Far Cry 3 announced

I decided to get this on PC as well. It's not really 100% my type of game, but darn I just want to wander around in it. Also want to try it in 3D - it will probably require to make some sacrifices, as I doubt it will easily run smoothly even without 3D on my machine, but I'm sure going to try. ;)

And otherwise, we'll see what I put in the PC come next year.

anyone know if the game has some kind of post AA on at all time? I turn off AA it still looks pretty clean. Running on a single 670, performance is around 40-50 in 1080p everything max out with either noAA + HDAO or 2xMSAA + HBAO. Not sure which one Im going to stick to, but leaning towards HDAO.

Maybe, but there is clearly more going on in those images than just changing the AO setting. For instance the HDAO image is much brighter, perhaps because there is direct sunlight peeking though the window.

Wasn't HDAO a version of SSAO with simply a lot more depth samples for the kernel filter to work on? Or there is something more about it.

Cool good to hear. Are you getting a solid 60fps on your single 670?

Hm, I get 50-60 Hz...but I get this only with no AA. But I have the feeling that the option postFX includes some form of postprocesding AA, maybe FXAA.

I don't know what the difference is for the following options...maybe you can explain it :)

What means (and what is the expected performance and quality impact) of

1.)AO: SSAO or HDAO or HBAO

2.) Vsync: Off or 1 or 2

3.) GPU Buffer: 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5

Would be cool to get an explanation :)

Thanks,
Billy

Maybe, but there is clearly more going on in those images than just changing the AO setting. For instance the HDAO image is much brighter, perhaps because there is direct sunlight peeking though the window.

Well, probably not a surprise that the game has a day-night cycle, weather, etc. Pretty good so far. I can run at something like 60 most of the time (1920x1080) if I keep almost everything at maximum settings except the shadows, and I leave AA off, because I don't think the game needs it at that resolution. That's pretty good, because I just have a singe 550 Ti ... maybe this is a rare game where my i7 helps a bit, though I don't see that much happening that would really push it to be honest.

Still, game is pretty neat. Doesn't feel as classy as Far Cry 2 (whatever its flaws it was still cool), but it's definitely a better 'game' so far.

1.)AO: SSAO or HDAO or HBAO

2.) Vsync: Off or 1 or 2

3.) GPU Buffer: 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5
1.) Stick with HDAO, for best image quality;

2.) The "2 frames" option probably enables triple buffering (two back-frames);*

3.) That's Direct3D specific setting -- leave it at default, otherwise it could cause input lag;

* this one actually halves the frame-rate related to the screen refresh-rate

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering how well this will perform with dual GTX 580's. They need to release the damn thing already so I can find out.

In the US, that is.

this game seems to require a good quad core CPU to achieve high framerate,
with my i3 the game seems to be stuck at around 40 in many area (with low GPU usage), like in "Amanaki", but I haven't played much,
also, using HDAO is definitely the best thing to do, DX11 vs DX9, I didn't really noticed any significant difference at first, but framerate also looks to be the same,

the game uses very little system memory...

Argh. Just redeemed my free Far Cry 3 code, and it's not on Steam. /sigh. That's hugely annoying as UBIsoft only allows you to download it directly from them for 2 years after your purchase, WTF?

Even more reason I hate (actually make that HATE) using any other online storefront than Steam. At least with Steam I don't have to worry about keeping a backup copy of the game if I ever want to play it again. Stupid freaking publisher run online stores. Hate them hate them hate them hate them.

Regards,
SB

You couldn't redeem the code in Steam instead?

Argh. Just redeemed my free Far Cry 3 code, and it's not on Steam. /sigh. That's hugely annoying as UBIsoft only allows you to download it directly from them for 2 years after your purchase, WTF?

Even more reason I hate (actually make that HATE) using any other online storefront than Steam. At least with Steam I don't have to worry about keeping a backup copy of the game if I ever want to play it again. Stupid freaking publisher run online stores. Hate them hate them hate them hate them.

Regards,
SB

That's not true. With their new Uplay client you can redownload games in perpetuity like Steam or Origin.

You couldn't redeem the code in Steam instead?

Nope the code had to be specifically redeemed at the UBIsoft store. It was actually a code that reduced the price of your purchase to 0 USD.

That's not true. With their new Uplay client you can redownload games in perpetuity like Steam or Origin.

Unfortunately, not according to UBIsoft.

What is the Extended Download Service (EDS)?
EDS essentially allows you to download your purchase again for up to two (2) years, in the event your computer crashes or the downloaded file becomes damaged or corrupt. It can be thought of as an insurance policy in case anything goes wrong with your computer or the downloaded product. When you have downloadable items in your order, you will see a link to add EDS to your order on the shopping cart page or the checkout page. Upon payment of the specified fee, Digital River, Inc. ("DR") agrees to provide you (the "End User") a service that enables the End User to make multiple downloads of digital computer software products (a "Product" or "Products") purchased in a single order (an "Order") and downloaded from this Web site (the "Site") for a period of two (2) years after the date the End User purchases the Product (the "Service"). Click here for full details about EDS.
To purchase EDS for download products in a completed order, you must look up your order and complete an additional purchase.

And actually now that I re-read the terms of my "purchase", it appears I'm only allowed to download it once without paying for this EDS thing. So it's even worse than I thought.

I'm definitely never going to buy anything from UBIsoft directly. My only hope now is that perhaps there will be a way to grab my serial number which I can then use to get it into Steam.

Regards,
SB

Unfortunately, not according to UBIsoft.

And actually now that I re-read the terms of my "purchase", it appears I'm only allowed to download it once without paying for this EDS thing. So it's even worse than I thought.

I'm definitely never going to buy anything from UBIsoft directly. My only hope now is that perhaps there will be a way to grab my serial number which I can then use to get it into Steam.

Regards,
SB

That is the old policy from when they hosted the games they sold directly through Digital River. It doesn't apply anymore with the new Uplay store. When they released the new client it automatically found my copies of Conviction and Assassin's Creed 2 bought well over 2 years ago and I am freely able to redownload them.

Hm, in the city amanaki (or so) it seems that I am cpu bound. Independent of the resolution, I get 45 Hz. Is there an option to decrease cpu load?

Back