EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5 (rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo has shut off a lot of rumours which were shown to be inaccurate many times, it would be easy for MS to do the same.

Even Phil Spencer has done something similar when a rumour was truly false

Those were interviews with journalists. It’s not responding to social media. If you look at the king of not responding, Sony doesn’t communicate anything at all. There’s just no reason to respond, and it often doesn’t help your case. I have at times asked why MS bothers to engage, but is suspect they need to stay engaged to keep their customer base. But in this case, it’s best not to engage.

More than likely there is some internal strife between XB division leadership and Microsoft parent leadership. Phil wanting to push XB forward with more traditional exclusives and hardware, while the CEO and CFO are looking more towards immediate profitably for a division that has been flailing for quite sometime.

Those were interviews with journalists. It’s not responding to social media. If you look at the king of not responding, Sony doesn’t communicate anything at all. There’s just no reason to respond, and it often doesn’t help your case. I have at times asked why MS bothers to engage, but is suspect they need to stay engaged to keep their customer base. But in this case, it’s best not to engage.

Phil and certain other XB division heads have fostered such a hands-on approach with certain gaming media personalities, and even overzealous fans, that this blowup of uncertainty and direction of XB is mostly their fault. You can't be super approachable and a (supposed) gamer one minute, then turnaround and be aloof with those same individuals.

Gaslighting or greenlighting, but at this point, it's all messy messaging from Microsoft. Directly or indirectly...
From Twitter this was filmed prior to the back pedalling.

If I had to guess, and we’ve discussed in the past, Indiana jones is likely multiplatform. MS has a history of keeping silent about this type of thing, but actual exclusives we know immediately.

Do you have any examples where some big news like this one did not have any response from Sony?

Do you have any examples where some big news like this one did not have any response from Sony?
Sony responds to news. It’s very different from responding to rumours right. Like when Insomniac got hacked, it responded. It was real and they needed messaging out there for their base and investors.

But things like, will God of War go to PS4 or other consoles:

Nothing to comment. Even though that did indeed come true, it came to ps4.

I can t think of other rumours that were true that they declined to comment on. But I think it’s pretty normal business practice to not engage in rumour discussion.

Sony responds to news. It’s very different from responding to rumours right. Like when Insomniac got hacked, it responded. It was real and they needed messaging out there for their base and investors.

But things like, will God of War go to PS4 or other consoles:

Nothing to comment. Even though that did indeed come true, it came to ps4.

I can t think of other rumours that were true that they declined to comment on. But I think it’s pretty normal business practice to not engage in rumour discussion.
It seems it depends on the severity. Both cases were proven factual though not just rumors. GoW coming to PS4 wasn't much of a damage that needed to be addressed. Sooner or later it was bound to be announced. Silence kind of confirmed it was true.

Rumors suggesting XBOX exclusives will be coming to PS5, if it has strong implications on shareholders' expectations and on market performance, might require MS to address it.

If it's just a rumor, MS can just say this is not true. But if it is true, silence sounds like confirmation and negativity letting the market interpret it any way they want.

It seems it depends on the severity. Both cases were proven factual though not just rumors. GoW coming to PS4 wasn't much of a damage that needed to be addressed. Sooner or later it was bound to be announced. Silence kind of confirmed it was true.

Rumors suggesting XBOX exclusives will be coming to PS5, if it has strong implications on shareholders' expectations and on market performance, might require MS to address it.

If it's just a rumor, MS can just say this is not true. But if it is true, silence sounds like confirmation and negativity letting the market interpret it any way they want.
Not necessarily. And that’s sort of the point. The internet can gather together can just ride a crazy viral wave and force a response from a company and just use that as clues to what a company is doing or isn’t doing. And even if they respond they can still lie about it which is what Jim Ryan did anyway.

I’m not seeing how not responding to serious rumours is important for a company. They are just rumours until real announcements are made.

No one, really has any idea what will be announced this week. There’s a high chance it’s a nothing burger and people will lose faith in leakers. Leakers only get more power And clout if they’re right or if companies respond to them.

Let me just say that I’ve been privy to information in the past and found out that those ideas were later shelved. If any of those ideas were to suddenly be pulled off the shelves and released, that would be a fairly large trajectory change for them as well. There’s a lot that could be announced that is not necessarily tied with the rumours of today. I’m not saying you’re wrong, or rather that they are wrong, just that there are certainly more possibilities than what we’ve seen so far. Including the leaks from the ABK merger

Last edited:
I guess the ultimate question for Microsoft is, do they feel they have already achieved their goal of capping Sony's ability to release a competitor to Windows?

I can agree with this btw. Cloud is inevitable. It might not be here until Gen12, but anyone who thinks the average gamer is going to care about having their own box when we get to sub 1ms latency eventually is fooling themselves. And we will get there as surely as we have more than 640k memory in our PCs and as surely as an AI will write better music than The Beatles. The future is arriving.

No consoles in 5-10 years is an exaggeration. We know that Sony has already made a contract for a new PS. And that is supposed to last 7 years minimum when launched.

Also the internet infrastructure is not the same all over the world and neither does it develop at the same rate. The experience must be consistent fully everywhere to have global cloud support that replaces consoles

Waiting is a strategy too: it deflates the initial rage and allows one to process the information more rationally.
Don't know if they are messy or strategist tho.
At this point people have already accepted the concept, they can make a video and just say deal with it.

No consoles in 5-10 years is an exaggeration. We know that Sony has already made a contract for a new PS. And that is supposed to last 7 years minimum when launched.

Also the internet infrastructure is not the same all over the world and neither does it develop at the same rate. The experience must be consistent fully everywhere to have global cloud support that replaces consoles
well, while I don't agree with him entirely, the Xbox doesn't seem to go nowhere. Maybe we are going to see cloud compatible TVs, or TVs with embedded Playstations for those who prefer the console experience, but yeah that's what I heard, that Sony and AMD have recently signed an agreement

I can agree with this btw. Cloud is inevitable. It might not be here until Gen12, but anyone who thinks the average gamer is going to care about having their own box when we get to sub 1ms latency eventually is fooling themselves. And we will get there as surely as we have more than 640k memory in our PCs and as surely as an AI will write better music than The Beatles. The future is arriving.
Wouldn't that require game servers to be <100 miles of everyone?

We already have game streaming capable tv
Samsung launched some models optimized for low latency inputs.

Wouldn't that require game servers to be <100 miles of everyone?

My understanding is that 5G is going to be the standard going forward. It has extremely low latency (1ms) allowing for some decent reactivity. You can drop 5G routers to home negating the needs for lines to homes. It should be good for streaming, they just need to be able to move their equipment closer to where 5G does its work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back