Fallout 4 PC discussion

After Gta5 I'll never preload a large title again since it requires 210% of space total. With a 200mbit connection the wait is negligible.

After Gta5 I'll never preload a large title again since it requires 210% of space total. With a 200mbit connection the wait is negligible.
They changed the decrypting in Steam process after GTA5 to use less space. Fallout 4 will be my first time testing it.

Pfft, second world problems! PC master race shouldn't dawdle with less-than-terabyte drives, son!
PC master race doesn't use mechanical drives for games anymore son! We also can't afford 1Tb SSD's though :)

Actually I'm shutting down my WHS since I have a NAS now so I can move the 512Gb SSD from there to my main desktop.

PC master race doesn't use mechanical drives for games anymore son! We also can't afford 1Tb SSD's though :).
Speak for yourself; 1TB Sammy EVO 850 has been on sale several times now, I think I bought mine for less than $400.

I feel you on the WHS front though, I'm gonna build a ZFS rig from some cheap AMD parts right after the new year.

That's not a bad price for a nice 1tb. Still I think the 512 should be fine for a long time. I don't store any games local anymore. Only games I have installed are what I'm playing and are purged afterward. Steam + 200mbit Internet is basically instant gaming.

Windows would benefit from an OSX-like Fusion drive setup aware filesystem system where files are managed (shuffled between HDD and SSD) automatically depending on recent usage. You can do this manually but I don't want too! :nope:

Failing this, I'd like to see Steam implement something natively.

My current move is to install a total of 64GB because of work stuff then I'll get to install whole games into a RAMdrive and say goodbye to loading screens and textures/geometry popping up.
32GB are already there, 32 more to go.

if you use intel SSD, intel have app to do that. samsung too. But it is disabled for samsung OEM ssd

EDIT:
i wonder why steam bothered to encrypt preload instead simply giving the normal file except the executables like what GoG has done.

Eurogamer's review: Recommended (PS4 version tested)

Fallout 4 is one of the most contradictory big-budget releases in recent memory. It's insanely ambitious and utterly absorbing, a game that has clearly had thousands of hours poured into every detail of its compelling world. At the same time, it's often falling apart at the seams and pushing its game engine far beyond its comfortable limits. If you were expecting the move to powerful new generation console hardware to smooth out the kinks that endured in Bethesda's RPGs for the decade-long lifespan of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, you'll be disappointed.​

Fans who managed to overlooked the issues in previous BGS games will love it, those who didn't like Fallout 3 and New Vegas are unlikely to be converted.

GameSpot: 9.0
Polygon: 9.5
IGN: 9.5

And Rock Paper Shotgun's thoughts on the PC version.

Yay! I can talk about Fallout 4! :D

So the short and sweet version: It’s fantastic, but there are a few things that bothered me.

I recorded a spoiler-free review video here:

I also made a 1080P/60 video of the PC version on Ultra settings:

Also, I made a workshop/settlement tutorial because the game does an awful job t explaining…well anything:

IMO looks like ass, nothing really over and above previous titles from videos. I think I'll be waiting for the inevitable graphics mods for awhile to delve into it.

IMO looks like ass, nothing really over and above previous titles from videos. I think I'll be waiting for the inevitable graphics mods for awhile to delve into it.
So you're saying it looks like Fallout 3? Are you sure about that? ;)

I'm wondering how my 6970 will run it. 6970 laughs at Fallout 3 at 2560x1440 with 4X AA etc. Something tells me FO4 won't to run like that......

Last edited:
Well it doesn't look nearly as bad as the early screenshots indicated IMO. It also apparently takes some pretty beefy hardware to run it at max settings, and any ugridstoload over 7 absolutely tanks performance on the greatest of rigs (but thankfully doesn't crash the game since it's a 64bit executable).

BTW I got this info from a comprehensive performance guide that NVIDIA put up but it's apparently been taken offline. It was actually very informative.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/fallout-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

I think It looks best in bright environments. The lighting isn't exactly thrilling once you get into a dark area.

Their AO implementation looks extremely basic, circa 2008 at best I'd say. Makes indoor/dim areas look flat.

I find it interesting that the volumetric lighting is an NVIDIA effect that can not only run on AMD PC GPUs, but also made its way to the console versions. NVIDIA mentioned (in the article that was taken down) that the feature would be rolled into a future version of Gameworks, so if it ends up as an NV exclusive effect in future titles we'll know that's bullshit.

Last edited:
Game isn't going to win any beauty contests but I think we knew that.
20aMeMu.jpg

Only pretty much made my char, game seems to run okay on my Phenom II 965be and Radeon 290 maxed out but this early on in the game who knows.

Back