Fallout 4 PC discussion

Okay, I had a weird bug last night. I had stepped out of my power armor at The Slog to repair the defenses after a particularly nasty raider attack (a crazy legendary raider had got really deep inside the compound) when I heard some shooting to the north. I didn't go for the power armor, but ran straight for the fighting. It seemed an assaultron and a mr gutsy were attacking a trader and his brahmin so I intervened with my plasma rifle (though I made a quicksave before attacking just to be safe; assaultrons are insane with their sun-in-the-head laser thing). After looting the robots I headed back to the power armor and fast traveled to another settlement which was under attack. When I arrived, there were two yua guai wreaking havoc in the camp but I dispatched them too. I stepped out of the power armor to fix the defenses and assign some slackers. When done, I went for the power armor to find it gone and this settler in its place:

So I tried to talk to her, but she was locked into thanking me for saving them; no matter how many times I talked to her, I got the same dialogue options.

Okay so 'bugged'. I reloaded my quicksave, killed the assaultron and mr gutsy and ran to the power armor at The Slog. Now the power armor can't be interacted with. Well, well, well. I saved a proper save and quit the game. Maybe it will be fixed when I play tonight? Maybe the game was in a weird state and somehow this bug is transient and not inside the save file.

If not, I have lost my only power armor chassis and all my upgraded parts (it was a model t45e, but model d should be in the workbench inventory).
KILL IT WITH FIRE

I've found I really don't need my power armor; I've yet to really encounter anything that warrants it. Partly this is due to my propensity for always playing a stealthy sniper-type in these Bethesda open world games. Oblivion and Skyrim were sneaky archers (in Skyrim I took the perks for dual-wielding daggers like a badass). In FO3 / FO3NV / FO4 I'm the stealthy, silenced rifle type once I find the right weapon.

By the way, I'm really happy with the weapons modding in FO4. I've made a few really good weapons, and have discovered that I can move the mods over when I find a "legendary" base-version of my weapon. Case in point: I made a fully automatic, fast-eject drum-mag, silenced .45 and called it "Bad Tommy .45" (the rename function is a hoot too!) I later offed a legendary raider or something and looted his legendary .45 that did +15 burning damage. I swapped all my automatic + drum + silencer parts over and now it's the "Even Badder Tommy .45" :D I also then scrapped my previous .45 rifle for parts...

It doesn't dish out a lot of per-hit damage and it can't do anything beyond about 50-in-game feet, but the rapid automatic fire plus burnination along with the commando perk makes it lay down some serious DPS for close-quarters battles. The silencer also makes it useful for my sneaky bastard character :D

Edited: I linked to the source of "burnination" for those of you who aren't native english speakers and/or who aren't aware of the awesomeness that is StrongBad and his email :D

Last edited:
Sounds like I was pretty lucky with my first X01 as it was a complete Mark III unit with all parts in place. Now X01s started popping up when I'm not even looking.
Went to defend a settlement and found one just standing there next to a crashed Vertibird. But the 2 additional units I found so far were both missing parts.

My current army of doom - 2 T45s, 2 T51s, 3 X01s of which 2 are works in progress, and the rest T60s.
All except the X01s fully complete and I'm still sitting on spare pieces for like 5 more T60s if I only had frames.

moarpower.jpg

With 1 level in the looting ammo/stuff -perk you never run out of fusion cores. I have over 40 too and I only walk around in power armor.

Follow-up to my power armor troubles: after loading the save in a recently started game, I could enter my power armor. Then I found this national guard place with a fully decked out X-01 mark 1 parts and frame.

Now I just need more aluminium!

I installed this game last night as a gift from a friend. I was on it no longer than about 30 mins before uninstalling it. The game is so ugly (with everything on ULTRA @ 4k), I just can't stomach it. There's all kinds of "muddled" stuff going on from low textures/polys to lack of any AO while in shadow. Very disappointed tbh.

I installed this game last night as a gift from a friend. I was on it no longer than about 30 mins before uninstalling it. The game is so ugly (with everything on ULTRA @ 4k), I just can't stomach it. There's all kinds of "muddled" stuff going on from low textures/polys to lack of any AO while in shadow. Very disappointed tbh.
Graphics shouldn't matter if the game's good. Fallout 4 is, even if it's not on par with New Vegas

I think the gameplay is about as fresh as the graphics. Mediocre but familiar. The storytelling is certainly the usual Bethesda weak effort. But it looks like the people who play it for 10000 hours are more about hoarding and mini games, anyway.

Last edited:
I just found out there is no hard level cap. That's great because I hit 50 just now and was worried I'd get bored.

I tried and failed miserably :(.
Hey Homer...

This morning I found a pair of BOS knights (ie PowerArmor!) that I could not snipe their Fusion cores in a way that made the core eject. This is the very first time I've run into this... First I thought maybe my modded-to-heck-and-back .50 cal hunting rifle had become too powerful, so I swapped for a 10mm POS that I looted from someone. Even with the lower damage, it still didn't work! What was even more bizarre was, even after repeatedly shooting them both in the back, neither of them got "angry" and/or came after me.

Not sure if this is what you bumped into on your attempt, it almost seemed bugged to me.

That sounds like what happened to me. I had all the time and chances in the world but couldn't pull it off. Believe me I tried!

Still I've left chassis all over the place for simple reason of not needing them. Still have some full suits around at different settlements but I never use them. The one I have and always wear is plenty.

Well no argument here that Fallout 4's graphics are functional at best. I came into this after wrapping up the Witcher 3 so the contrast was pretty stark.
But personally I don't feel it is bad enough to spoil the game. After wrapping up the campaign I think overall this one is definitely worth playing.
I will note however that I think inventory management is a total drag and control of the game's direction when interacting with NPCs is too limited.

This is my first Fallout. I've tried and failed to become engrossed in Bethesda games again and again, with Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.
I dropped each of them after some hours because they just did not grab me at all. So it's fair to say the critically acclaimed Bethesda gets no particular credit from me personally but here I am with 140 hours of FO4 and still enjoying the ride.

ADOM and million other roguelikes with ASCII-graphics want to say Hi
Heh. I can't count the numbers of hours I've dropped into TradeWars 2002 -- an ANSI graphics (fifteen colors! specialty characters!) sector-based space trading RTS. It runs over Telnet, which should tell you anything you need to know about how the game might be played. :D If any of you old-timers want in, I own a TWGS Gold license and hosting; we could start up a B3D TW server! I've been itching for a reason to start it up again...

If a game can't woo you unless there are absolute-top-tier graphics involved, it's only yourself that you're hurting. Leaves more for the rest of us...

The graphics can sometimes be quite good. I run with some DSR oversampling and it really isn't half bad.

Some of the outside vistas and effects look fantastic, especially when combined with the great detail they've put into the sheer amount of stuff everywhere. Many interiors look woeful though.

Back