Factor 5 has apparently closed down

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Megadrive1988, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Megadrive1988

Veteran

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56493

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21625

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...eloper_Factor_5_Shutting_Down_Completely.html
    http://www.developmag.com/news/31006/Factor-5-closed

What a shame if true. These guys proved that the
    Dolphin/GameCube was capable of more than most people thought. Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike were showcases for the graphical power of that console, and I was very much looking forward to their Wii project.

I guess the factors (no pun intended) in Factor 5's demise are due to the poor sales of Lair and perhaps the bad economy.

2. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

Definitly the economy... bad bad times.
    I will mourn their demise with a playthrough of Turrican 2.

3. Sigfried1977

Veteran

I'm going to play a little bit of Lair. I actually enjoyed that game quite a bit. (enough for 14 gold medals) I think it still holds up very well. At least from a technical point of view.

4. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

It's not just the economy... You can't expect to get a lot of contracts after releasing something like Lair, especially if you have one of the largest egos in game development. Does anyone remember their GDC presentations? Priding themselves on multiple $20+ million projects, showing the world how nextgen is supposed to be done - and then failing so spectacularly both commercialy and criticaly as the articles mention.

They may have had a second chance, to climb back to AA releases, but they can only blame themselves for getting into such a vulnerable position. The recession was just the final blow.
    In my opinion they were overconfident and careless, they couldn't even react to the bad reviews in a normal, down-to-earth way.

5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Indeed, Eggbricht brought this on himself IMO. Bragging and underdelivering isn't going to land you a lot of contracts... Maybe now we'll see a simple, high-quality download Turrican from an offshoot?

6. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Frankly, I haven't liked really any of their games. They were beautiful sure, but the gameplay was rather not so amazing in like everything they've ever made. I've never personally seen Lair, but the reviews were not exactly promising.

They were really a technology company that should've gone down the path of licensing an engine and toolkit instead of making games.

7. Nano

Regular

Of all business closures that have happened lately gaming or otherwise, this saddens me the most if true. I will miss the ground-breaking technology they pushed which others usually didn't and I rue the missed opportunity for a rather special Wii title that may have been in the works.

Their titles were big budget and far between, also as swaaye mentioned, there was an awful lot of potential for engine licensing (I would very much have liked to have see this for GC and Wii, then extending to other platforms). I guess the business model really didn't work.

8. fearsomepirate

fearsomepirate Dinosaur Hunter
    Veteran

I liked most of F5's Rogue Squadron series...what Star Fox should have turned into IMO. But you can't go blowing kajillions of dollars on projects if you're not consistently turning out blockbusters, which they never were.

9. 2008 IQ is unacceptable

Banned

I'm sad to see a company fold, but the only game they ever made (actually ported) that I like was the N64 version Indy Infernal; however, even the pc version (as long as it's patched, of course) is infinitely preferable to the N64 one.

I didn't like the 1st rogue squadron, the 2nd one was too damn hard, and the 3rd one I never played b/c the 1st two were so damn boring to me.

10. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

I dont think the eonomy alone is at fault, Lair costed significant $$$$ and didn't excactly do very well. You gotta make titles that sell well if your going to stay alive as an indepentent developer, fincial crysis or not.

11. fearsomepirate

fearsomepirate Dinosaur Hunter
    Veteran

Well, they were popular enough, meaning some of us actually liked them. The 2nd one was not nearly as hard as the first, either. Battle for Naboo is an underrated gem as well.

12. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Whoa, I think you and I are on the same page :shock:

I actually have that Indy game at home for N64. It's a fairly impressive tech presentation for the N64, running in 640x480 and smoothly at that. The game is really just a Tomb Raider clone though and I completely understand why fans of Fate of Atlantis were really put off by it.

#12 swaaye, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2008
  13. 22psi

Veteran

Did they do LAIR?

14. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

The answer is literally in the first sentence of the quoted text in the original post. Sometimes I just want to...

15. Teasy

Veteran

Should never have left Nintendo exclusivity.

16. obonicus

Veteran

Was that up to them? I heard Nintendo scrapped a GCN Pilotwings pretty late into last-gen.

17. Teasy

Veteran

I don't know who made the decision but it was a bad one IMO, both for Factor 5 and Nintendo. Of course much more so for Factor 5 given recent events.

18. assen

Veteran

More like, should have never attempted Sony exclusivity.

19. obonicus

Veteran

Didn't Sony pay for Lair? 'They should never have released a terribly-received game' is probably more accurate, since apparently Sony canceled their multi-game contract after Lair. A 53 on metacritic must have meant other publishers weren't too keen to work with them, too.

20. DJ12

Veteran

Shame they couldn't make a game that was actually fun to play as well as good to look at though.

You cannot make a very good living off a game that only looks good. It would be better to have a game that looks like crap that is a joy to play than Factor5 route to demise.