EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5 (rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

It seems that the next week event is going to give extra details but the leak is quite authentic and they are going to say the same, just with a lot more PR words.

Like a colleague says, who wants an E3 when you can have a 'business event'. :D
But there are also games like Minecraft, ESO, Diablo etc. which are on all platforms.
So doesn't mean much

Btw he removed the platforms

Last edited:
Sigh. Really not sure why you’re so heated here. I’ve not said anything offensive. It’s hard to imagine that MS and Xbox, the third longest surviving console has no idea what they are doing.

I’m not sure inunderstand what you mean that Xbox doesn’t take risks, they released 2 consoles instead of 1, they pushed for multiplayer cross platform play, they started game pass, they put all their games day 1 on PC; they made the largest merger ever in the history of mergers. Them moving to cloud is a risk. They’ve done a ton of things they benefitted consumers and they have not been rewarded for it. Excuse them if they decide that maybe all this risk isn’t worth it. I think it’s quite understandable for a CEO to say that when in all other markets; MS sells to all their competing platforms except on Xbox. They go wherever their customers are and not force them to come to them.

The reality is, the profit driver for both Sony and MS is in the selling of software, of which significantly more margin exists on the digital storefronts than that of physical. The hardware is nothing more than just a medium to drive people to purchasing from their own store. From a certain perspective it’s a detriment, since it requires a large capital cost to buy in to play said games. If you’re not selling any hardware you’re not driving anyone to buying from your store and therefore there is no revenue available to improve the ecosystem.

I’m not sure I follow any of your arguments here, firstly these are just rumours, and secondly Xbox is doing what it takes to survive and then thrive in a changing landscape where they were never first in any generation. This was always going to be the case here. Xbox was always heading in this direction the moment they declared that cloud was their future.

Perhaps the timetables have moved up, but there’s no denying that if you want more power and new technologies and experiences, it’s not going to happen designing a box with near equivalent performance as your competitor on a console where price, power and cooling are restricted.
I was not heated at you at all man. Was just ranting at Microsoft mainly. Very frustrating situation as I think this is going to be damaging for the gaming world as a whole in the big picture.

I dont consider this Xbox 'doing what it takes to survive', as if it's some struggling little company. They were simply making bad decisions and not producing enough great games. That's it. This is a fixable situation, but they are acting like it isn't. As if they have no other choice but to give up. They're acting as if they'd done a great job and that circumstances are just against them through no fault of their own. They aren't taking responsibility for their issues and trying to fix them, they're just going to try and change which game they're playing instead. And I think they're going to fail even harder at that because they aren't going to fix their issues, all while having none of the brand value benefits of leadership as a proper platform owner.

I think this will be the beginning of the end for them and Microsoft will slowly dismantle this whole thing because they simply aren't that interested in being just some game publisher.

I figure, if any of Microsoft's tentpole titles such as Forza, Gears, and Halo are announced for PlayStation and/or Switch within the coming weeks/months, then Microsoft is fully committed to supporting "all platforms."

Until then, everything is just speculation and smoke fanning.

One thing I wonder about is the incentive for staggering releases. They have to give PlayStation users an incentive to want to purchase these games...
That they're good games? I'm not convinced a game has a 'best before' date after which sales will reduce. I think that only really happens if your game is mediocre and once out there, people aren't enthusiastic and pre-release enthusiasm fades. If you have a best game ever, like Minecraft or Fortnite or GTA, they'll keep selling to new users across whatever platforms they release on.

I think this will be the beginning of the end for them and Microsoft will slowly dismantle this whole thing because they simply aren't that interested in being just some game publisher.

Um, yes they are.

Once certain individuals at Microsoft get over or passed their bruised egos, Microsoft (like any other business) is in business to make money, and lots of it. Not to appease a small fringe base of ridiculous acting gaming zealots.

Both stadia and GeForce now are very responsive. Fibre to home isn’t needed for game streaming. GeForce Now proves that well today. If they want game streaming to be the focus, they can get there fairly quickly with proper investment.

I don't know. It really depends how many hops you are from the cloud that's hosting the games. Would I really want an additional 20-50 ms of display lag? Also, the economics of it just seem plain weird to me. If you look at a streaming services for movies, they're mostly not doing well as far as I know. You need the customers to pay enough money to cover the costs of developing the movies/tv shows and also cover the costs of the constant streaming bandwidth. Most of these services are now looking at ads. Prime Video is going to have ads on their paid tier, I think. On top of that, they stream at lower bitrates so you get things like macro-blocking in dark scenes. Cloud gaming is a cool idea, I just don't understand how it would be sustainable.

That they're good games? I'm not convinced a game has a 'best before' date after which sales will reduce. I think that only really happens if your game is mediocre and once out there, people aren't enthusiastic and pre-release enthusiasm fades. If you have a best game ever, like Minecraft or Fortnite or GTA, they'll keep selling to new users across whatever platforms they release on.

Plus, later releases tend to have all the paid DLC, additional content that's specific to the new platform, or potentially be remastered altogether.

Also, the economics of it just seem plain weird to me. If you look at a streaming services for movies, they're mostly not doing well as far as I know. You need the customers to pay enough money to cover the costs of developing the movies/tv shows and also cover the costs of the constant streaming bandwidth.
The relative cost of TV and movie content to the hours entertainment it provides is higher than gaming. A $50 million movie gets you 2 hours engagement. A $50 million game can be tens of hours. Netflix spends $15+ billion a year on content. AB's operating expenses are 5 billion. EA's, 6 billion.

I think the bigger cost is the server structure as the datacentres need a lot more power to play the games. This is where cloud streaming services have mostly failed bar a handful.
Most of these services are now looking at ads.
Is that because it's necessary, or because they just want more money? It's not like Amazon is short on cash.

The relative cost of TV and movie content to the hours entertainment it provides is higher than gaming. A $50 million movie gets you 2 hours engagement. A $50 million game can be tens of hours. Netflix spends $15+ billion a year on content. AB's operating expenses are 5 billion. EA's, 6 billion.

I think the bigger cost is the server structure as the datacentres need a lot more power to play the games. This is where cloud streaming services have mostly failed bar a handful.

Is that because it's necessary, or because they just want more money? It's not like Amazon is short on cash.

I'm pretty sure Netflix is the only streaming service that has turned a profit and the rest are losing billions. I'd be really curious to see the payment model of these cloud gaming services. Do the publishers get paid for every 1000 hours their game gets played, or something like that? If you put a game that cost $250+ million to make and market, how does that money actually get recouped after the costs of delivering every hour of gaming are taken out? I'd be worried the prices would be cheap to pull people in, and then slowly the prices will creep and then ads will be inserted. Prime Video should now have a $3 charge to avoid ads, and I think they're expecting that will move the service towards profitability.

Well I just am looking at things from a hype factor. The further you are to launch with the conversation going the less interested people might be for a particular release especially if it's so late other games are more appealing by the time the staggered releases comes around. Not to say people aren't interested in games regardless of when they are released and all..

if you pay close attention to what this Neogaf user, SneakerSO, says. Take into account that he wrote these posts like two months ago, you might understand many things that are going to happen.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/euro...ox-series-s-x-3-26-yoy.1664690/post-268716941

All of them. I know of several high-profile Bethesda titles whose port work started up a few months ago. I also have some knowledge on ABK in general, and not a single project that was in dev, or that has gotten an initial approval to have an exploratory milestone achieved, has had a single discussion on exclusivity. I also now know of several titles that fall squarely under XGS, titles that have yet to be announced, that now are doing PS/Xbox/Switch 2 development.

The console wars are basically over. The public just doesn't know it yet.

---------------

Honestly, I don't think anyone, including MS, wants GP on other consoles. Some of the biggest revenue growth for MS has come from full game sales on PC. Why would MS wanna put the service on new growth markets which actively undermines that? I know that both Nintendo and Sony won't allow it, even as a XGS-only service. And to be frank, they don't need to.

----------------

Sony would've known by virtue of devs/pubs basically informing them and signing SLAs in order to ultimately ship to those platforms. MS didn't start doing PS versions of both ports and new releases without Sony being in the know.

------------------

I really don't think MS cuts hardware altogether. None of the conversations I have had indicates thats what the plan is.

MS still makes boat loads of revenue from the Xbox platform. Not on HW sales, but on services & subscriptions. Sure, if they begin announcing regular releases on PS/Nintendo, some of those users may just opt to leave, but the likelihood is that those users will still engage with MS' output, just on their terms.

Everything i've seen indicates that MS' approach will likely mirror how they treat the Surface line. Keep making a HW line for a very dedicated consumer base. Make your SW and services revenue on every other device.

----------------------
I really don't see how releasing on the Switch 2 would be seen as desperate. Ninteno has a massive userbase and GAAS titles have done well in that eco. MS has loads of GAAS games that would compliment Switch users.

You have to also consider - they aren't gonna drop support for their current consoles, or even stop their plans for their upcoming hardware. They are just gonna widen their publishing targets. This means, they are still going to be supporting the XSS for quite awhile, on top of already looking towards supporting the Switch 2 with some of their titles, such as Minecraft and CoD, the latter of which they are contractually obligated to support, and that is MS biggest revenue earner as of right now.

--------------

Ending console exclusivity is the road this is ultimately ending up at for them. Internally, Nadella and other execs have been questioning why they haven't gone this route a long time ago, and this is before the absolute collapse of their HW sales this year.

Ending exclusivity yields them a host of benefits, not the least of which is getting regulators off their backs for future acquisitions. You just have to measure the loss of revenue you'd get from users abandoning the HW platform, to the potential revenue you can make by selling on all platforms, not to mention even your lost users are just as lucky to keep using your software anywhere else.

----------------------
I mean, they now know without a doubt that playing the traditional console business model tactics isn't going to work, so producing a unit that needs mass market adoption doesn't need to happen if your SW can still make money on other platforms, so my prediction is that the next Xbox HW release will likely be very high end on the price tag, with very limited production. I also don't think they are going to enter an annual or semi-annual production model for their units. I expect HW demand will slide even further once titles are routinely releasing elsewhere, but like I said, it'll be greatly offset by the revenue from other platforms

Xbox has never really been concerned with 'growing their profit margins' - they regularly and famously don't make profit and have lost money on this outing for a very long time. Releasing software on other platforms isn't necessarily a high-margin endeavor, but the revenue it does generate does make it make sense. We're talking about a HW generation (XSS/X) where they were still selling units at a loss at full MSRP in year 3 - Sony was selling PS5s at a profit starting in year 2.

I don't imagine a situation where they maintain the current Xbox business model as is. The console isn't selling. Retailers are doing everything in their power in MS' strongest market to absolutely clear out stock or MS risks having to honor stock buybacks. They don't even have any big titles in the pipe on the scale of Starfield to even hope for a console sales rebound

---------------------

I really won't talk in depth on some of the other games coming cause announcing games for other teams is simply not my business.

But of course Starfield is gonna wind up elsewhere. I don't know why you'd even be surprised by that. Also - why would you even care? Why would this ruin your day?

Also, I don't have an uncle anywhere. I've worked at various pubs over my career, including Zenimax in recent times.

--------------

A big reduction on ad spend promoting the console happened not long after Starfield launched. Not just in EU, but WW even, and right before the holidays to boot. Can't really be surprised at the results, but ad campaigns are typically flexible enough to allow you to save some money in the short term as you change-up long-term plans.

----------------

There were several growth milestones they were expecting to hit before 2027 and outside of the ones they hit thanks to the boost Covid/pandemic gave them and everyone else, they have yet to hit any of them, and are churning around the same number of users, more or less. They also massively overshot how much they expected to invest in the division. Again - Covid boost to GP really blinded them on how well the service was actually doing.

To put it bluntly, when Nadella removed GP growth off of his KPIs, a whole heck of a lot changed at Xbox and Microsoft gaming.

--------------

Then that begs the question - why were those studios purchased? If their output shouldn't be expected to sell, then why would anyone think that same output should be a compelling reason to move consoles?

I do think folks are underestimating just how valuable the increased exposure with wider releases might yield for a variety of different growth vectors for Microsoft in general, whether thats getting more users overall on Azure-backed games, to users in other ecos being exposed to that output and then opting to get an Xbox as a means of gaining access to the GP service.

Not to mention - if MS' is truly invested in maintaining and growing their current revenue levels, then closing studios would merely run counter to that. Again, noting that the studios we're talking about are not the big revenue earners in general. Fact remains though that, if the goal in buying all these studios was to somehow grow the Xbox console business, then they absolutely, unequivocally failed in this regard. They are doing worse than X1 now by a notable margin.

-----------------------
Jez doesn't know anything that isn't spoonfed to him by his MS contacts. This isn't gonna be a blanket announcement or story. It'll be a slow-trickle of announcements that establishes a new norm, and thats all. Mega-corps like MS will never go out and make any announcement that can have them be viewed as being in a negative or poor position - could affect stock prices too much.

Anyway, this is one of those situations where nothing has to be said. Just let the ports/games speak for themselves. Too many I now know about from colleagues working on them to really doubt its occurring.

------------------------

Sony has not agreed to it, nor will they ever. More importantly - MS wouldn't want that themselves. They'd make more money on full game sales in that eco. There is a reason why the biggest software revenue for them is coming from PC, and its not cause of the Windows Store.

-----------------------

he real reason why Xbox will always make a console marked Xbox, even if it does transition into being a Windows Box for TVs, is that the sub revenue from console users is still highly valuable to MS, whether we're talking GP or just XBLG. Sure, they aren't high enough to offset their operating costs, but for MS, its still subscription & services revenue that they'd rather have than not have.

For the majority of what Xbox is producing, however, I can't really say just how difficult MS will find it to discover an audience for their output. Sure, for a lot of their XGS titles, mindshare and brand recognition is really, absurdly low. Just as an example, marketing metrics on Hellblade 2 after the TGAs couldn't be worse for a game of its budget, and that is a highly anticipated title for the core Xbox audience. This isn't a novelty though - Ninja Theory struggled with sales on non-licensed titles they worked on for a long time. The same can be said about most of the teams MS has bought. As much as Obsidian can be beloved, their titles have typically not moved the needle in sales. Same can be said for inXile, Compulsion too. The biggest selling entities that MS has purchased has been BGS, Playground, and ABK.

This isn't to really harp on those other studios in their portfolio though. I do think that, with an expanded potential audience, and with a marketing campaigns designed to appeal to users in those expanded ecosystems, that those games may be able to find sizable audiences without much issue. As for these games now being compared to other pieces of content already on offer on those platforms - in many ways, they already were, albeit not in a head-to-head, 'which should I buy' comparison.

Quality is an interesting idea to talk about, but I am going to choose to ignore this part when doing some evaluating all this, simply cause we don't really know what some of this output will be like in the coming years. I do have some thoughts on it, but I think thats irrelevant right now.

Last edited:
Um, yes they are.

Once certain individuals at Microsoft get over or passed their bruised egos, Microsoft (like any other business) is in business to make money, and lots of it. Not to appease a small fringe base of ridiculous acting gaming zealots.
Why would they 'get over bruised egos' when that's exactly what is causing their current problems?

This isn't some completely new problem, they've been struggling for more than a decade now.

They aren't going to be happy with moderate financial results through some generic business offering. It's an entirely uninteresting proposition compared to actually being a major platform owner where they could potentially build on said platform.

As I said before, whatever they try now, they will likely fail ever harder at, cuz they are actively avoiding addressing their core issues, thinking there will magically be some better alternative if they just boardroom it hard enough. It's classic idiotic corporate thinking.

This makes Gamepass worse in a way. Not worse for customers, they've got a win. Worse for Microsoft, which is now lowering the overall amount spent on games by just giving people super cheap games so... uhm. Part 2 of "the plan" is still pending.

Ending console exclusivity is the road this is ultimately ending up at for them. Internally, Nadella and other execs have been questioning why they haven't gone this route a long time ago, and this is before the absolute collapse of their HW sales this year.

Ending exclusivity yields them a host of benefits, not the least of which is getting regulators off their backs for future acquisitions. You just have to measure the loss of revenue you'd get from users abandoning the HW platform, to the potential revenue you can make by selling on all platforms, not to mention even your lost users are just as lucky to keep using your software anywhere else.

Exactly, Microsoft's aim!

I don't know. It really depends how many hops you are from the cloud that's hosting the games. Would I really want an additional 20-50 ms of display lag? Also, the economics of it just seem plain weird to me. If you look at a streaming services for movies, they're mostly not doing well as far as I know. You need the customers to pay enough money to cover the costs of developing the movies/tv shows and also cover the costs of the constant streaming bandwidth. Most of these services are now looking at ads. Prime Video is going to have ads on their paid tier, I think. On top of that, they stream at lower bitrates so you get things like macro-blocking in dark scenes. Cloud gaming is a cool idea, I just don't understand how it would be sustainable.
I think it comes down to financial model. GeForce now works because you are only paying for the streaming service, you still very much need to pay for your own library.

Xbox and others are in a harder setup, on one hand if you allow them to play purchased titles on streaming, you must forever allow those games to run on your service. If you go the game pass model, you can freely cycle games in and out of the service ensuring that you have no waste supporting titles only a handful of players that play it.

I am curious to see what the they will do here, but if they decide to move their exclusives over to Sony, then your own ecosystem better have a technological or some other form of differentiation factor that it alone is enough to make people purchase it.

And if you don’t, and you’re just competing on library and they seem to have made enough purchases to be eventually able to sway people about it - but either that will take too long or the good will with Xbox is far too loss to recover.

I think it comes down to financial model. GeForce now works because you are only paying for the streaming service, you still very much need to pay for your own library.

Xbox and others are in a harder setup, on one hand if you allow them to play purchased titles on streaming, you must forever allow those games to run on your service. If you go the game pass model, you can freely cycle games in and out of the service ensuring that you have no waste supporting titles only a handful of players that play it.

Amazon Luna is starting to be more of a hybrid of GamePass and Geforce Now. You can either subscribe to Luna or if you are a Prime member and have a Ubisoft account you can link your Prime and Ubisoft accounts and play some of your purchased Ubisoft games through Luna. I'm hoping that Amazon look at opening that up to Epic Games Store as well, since I have a ton of games on EGS that I would like to try.

On the subject of Cloud Gaming I keep seeing people on the web saying that if Microsoft drop out of making consoles, that Sony would have a monopoly and the raise console prices to $800 and games to $80 or $100 a game. Well I'm sure that MS is banking on that happening since they can then start pushing Xcloud as an alternative for parents unwilling to part with over $1000 to buy a kid a console. People are already struggling to buy $500 consoles and $70 games, Sony would be foolish to try that and I imagine that would hasten the end of home consoles much more quickly.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced a game has a 'best before' date after which sales will reduce.
That's not quite true, I bought Mercenaries 2 World In Flames and a week later they shut down the servers

The relative cost of TV and movie content to the hours entertainment it provides is higher than gaming.
You say that and then provide an example that shows the opposite
A $50 million movie gets you 2 hours engagement. A $50 million game can be tens of hours.

Xbox and others are in a harder setup, on one hand if you allow them to play purchased titles on streaming, you must forever allow those games to run on your service.
While i agree with the sentiment, the truth is publishers and developers dont give a toss

Last edited:
Both stadia and GeForce now are very responsive. Fibre to home isn’t needed for game streaming. GeForce Now proves that well today. If they want game streaming to be the focus, they can get there fairly quickly with proper investment.
I don't see that working for PvP games I would enjoy. Even current games have enough problems with network latency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back