Fallout 4 PC discussion

I only keep one armor skeleton equipped with the good stuff. Can't find a good reason to have multiples, especially given how many parts it takes to upgrade the stuff.

BTW I'm with Strong now and he's pretty good.

I have just started adventuring with Piper. After her I have two more then I think I've done them all - assuming I have not missed some!

Ok, complaint time.

I realized that my first Raider power armor skeleton was marked as stolen permanently. Why? I had somewhat ignored this for the first time, but this weekend I sniped another few raiders in power armor, they hopped out, they got deaded, and their armor sets are marked red / stolen again! When I go pull anything "out" of the set (for example, my nice shiny BOS T60-II gear from prior post) my companions "hate me" for it.

Turns out I can just equip a replacement part and the onboard / currently equipped parts come into my inventory without tagging me as stealing, so I have a workaround. But why does the game punish me for "stealing" from a Raider? Lame.

Stumbled into a nearly complete set of X01 power armor (missing only the head and one arm) ...
... And it wasn't in the glowing sea (I know there's a cave in there somewhere with parts too; I haven't been yet.) Rather, this was at the front gate post leading into Fort Strong. It was just standing there, not locked up at all.

Weird, I've killed hundreds and hundreds of raiders and taker their gear, including power armour, and it's never been tagged as stolen.

I've killed a few raiders in power armour but I have never been able to steal their chassis, only their power armour bits like arms and legs and torso. How do you steal a chassis? I have only the one from the roof in Concorde.

That's the trick: I'm not looting the parts off a dead chassis, I'm taking the entire chassis with parts on it. To do this, you need to be good at sneak (no specific perk tho), need an accurate + ranged rifle, probably need to tell your companion to stay somewhere far away (or just ditch them entirely) and a bit of luck.

Once you find someone in power armor, you have to sneak around until you can see their back clearly. You then enter VATS, and you'll discover the fusion core can be targeted. Take your shot, you only need ONE hit, and then run like a mofo because you're about to get mini-nuked. If you are lucky and careful, the target will NOT die during the nuke, but the armor is now unpowered. If your target lived, they'll hop out of the armor and come for you. Kill 'em off, loot their body for the power armor parts that were "fully damaged" (zero health left), then equip the armor with one of your own fusion cores and off you go.

Except that, basically all cases, the armor will now be marked red :(

Ok, complaint time.

I realized that my first Raider power armor skeleton was marked as stolen permanently. Why? I had somewhat ignored this for the first time, but this weekend I sniped another few raiders in power armor, they hopped out, they got deaded, and their armor sets are marked red / stolen again! When I go pull anything "out" of the set (for example, my nice shiny BOS T60-II gear from prior post) my companions "hate me" for it.

Turns out I can just equip a replacement part and the onboard / currently equipped parts come into my inventory without tagging me as stealing, so I have a workaround. But why does the game punish me for "stealing" from a Raider? Lame.

Stumbled into a nearly complete set of X01 power armor (missing only the head and one arm) ...
... And it wasn't in the glowing sea (I know there's a cave in there somewhere with parts too; I haven't been yet.) Rather, this was at the front gate post leading into Fort Strong. It was just standing there, not locked up at all.

Cool, I need to go pick that up.
I already have a X01 head stolen from the BOS store on the Prydwen.

Apropos Prydwen. At some point there's this epic battle for something called Liberty Prime. I was fending off the Brotherhood as I'd sided with the Institute.
Which is great because you get to shoot Knight Rhys and other Brotherhood assholes.
Anyway at one point during the battle Elder Maxson himself drops from a Vertibird in full power armor. And he's supposed to bring the fury in a big way.
Except this time he narrowly missed the roof he was supposed to land on and toppled right off the other side of the building. Never saw him again. I was LMAO.

I only keep one armor skeleton equipped with the good stuff. Can't find a good reason to have multiples, especially given how many parts it takes to upgrade the stuff.

BTW I'm with Strong now and he's pretty good.

Heh I like to collect power armors. I have 6 standing around Sanctuary like Christmas trees.
T45s, T51, T60s with various paint jobs. Looking forward to adding the X01 later today.

I'm too thrifty to actually use them though. I have 46 unused Fusion Cores and need more....

So I spent some time looking around for the X01 and it turns out it can actually spawn at random in several places (and only after you turn level 30+).
There will always be a power armor at the possible spawn sites but mostly it'l be an older class. In my case I'd already found a T51 at the location abq mentioned.
I did a tour and eventually found one somewhere else but not before bringing my power armor forest up to 9 pieces in total.
It's now fully Mark V with Prism armor and I'm sure it'd kick ass if I felt I could afford taking it out.

I tried and failed miserably :(.
Did the NPC just not hop out of the armor and got killed? Or you weren't able to snipe the core and dude came after you? What happened?

I know the process works :)

@Florin: Interesting findings; I know that I found that first nearly-complete set of X01 armor when I was still level 20-something (higher 20's.) I've since discovered another nearly empty X01 set...
...in a millitary building in the glowing sea in the secret government bunker under the house, and then an entirely complete raider set in a cave near the plane crashes and burried church in the glowing sea.

I've now got something like 12 or 13 armor sets, all but two of them are "legit", meaning they're not marked stolen thus can be used at will. My X01 set is nearly complete, it needs only a head. I've got a nearly full set of T-51, two complete sets of T-45, one full set of BOS (I haven't joined them yet), one full set of raider, several incomplete sets, and then the two "stolen" sets that are effectively useless.

All of these frames / sets were from random spawns, except the two "stolen" sets which I nabbed from folks who I sniped and stole their frames. I liked someone else's post about making an Iron Man-esque exhibition out of them. I'm totally gonna do that :D It also gives me something to do with the "stolen" frames that I otherwise have no use for.

Edited: tossed a spoiler tag on the armor locations :)
Edited again:
LOL, meant to @Florin instead of @Bludd for the findings. Ha!

Last edited:
Okay, I had a weird bug last night. I had stepped out of my power armor at The Slog to repair the defenses after a particularly nasty raider attack (a crazy legendary raider had got really deep inside the compound) when I heard some shooting to the north. I didn't go for the power armor, but ran straight for the fighting. It seemed an assaultron and a mr gutsy were attacking a trader and his brahmin so I intervened with my plasma rifle (though I made a quicksave before attacking just to be safe; assaultrons are insane with their sun-in-the-head laser thing). After looting the robots I headed back to the power armor and fast traveled to another settlement which was under attack. When I arrived, there were two yua guai wreaking havoc in the camp but I dispatched them too. I stepped out of the power armor to fix the defenses and assign some slackers. When done, I went for the power armor to find it gone and this settler in its place:
ScreenShot0.jpg
ScreenShot1.jpg

So I tried to talk to her, but she was locked into thanking me for saving them; no matter how many times I talked to her, I got the same dialogue options.

Okay so 'bugged'. I reloaded my quicksave, killed the assaultron and mr gutsy and ran to the power armor at The Slog. Now the power armor can't be interacted with. Well, well, well. I saved a proper save and quit the game. Maybe it will be fixed when I play tonight? Maybe the game was in a weird state and somehow this bug is transient and not inside the save file.

If not, I have lost my only power armor chassis and all my upgraded parts (it was a model t45e, but model d should be in the workbench inventory).

Last edited:
This new Fallout worth its money? Read a few critical reviews and have a lot of doubts about it...
I'm a hundred hours in and love it. You need to post what you like/dislike about previous Fallout games so people can better advice. What are you doubts?

Back