Square-Enix's next MMO for PS3 & Vista (seemingly?)

Titanio

Legend
Square-Enix's next MMORPG for PS3 & Vista

edit - IGN confirms the translation:

Speaking with Impress Watch on the eve of the Final Fantasy XI Treasures of Aht Urhgan launch in Japan, FFXI producer Hiromichi Tanaka stated, "As we work on Final Fantasy XI, we're currently working on a new MMORPG targeting Windows Vista and PS3." Square Enix is hoping to make the game a worldwide title, Tanaka added.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/702/702289p1.html

Original article:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060419/ffxi.htm

Translation from Jonnyram on GAF:

In terms of next-gen plans, while they are working on FFXI they are also looking at Vista and PS3 as platforms for the next MMO.

Maybe one could lend his translation efforts to corroborate? I think the relevant part is here:

田中氏: うーん、どうですかね。どちらかというと僕らは次世代機や次世代OSの方に目が行っちゃってますね(笑)。「ファイナルファンタジーXI」をやりながら今やっているのは、次のWindows Vista、PS3に向けた新たなMMORPGです。その枠組みの中で、アジアも含めたワールドワイドへの対応ができればいいかなと。

Also, side note and distinctly a rumour for now, which is why I'm throwing it in here rather than a new thread, but apparently the new Famitsu announces Ridge Racer 7 for PS3, with customisation & online play with up to 14 players. Will apparently be revealed at E3. (edit: apparently there are screenshots in Famitsu. If this gets confirmed, I'll open a new thread, but I'll leave it here for now).

Last edited by a moderator:
Titanio said:
Also, side note and distinctly a rumour for now, which is why I'm throwing it in here rather than a new thread, but apparently the new Famitsu announces Ridge Racer 7 for PS3, with customisation & online play with up to 14 players. Will apparently be revealed at E3. (edit: apparently there are screenshots in Famitsu. If this gets confirmed, I'll open a new thread, but I'll leave it here for now).
Yeah i heard about it at GAF. This is pretty crazy news imo, I wish i could see the scans!

田中氏: うーん、どうですかね。どちらかというと僕らは次世代機や次世代OSの方に目が行っちゃってますね(笑)。「ファイナルファンタジーXI」をやりながら今やっているのは、次のWindows Vista、PS3に向けた新たなMMORPGです。その枠組みの中で、アジアも含めたワールドワイドへの 対応ができればいいかなと。

Note that I have not read the article so I don't know the context and am doing a quickie for you guys right before I sleep. I've added what I think are the contexts of what he's saying

Tanaka : If you ask where we're headed (in terms of dev direction), we've set our eyes on next gen systems and next gen OS (LOL ... he laughs). While working on "Final Fantasy XI", we have been working on a new MMORPG for Windows Vista and PS3. Within this framework, (we think) it would be nice if we could make a world wide interactive system that could include Asia.

Nothing much.

rounin said:
Note that I have not read the article so I don't know the context and am doing a quickie for you guys right before I sleep. I've added what I think are the contexts of what he's saying

Tanaka : If you ask where we're headed (in terms of dev direction), we've set our eyes on next gen systems and next gen OS (LOL ... he laughs). While working on "Final Fantasy XI", we have been working on a new MMORPG for Windows Vista and PS3. Within this framework, (we think) it would be nice if we could make a world wide interactive system that could include Asia.

Nothing much.

Well, it confirms platforms, which is nice. Thanks for the translation!

Seems certain then. Although it doesn't rule out X360, it would be odd not to mention it when you mention Vista+PS3 specifically.

I think it would be ironic in the least if the X360 demo from E3 2005 was released as a game on PS3 and not X360 also.

Re; RR7. Surprised its 7 and not "Ridge 6: Definitive PS3 version" or something. I guess the extra time they have will erm, allow it to look a bit better to say the least.

Nicked said:
Re; RR7. Surprised its 7 and not "Ridge 6: Definitive PS3 version" or something.
Thats what I was thinking, I was thinking it would be a quick port just to make ps3 launch. (RR has always made a sony launch)

But I guess a year of extra DEV time over the 360 should atleast give more changes + modes, and hopefully better graphics.
Details:

customize mode
online mode (14 players max)
details at E3
Associate producer - 寺本秀雄 (?)
sound - 大久保博 (?)
director - 小林賢哉 (?)
e3 cant come fast enough. :p

Bad_Boy said:
Thats what I was thinking, I was thinking it would be a quick port just to make ps3 launch. (RR has always made a sony launch)

But I guess a year of extra DEV time over the 360 should atleast give more changes + modes, and hopefully better graphics.

Don't underestimate the temptation to port ;)

Anyway, I'll see about a new thread once there's definitive confirmation of this. Also, apparently Famitsu reports a rumour of Nights coming to Revolution.

Back