Fallout 4 PC discussion

Malo

Yak Mechanicum
Legend
Supporter
This can be specifically for the PC version. Console discussion here.

4k Screenshot
47164_2_0.jpg

Thoughts on the engine? It's looking poor enough that it's possibly idTech5, though that doesn't really work well with an open world with varying ToDs. Frankly it looks shoddy and wouldn't surprise me if it's a barely further enhanced Gamebryo/whatever-it's-called-now.

Last edited:
Yeah, a couple scenes had a familiar Rage look to them. The character model quality looks a poor.

Maybe they should put it up for early access on steam and let the community make the game what it should be via mods, and fix all the bugs. All for free.

Gamebryo FTL. What a terrible engine it is and always has been. They should bite the bullet and switch to UE4 or Cryengine or anything in the world other than what they have now. An Elder Scrolls game like this in UE4 is my wet dream. I'm touching myself just thinking about it.

Yeah, everything feels like Gamebryo. I was certain they'd drop it after Skyrim but i guess it's going to stay with 'em forever. I hated it's jank in Dark Age of Camelot (my first encounter with that crappy engine), I hated it's jank in Morrowind and every single Bethesda game since. Honestly if I wasn't such open world game fan, I wouldn't bother to play 'em. Some odd years ago, Bethesda did one thing better then most developers - World scale and immersion via environmental art. That was enough for me, even when writing, story, character models and animation sucked badly. In past few years open world game quality has gone up fast and certain things that I belived that couldn't be done are now possible. Maybe they always were, but we didn't have right developers doing right projects. We had only Bethesda.

No doubt Bethesda knows their target segment of consumers and what they did with Fallout brand is some sort of miracle. I just can't understand 'em or their design philosophy. They have access to budget way bigger then most developers but they still choose janky old piece of tech. I must have really good reasons for it, but I have no idea what they are. I've heard everything from draw calls to mod support to familarity but all those reason sound more or less garbage. Fallout survived transformation from isometric turn based RPG to first / third person open world romp. Different engine should be walk in the park compared to that.

Damn the decision to go with apus and their memory bandwidth and contention limitations. You are left with gpus in both systems that have to compromise on textures in games. Its 100% not the developers faults, but you can blame the silicon industry and eggheads/execs at Micron/Nvidia/AMD/Hynix and many other Jedec companies for failing to bring out a stacked memory 4 years earlier.

Look how quickly when pushed our great nation completed the manhattan project, you are telling me that if aliens landed and gave an ultimatum back in 2006 "bring products to consumer gpu market with +350gb/s stacked memory format to market by 2012 or we will annihilate your entire nation" , thus making it a national imperative and priority that we couldn't have brought out stacked memory by 2012?

That said the game will be awesome and a 1st day buy. I've been a Fallout loyalist since 1997, but that doesn't mean I can't be sad about memory bandwidth limitations limiting what Bethesda can do in an open world game.
24kwr9g.jpg

Last edited:
What's the point in working in the same group as a firm making one of the best game tech in the world if you're not using it ?
Bethesda & iD Software are in the same group, one could expect Bethesda, which is notoriously incompetent at programming, but great at making worlds, to just give up and use iD Tech engines, which are notoriously great technology...

Fallout 3 was the only game to ever make me motion sick, I enjoyed the world, but not the game, it was tough to only be able to play by 30 minutes snippets and waiting 15 minutes in between to recover from sheer and utter incompetence...

No doubt Bethesda knows their target segment of consumers and what they did with Fallout brand is some sort of miracle. I just can't understand 'em or their design philosophy. They have access to budget way bigger then most developers but they still choose janky old piece of tech. I must have really good reasons for it, but I have no idea what they are. I've heard everything from draw calls to mod support to familarity but all those reason sound more or less garbage. Fallout survived transformation from isometric turn based RPG to first / third person open world romp. Different engine should be walk in the park compared to that.
You can be sure the only reason they stick with it is familiarity. They don't want to have to learn a new engine. I would argue that they've just about taken their current engine as far as it's going to go and the only way forward is to switch, as they obviously don't have the talent to compete with Epic/Crytek. But so long as their games sell like they do this is what we'll get.

What's the point in working in the same group as a firm making one of the best game tech in the world if you're not using it ?
Bethesda & iD Software are in the same group, one could expect Bethesda, which is notoriously incompetent at programming, but great at making worlds, to just give up and use iD Tech engines, which are notoriously great technology...
idTech5 isn't really appropriate for an open world game with varying lighting and TOD's, and I'd prefer to have decent textures without requiring a 500Gb game.

It's even up for pre-purchase on Steam already, with no mention of anything about the game whatsoever.

I swore after Skyrim I'd never get another Bethesda open world game if it was on the same engine on DX9.

idTech5 isn't really appropriate for an open world game with varying lighting and TOD's, and I'd prefer to have decent textures without requiring a 500Gb game.
First off, iD Tech 5 can be changed for that rather easily with shadow buffers and not burning lighting info into textures.
Second, there's iD Tech 6, it might just handle it already. (I don't know, I have no access to it.)
Third, there's iD Tech 4, older but still way better than Gamebryo.

Also last I checked idTech5 can only do 4x AF. I understand the reasons why, but it still sucks.

First off, iD Tech 5 can be changed for that rather easily with shadow buffers and not burning lighting info into textures.
From what I understand the performance doing this with idtech5 is very poor across a wide variety of GPUs, especially on current consoles.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_new_fallout_4_images-16596_en.html

Finally, Boston get's a game. As a Massachusetts resident, I'll be really disappointed if the accent isn't thick in this one.

"Afta we kill these mutants, let's go back to the bah and watch the fawkin' Sox, kid."

That's wicked awesome

Anyway I wonder if they went with the old engine cause id tech 5 wouldn't work well , 6 wasn't ready and it take a few years to make these .Hopefully their next game uses a new engine. I wil lbuy this on pc next year once the fans fix it.

I felt almost embarassed for Bethesda by how ugly this thing looked to current day Standards.

I'm not sure what to think yet. I'll wait on some more videos. It appears to be a major improvement over Skyrim, but I think the goofy Fallout visual style is making that less apparent. It is certainly far beyond the previous Fallout games.

I'm more interested in how it plays. How the shooting mechanics work this time, for example. Fallout 3/NV leave a lot to be desired there.

Back