I've spent a few hours on it. The gameplay reminds me of STALKER and I can't complain about that.

I ran it on my machine with a 560 Ti + 4.2 GHz 3570K. I ended up turning off MSAA+TAA and just accepting what appears to be full-time SMAA. I don't see any blur, unlike with MLAA and FXAA, but of course the post-process misses a lot of aliasing. This runs quite a bit faster even with Ultra "video quality" settings.

Actually I suppose it's more reminiscent of Just Cause.

As some others have said, the endless "mature" language gets old quick. Also, can't holster weapon. Can't turn off all of the hand holding indicators. The game does some enforced morality on you by preventing you from attacking some groups. The crafting stuff is interesting but I had about half of that completed in an hour while running down animals on foot lol.

Regardless of any cheese and quirks, there's no doubt that it's more fun than Far Cry 2.

According to Mobygames, the people involved with Far Cry 3 worked on
Assassin's Creed III, a group of 783 people
Assassin's Creed: Revelations, a group of 618 people
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, a group of 423 people
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, a group of 409 people
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction, a group of 363 people
Driver: San Francisco, a group of 343 people
Assassin's Creed II, a group of 328 people
James Cameron's Avatar: The Game, a group of 298 people
ZombiU, a group of 291 people
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, a group of 273 people
Far Cry 2, a group of 242 people
I Am Alive, a group of 237 people
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, a group of 186 people
Anno 2070, a group of 179 people
Lost: Via Domus, a group of 173 people
Shaun White Snowboarding, a group of 160 people
Assassin's Creed, a group of 156 people
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas, a group of 146 people
Rayman Origins, a group of 146 people
The Adventures of Tintin: The Game, a group of 143 people
Assassin's Creed (Director's Cut Edition), a group of 140 people
Prince of Persia, a group of 138 people
Tom Clancy's EndWar, a group of 130 people
Naruto: The Broken Bond, a group of 129 people
Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic, a group of 126 people

Lots of Ubi veterans...

Also, anyone here read that interview the game's director did with Rock Paper Shotgun? The dude is insane.

ugh Suddently i cant reload my savegame in FC3. This is a known bug or because i put crack on it...
i wish i kept using that UBI launcher thingy and had not apply crack :/

It seems to me that running FC3 on more than 1 CPU causes the lag. All I did was to set the affinity just on CPU 0 and the lag is gone.
Intel and AMD should really think about making super fast single core CPUs for gamers, because multi-CPUs and multi-GPUs are suitable just for HPC.

I just tried setting the buffered frames to 1 and the lag disappears also with multi-CPUs enabled. I was keeping it to 0, since it's supposed to be lag-free, but it wasn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that running FC3 on more than 1 CPU causes the lag. All I did was to set the affinity just on CPU 0 and the lag is gone.
Intel and AMD should really think about making super fast single core CPUs for gamers, because multi-CPUs and multi-GPUs are suitable just for HPC.

I just tried setting the buffered frames to 1 and the lag disappears also with multi-CPUs enabled. I was keeping it to 0, since it's supposed to be lag-free, but it wasn't.

Can you imagine how complicated making a billion tranisistor single core GPU would be like?

Also, doesn't widening cores produce latency and overhead issues (beyond the exponential increase in transistors)?

SIMD and FPUs looks to be the only thing that might continually get wider. The rest of the core, not so much.

You've brought this up before, and it was shown that single core CPU testing brought horrible performance for gaming:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=61788

Direct reminder: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1636962&postcount=56

Please stop asking about making high speed, single core CPU's, please?

It seems like it's impossible to go much further with a single CPU core. Although Intel certainly has made plenty of progress since Core 2...

On the other hand it seems unclear how viable extreme threading is with games. We're many years into it now and I still see most games on at most 3 cores.

It seems like it's impossible to go much further with a single CPU core. Although Intel certainly has made plenty of progress since Core 2...

On the other hand it seems unclear how viable extreme threading is with games. We're many years into it now and I still see most games on at most 3 cores.

Problem on PC right now is that the connection (latency, bandwidth) between CPU and GPU isn't good enough for the two to integrate their workloads more seriously. It will be interesting to see how next gen consles solve this and whether we'll see that issue solved on PC as well (I'm going to assume yes)

Problem on PC right now is that the connection (latency, bandwidth) between CPU and GPU isn't good enough for the two to integrate their workloads more seriously. It will be interesting to see how next gen consles solve this and whether we'll see that issue solved on PC as well (I'm going to assume yes)

I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath on that happening to a significant degree. Much of how the graphics API is designed on Windows is with an eye towards security and stability of the OS.

Regards,
SB

Back