ExtremeTech agrees on X360 architecture close to PS3's one

yes.but to keep it simple and general :
(realisticaly)There's 2 capable hardware to run their top physic tech stuff (egg:fluids ) : PPU and ps3.
I believe this have to do with raw processing power ,and vertex cretation/destruction , where the CELL/RSX combo should shine.

london-boy said:
X-AleX said:
Exactly :LOL:

BTW the point of the thread was obviously to discuss that apparently everyone is agreeing that both consoles are powerful enough to bring the real dibate upon services and software. This is where the next generation console war will take place.

It's all about the games...? :|

;)

Nice to see you finally got to the point of the thread :)

_phil_ said:
(realisticaly)There's 2 capable hardware to run their top physic tech stuff (egg:fluids ) : PPU and ps3.
I believe this have to do with raw processing power ,and vertex cretation/destruction , where the CELL/RSX combo should shine.
So are we to assume this is based on what they think the final xbox360 performance will be or do they have final hardware?

ralexand said:
_phil_ said:
So are we to assume this is based on what they think the final xbox360 performance will be or do they have final hardware?

It's a very recent comment ,so i guess it's a least final specs. no final hardware exist ,be it x360 or cell.

Based on the architectures I imagine. If the PPU is a streaming vcetor processor, Cell has 7 such processors, XeCPU has 3 VMX units. To make the most of the Aegia physics engine 3 VMX doesn't cut it. BUT Idoubt Cell will be making the most of it, as those SPE's have other jobs to do as well as just run Novodex. Nothing's going to realisitically come close to the performance of their PPU chip, but also I think that processors overkill. Honestly, 100,000 rocks or 10,000, it's still a friggin' avalanche!

pc999 said:
Actually their demos do not impresse me much, PS3 demos had done a much better job.

You keep saying that. They got the demos up in like 3 weeks or at least the visuals aspect of them.

I don't recal any PS3 game pushing that level of physics although they did smoke Aegia's demos visually. Not even Killzone was knocking around the numbers of objects with physics on them nor had any sort of fluid dynamics as those demos did. The only demo that came close was the duckies demo in having a heck of alot of duckies on screen still interacting with one another. Even the ugly house side by side had more physics intereractions in it than any game shown at E3.

I think if you look at them again for what they are trying to showcase you'd be impressed. They didn't feature nice artists etc working on what will or could be game content...they were only trying to showcase the physics in a still eye pleasing way. If you're not impressed then I don't know why but to each his (or her) own ;)

Really youre comparing the vector output of two x360 VMX units versus 7 SPUs because The Cell also has a VMX unit clocked at the same speed as one of XCPU cores canceling each other out.

scificube said:
I think if you look at them again for what they are trying to showcase you'd be impressed. They didn't feature nice artists etc working on what will or could be game content...they were only trying to showcase the physics in a still eye pleasing way. If you're not impressed then I don't know why but to each his (or her) own ;)

Meybe it is because of the use that physics had in both demos, that I think Ageia dont impressed.

Anyway most of time it is only little rocks, it is not a city being destroied by a earthquake.The only thingh more interesthing is those rock avalanche.

Its because physics is not something that impresses as easily as graphics . But if you were to toss a rock into a huge pile of rocks and they started to all fall at you in the game in a realistic way where when each rock hits you depending on the angle and size you are pushed back or more to the side or hurt (if big enough) that would be impressive .

jvd said:
Its because physics is not something that impresses as easily as graphics . But if you were to toss a rock into a huge pile of rocks and they started to all fall at you in the game in a realistic way where when each rock hits you depending on the angle and size you are pushed back or more to the side or hurt (if big enough) that would be impressive .

Probably, and I think that physics will play a major role in next gen gameplay, but they speak of 40k bodys and their do not show that (the max is 6k rocks), meybe I took "bodys" in the wrong ways?

Anyway that demos really show physics that add anything more , to gameplay , than PS3/XB360 physics will add :?: (really question).I mean playing UT2k7 in earthquakes, in a lava/acid... planet , with rockets/gas weapons with wind, and such, meybe I will need to wait a few more gens

Or meybe they are just bad demos. :LOL:

PS: after what I saw in others topics from the GPUs really dont care wich one is more powerfull I doubt that one will add more gameplay than the other just, aesthetic pleasure ( that is important too but...), unless it is to be used on GPGPU or to offload even more the CPU.

the demos aren't impressive because they are just tech demos . As i said this isn't graphics , you can't make gow and have everyone go wow with physics you need to play it to experiance it .

ON the pc front its big news as the pc cpus while getting a dual core cpu is a big boost for them they are not going to keep gaining in speed but with the ppu it takes the burden off the cpu to use the cpu for other things important then the gpu is also taking things off the cpu and the sound card is taking more off the cpu .

The side effect is so much more can be done because of the dedicated add in card for it

Back