Far Cry 3 announced

I think you just answered your own question.

How else can you explain that any port of an Xbox360 game runs this poorly on systems that are an order of magnitude more powerful? I should be able to push this game at max everything at upwards of 300fps (like I can with UE3 games. Why? Because Epic actually made a PC version of the engine and Ubisoft didn't). As it is, I'm lucky if I can hit 60fps, and I've got start turning the game down to do that.
You have unrealistic expectations if you want a game as tech heavy as FC3 to perform similar to Unreal Engine 3, this engine is many orders of magnitude superior as far as rendering tech goes. I feel the performance is perfectly fine, my i7 960 and GTX580 runs this around 50-55FPS for the most part at 1080p. The DX11 renderer IS borked but it offers negligible visual improvements (the AO can be tweaked to almost match HDAO from DX11), so I don't see the point of running it on DX11, would rather run it at Dx9 and downsample for clean IQ.

It's going to be hilarious (in a pathetic kind of way) when this same system of mine will be able to run next-gen titles that look ten times better at the same level of performance as we're getting with FC3.
And how do you know that ?

So it's another superficially DX11 game? The fact that it had DX11 multithreading was promising.

it's damn CPU hungry, I think it's the most annoying thing with this game, people with an E8400, overclocked X2 or even a sandy bridge pentium are left out basically, we've had that coming but seeing a game "made for 2500K" is a bit annoying.

it's damn CPU hungry, I think it's the most annoying thing with this game, people with an E8400, overclocked X2 or even a sandy bridge pentium are left out basically, we've had that coming but seeing a game "made for 2500K" is a bit annoying.

The fact that it runs poorly on a Sandy Bridge Pentium is very strange. I mean such a CPU must be far, far, far more capable than the XB360 CPU.

At this point in the life cycle of consoles, there's no reason for systems as powerful as ours to struggle rendering any console game at 1080p60. FC3 is not really that impressive graphically compared to other PC games that run a hell of a lot better. Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3, to name a couple. I can run BF3 at over 120fps at max settings, I should not be having to turn down graphics options in a console port just to hit 60.

I imagine this will be "fixed" in a few weeks by updated NVidia drivers, maybe a patch or two, and maybe even the DX11 renderer we were promised. Ubisoft has already shown us they can do a properly upgraded PC port in AC3, at least that one's doing a lot more to bog down the framerate than FC3 is. It's a lazy port, plain and simple.

I get incorrect prompts "press space to climb" sheer lazyness
I cant steer the hang glider with a keyboard i have to esc to the menu and select xbox360 controller
I havnt looked but i bet you cant even remap the buttons on a controller

I get incorrect prompts "press space to climb" sheer lazyness
I cant steer the hang glider with a keyboard i have to esc to the menu and select xbox360 controller
I havnt looked but i bet you cant even remap the buttons on a controller

Hanglider can only be steered with the default keyboard controls nothing else.

But even that has a caveat. Rebound A and D keys still still steer it. But rebound W and S keys retain their rebound state while hangliding. In other words, if you rebind any of the WASD keys the only way the glider is useable is to reset to default. Use the glider. Then rebind your keys. Every single freaking time.

So, I don't use the glider.

It really is an extemely shoddy PC port with regards to controls and audio. Worse even than Skyrim when it launched with regards to rebinding keys.

Regards,
SB

Wow, how does it works with non QWERTY keyboards then?
Linux games are bad enough in this regard, pretty much hardwired for qwerty and you have to change a lot of bindings, sometimes not being able to bring the console with the "key above tab".
Now Windows don't seem safe either.

On the orher hand, playing with Xbox controller (standard layout) is perfect, no problems for me.

The only thing that drives me crazy is the fluctuating performance. I get from 45Hz to 60Hz all the time.

Why does 45Hz feels like judder and slowdown by the way? It should feel way better than 30Hz, right? But 45 drives me crazy!

Probably because it's not consistent. People on GAF are complaining about the same thing, when it begins to slow down, it's no longer steady.. it averages 40fps for most on-screen displays that report framerate, but it's actually jumping wildly from the 20s to the 40s. That's what makes it appear to "stutter".

Maybe adjusting that would help with the stutteryness? I doubt it but it should be easy to test.

I don't know if this the issue at hand, but there are reports saying that enabling triple buffering solves some problems of stuttering and uneven frames per second in games. On par with turning v-sync on, triple buffering seems to be another solution for people with multi-gpu solutions.

The problem is that, AFAIK, this can only be forced in the drivers for OpenGL. DirectX doesn't let the user touch that.

Back