Fallout 4 PC discussion

The trailer doesn't look bad.
It just looks like it came from 2009.

This is definitely a game to play 1 year after its release, when modders have done wonders to it.

I thought it looked quite solid, and good looking. I hope that what we saw was the console/medium PC settings version. Bethesda may have decided that they wanted to avoid any blowback from over promising.
I'd be pleased if they delivered what we saw to the consoles first and then a few months later delivered a PC version that had several important settings cranked up. A new game engine would be nice. A bonus from that would be the increased likelihood of more Fallout games, and sooner rather than later.
I'd be OK if the old engine was redone top to bottom, and with some good stuff bolted on (like we see with the Unreal engine).
Bottom line, if it's not buggy, plays smoothly, and has a great story, we're going to be ok. I truly can't imagine that Bethesda won't deliver great visuals to PC users with good hardware. I don't see them as that incompetent, or willing to risk bad reviews and bad sales.
Though, yeah, I'll be right there with everybody else scrutinizing their choices, and second guessing if applicable. :)

Last edited:
A new game engine would be nice. A bonus from that would be the increased likelihood of more Fallout games, and sooner rather than later.
I'd be OK if the old engine was redone top to bottom, and with some good stuff bolted on (like we see with the Unreal engine).

Skyrim may have been Gamebryo, but it apparently had a rewritten renderer. Which is part of why they called it the Creation engine. Though I think another reason for that is Gamebryo (the company) did a mini implosion prior to Skyrim's release and I'm not sure what's happening there. I wonder if Bethesda owns their version of the engine completely now.

Anyway, Fallout 4 looks better than Skyrim so yeah there have been improvements. Every Bethesda developed game since Morrowind has been a Gamebryo enhancement experience.

Last edited:
Bottom line, if it's not buggy, plays smoothly, and has a great story, we're going to be ok.

Have we ever had that from Bethesda?
Their games thrive on massive amounts of content, exploration and mods.

Ah ok, thanks.
Bethesda Game Studios' was some time ago separated from the publisher Bethesda Softworks. So Bethesda Game Studios developed Skyrim and Bethesda Softworks published it and Evil Within etc.

Hopefully gameplay is not round based this tim...I hated this and couldn't get into those games because of this.

It is also the reason I like elder scrolls much more.

One can dream...right?

Hopefully gameplay is not round based this tim...I hated this and couldn't get into those games because of this.

It is also the reason I like elder scrolls much more.

One can dream...right?
What do you mean round based? You mean VATS which is optional?

VATS basically simulates playing with a mouse, so it's more important for console players.

Added the 4k screenshot to the OP. Still mixed feelings about it. Some nice detail and textures aren't too bad but the lighting is so flat. Texturing indicates idtech to me.

Added the 4k screenshot to the OP. Still mixed feelings about it. Some nice detail and textures aren't too bad but the lighting is so flat. Texturing indicates idtech to me.

To the left: debris, bottles and weapon don't cast shadows. So is lighting pre-baked?

To the left: debris, bottles and weapon don't cast shadows. So is lighting pre-baked?
Game don't render transparent items in shadow buffers, such as the bottles. (Although they could be if they were alpha tested, or they could be flagged with an alpha test, looks like they went the easy road and just don't render them.)
As for the weapon it seems to be shadowing the chair.
Debris might be transparent too (hard to say how they flagged them in engine, capturing a frame would tell), or they might have been rejected because it would be too expensive and isn't worth it..

Back