Famitsu: XBOX 360 global domination through 2007

I have said and continue to believe that the Core is designed to reap its benefits in late 2007 or 2008 and beyond when it drops to $199, $149 etc.

this is a marathon, not a sprint ;)

Damn, you peter moored me.

You win! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Laa-Yosh is completely correct regarding the NPD data.

MS is sitting pretty right now IMO. They're somewhere around 3.5 million in NA right now, 1.5 million in the rest of the world. They'll sell at least 2.5 million units in the US for Oct-Nov and about 1 million elsewhere for a total of 3.5 +1.5 + 2.5 + 1 = 8.5 million units sold though (at a minium IMO). This should put them right around 10 million shipped as they forecasted.

That's very good at the $399 price point with $60 games and no Halo offering.

Next year during the PS3 supply problem period they'll push Lost Planet, Crackdown, Half-Life 2 and Forza 2. Then when the PS3 supply problems are over they will drop price by $100. Sony will be forced to do the same. Not long after they'll release Halo 3 and Blue Dragon. Then later in the year as Sony is struggling to get GT and MGS out, MS will put out Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Too Human (revamped), Alan Wake, Banjo Kazooie, Mass Effect, The Darkness and Resident Evil 5.

MS is in great shape IMO.

Don't forget Lost Odyssey .. !

Next year during the PS3 supply problem period they'll push Lost Planet, Crackdown, Half-Life 2 and Forza 2. Then when the PS3 supply problems are over they will drop price by $100. Sony will be forced to do the same. Not long after they'll release Halo 3 and Blue Dragon. Then later in the year as Sony is struggling to get GT and MGS out, MS will put out Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Too Human (revamped), Alan Wake, Banjo Kazooie, Mass Effect, The Darkness and Resident Evil 5..
Why do you say Sony will be struggling to get those games out? Besides, are MGS4 and GT5 even set for 2007 launch? What about DMC4, FFXIII, GTA4, White Knight Story, Heavenly Sword, next gen Tekken, VF5, Lair, Warhawk, EA games, Ninja Gaiden Zigma...)
The GT5 and MGS4 are not the only games for PS3 anyway, for 2007 or later, funnier still, many of those games you listed for xb360 are coming to PS3 the same day too (The Darkness, RE5, Assassins Creed at least)

Yes, better than they are currently at 50k/week. Though, that should be more like 60k given what Laa Yosh has pointed out.

You might be right with the wait and see approach, though I wouldn't hold my breath for consumers to reject the PS3's pricepoint at just $100 more than 360.

Shouldn't we wait a bit to see how many 500$ Ps3 will be released and which model Sony will try to push.I get the feeling that the 600$ model is the one Sony will focus on(and release more units).

Shouldn't we wait a bit to see how many 500$ Ps3 will be released and which model Sony will try to push.I get the feeling that the 600$ model is the one Sony will focus on(and release more units).

Definately, it would be stupid for them to make 50% of both units. They will sell out no matter what so use the moment to gather as much as money from sales as possible.

I also found it rather hilarious that Johnny Awesome listed Xbox360's line up with games that will be released for PS3 in the same day and somehow its supposed to hurt it?

Definately, it would be stupid for them to make 50% of both units. They will sell out no matter what so use the moment to gather as much as money from sales as possible.

I also found it rather hilarious that Johnny Awesome listed Xbox360's line up with games that will be released for PS3 in the same day and somehow its supposed to hurt it?

what hurts it (PS3) is that if you don't already own one of the two systems, you could get the SAME game on the 360 while paying LESS for the console.

Like or not MS has crippled the core version, so that it is not attractive to very many gamers at all. 80% of 360's being sold are at the $400 pricepoint, it's clear people do not want the core.

Yeah, but I think you are forgetting the holiday season when most consoles will not be bought by the people who will actually end up owning it.

Mom, dad, grandma and grandpa won't know or really care what the preferred gamer system is. All they will know is little Johnny wants a 360, they want to save as much money as possible, and there is that core for $200 cheaper than the cheapest PS3 and $100 cheaper than the Premium 360.

I don't see how consumers will reject the $500 PS3 pricepoint, when X360 is selling at $400 and does not carry the powerful Sony brand name.

But there is that $600 PS3, which Sony will certainly be pushing. And another $100 can make a big difference, especially if the games don't look significantly better than the 360 games. Only a tiny fraction of people will care about the Bluray drive, most will be looking for a console as a pure gaming system, and if a side-by-side comparison of the games at the store kiosk doesn't convince them that the PS3 is worth that extra $100-$300 more then they may very well go with the cheaper but otherwise equal 360.

And Sony hasn't exactly had a sparkling clean reputation lately.

Point here is there are a lot of reasons why people may look for an alternative to Sony's system. For the vast majority of people it's going to come down to the games, and Sony may very well have a hard time convincing people that $500-$600 price point is worth it if they can't show a significant improvement over 360 games.

The importance of the core xbox360 will become apparent when its price drops to 199$.At that time it will reach a "mass-market" price point,when the ps3 will probably cost 399-499$.

In essense the core xbox360 offers exactly what a ps2 does ,in terms of hardware,and it will be a great cheap console for someone who wants to play the next gen Madden,GTA,Resident evil e.t.c along with games like Halo3 without worrying or caring about online,high definition video e.t.c.

what hurts it (PS3) is that if you don't already own one of the two systems, you could get the SAME game on the 360 while paying LESS for the console.

If you are buying a console for multiplatform games, I feel sorry for the you. However I get your point.

True, if people buy consoles to play multiplatform games, if the 2 versions are close enough they will probably get the cheaper one. But it's the exclusives that make or break a console, which is why there is such a rush to get the most and best exclusive games. Sony, MS and Ninty need and want to differentiate themselves from each other, and exclusive games (or exclusive content for multiplatform games) is the easiest and quickest way.
In the end, if you REALLY want to play a game and that game is only on one console, you will get that console regardless of price or colour or controller.

Of course the exclusives are what count the most,except that in this case ,unlike last gen,there's a huge disparity between the prices of the consoles,esp. ps3 and xbox360 that share many games.

I mean at Christmas 2007 there will be a very cheap option for the mainstream "2 games per year" gamer to get his next gen "fix".Of course the playstation brand is huge,nobody can deny that,but to have a game console with all the mega franchises(madden,GTA,halo) in the U.S at 199$ might be very tempting.

On top of the price difference MS getting GTA4 simultaneously with PS3 seems like a big deal to me.I mean an xbox360(core) at 199$ with GTA4 in October 2007 and halo3 in November 2007(2 games that their previous installments are at over 5 million copies in the U.S).....

We'll see,i guess....

Of course the exclusives are what count the most,except that in this case ,unlike last gen,there's a huge disparity between the prices of the consoles,esp. ps3 and xbox360 that share many games.

I mean at Christmas 2007 there will be a very cheap option for the mainstream "2 games per year" gamer to get his next gen "fix".Of course the playstation brand is huge,nobody can deny that,but to have a game console with all the mega franchises(madden,GTA,halo) in the U.S at 199$ might be very tempting.

On top of the price difference MS getting GTA4 simultaneously with PS3 seems like a big deal to me.I mean an xbox360(core) at 199$ with GTA4 in October 2007 and halo3 in November 2007(2 games that their previous installments are at over 5 million copies in the U.S).....

We'll see,i guess....

GTA4 on 360 is HUGE for MS.

I think my point is that if there are no really amazing exclusive games this generation, on each system, it will not feel right. The impact games like Halo (the first one), MGS2, Celda and a few others had this generation practically moulded the image of the consoles, and we need that. If all consoles had the same games, they will start looking like DVD players, simple instruments to play the same stuff across the board.

Oh,i absolutely agree with you.There would be no point in the existance of 3 consoles if all games were multiplatform.

That doesn't seem to be a problem anyway,i see tons of interesting(i won't say great until i've played them) exclusives on every console.

Why do you say Sony will be struggling to get those games out? Besides, are MGS4 and GT5 even set for 2007 launch? What about DMC4, FFXIII, GTA4, White Knight Story, Heavenly Sword, next gen Tekken, VF5, Lair, Warhawk, EA games, Ninja Gaiden Zigma...)
The GT5 and MGS4 are not the only games for PS3 anyway, for 2007 or later, funnier still, many of those games you listed for xb360 are coming to PS3 the same day too (The Darkness, RE5, Assassins Creed at least)

True enough, but we're talking about games that drive a platform and both MS and Sony will have GTA4 so it's not really a differentiator. FFXIII, MGS4, GT5 won't make 2007 IMO. Those are Sony's heavy hitters. Halo 3 is MS's heavy hitter and it WILL make 2007. That's a big deal IMO, expecially when the premium X360 drops to $299. The other games I mentioned were just to demonstrate that MS is very ready from a software standpoint and has great coverage across all genres. Sony has a lot more holes in their lineup 2007 IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
and MS had a huge "coming out in 2007" at the end of LO trailer at X06.The game will,probably,be released worldwide in 2007 and that would be a great move that would really help the hype and sales of the game.

Everyone wants to play the console with which identify. For instance, I'd love to play games on an european console (MS at least respect us europeans so I am very happy, and XTS is an american console, so it's ok for me).

Even so, it's about time for an european console maker. In the last years the waiting times became worse and worse since Nintendo and Sony don't respect europeans, not to a desirable point. Perhaps it would help the games sales too.

MasterDisaster, while I have to agree with you on the whole, imo, we need exclusive games to take full advantage of the hardware.

Cheers

Everyone wants to play the console with which identify. For instance, I'd love to play games on an european console (MS at least respect us europeans so I am very happy, and XTS is an american console, so it's ok for me).

Even so, it's about time for an european console maker. In the last years the waiting times became worse and worse since Nintendo and Sony don't respect europeans, not to a desirable point. Perhaps it would help the games sales too.

MasterDisaster, while I have to agree with you on the whole, imo, we need exclusive games to take full advantage of the hardware.

Cheers

Not to flame but why should sony or nintendo respect the eurpean gamer. History tells sony they can do what they want and be the top selling console in europe. Maybe if gamers would stand up and by the alternative sony and nintendo would take notice and action. I bet if the 360 sold like hot cakes in europe there would of been a small amount allocated this year to a european launch. I blame the gamers for blindly supporting a company that spits in thier faces.

Not to flame but why should sony or nintendo respect the eurpean gamer. History tells sony they can do what they want and be the top selling console in europe. Maybe if gamers would stand up and by the alternative sony and nintendo would take notice and action. I bet if the 360 sold like hot cakes in europe there would of been a small amount allocated this year to a european launch. I blame the gamers for blindly supporting a company that spits in thier faces.

I fully agree, word by word

Back