EU Playstation 3 - Fan speed?

- Fan's "normal level" after 10mins of idling, movie freaks would say "no-no" for this
PS3's normal fan noise is completely unobtrusive I would say. I wouldn't listen to what a "movie freak" thinks about it just as little as I would listen to an audiophile's opinions about signal cabling. If you buy $100s worth of leads with little arrows on them indicating "current direction" then you belong in a madhouse heh heh.

My friend's LCD projector makes more noise than PS3 does so I think even movie lovers (as opposed to "freaks") would be happy with using one as a player.

Though the high power consumption could be an issue for those who aren't interested in it as a game playing device. A dedicated player would probably be better for those that only want to watch movies.

Peace.

i agree level 3 is too noisy for theater enthusiasts.

also annoying is that once my ps3 reaches level 3 via folding, it wont go down to level 2 again when i turn folding off, although the temperatures drops 5º.

i dont have a bluray movie yet to see how noise it gets

i dont have a bluray movie yet to see how noise it gets

I have the US model PS3 along with many blu-ray movies. I never notice the noise from the PS3 during movie playback. Overall I find the PS3 runs very quiet! Maybe peoples environments are making a big difference? My PS3 is about 2 feet from the floor on the bottom floor of our house in California, where its 'relatively' dry and cool. Thats quite the contrast to an upper floor apartment I used to have many a year ago in Texas which was somewhat warmer. Also, there are no components below it, so there is no heat wafting upwards from below to artificially warm it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS3's normal fan noise is completely unobtrusive I would say. I wouldn't listen to what a "movie freak" thinks about it just as little as I would listen to an audiophile's opinions about signal cabling. If you buy $100s worth of leads with little arrows on them indicating "current direction" then you belong in a madhouse heh heh.

My friend's LCD projector makes more noise than PS3 does so I think even movie lovers (as opposed to "freaks") would be happy with using one as a player.

Though the high power consumption could be an issue for those who aren't interested in it as a game playing device. A dedicated player would probably be better for those that only want to watch movies.

Peace.

The thing is that he has one of the noisy PS3's, "normally" it doesn't keep that loud sound, but some units do (and according to the official represtantive here in Finland, those consoles are perfectly fine)

Someone @ MuroBBS did quite a stunt to test out PS3's fans (he's one of those who have the loud ones)
He found at least 8 different "levels" on the fan, here's a translation of the levels:

- Fan off
- Fan on, but really silent "hummming"
- Fan's "normal level" after 10mins of idling, movie freaks would say "no-no" for this
*Covers the PS3 inside a towel*
- It's loud
- It's REALLY loud
- Gets even louder
- Hellish noise
- "OMFG-level"
- "Beyond OMFG-level" - if I heard a person yelling like this, I'd call straight to the morgue instead of 112 (112 is the finnish 911)

The "levels" are audible steps on the fan speed, and the PS3 did survive the towel test, it stepped down 4 levels within a minute after removing the towel.

Well the answer is right there. Is your ps3 in a space where it can breath? In the youtube vid it's under the tv right against the wall...it can't get the air to cool it down. The towel test shows that when it's covered up the fans kick in greatly.

Put it in a place where it can breath...and then lets see what happens.

i agree level 3 is too noisy for theater enthusiasts.
What do they use to play movies then? Aren't BRD/HD DVD players just as noisy? They've all got quiet fans at best and the same sort of drives. If you're that sensitive (and what movie enthusiast hasn't got a stupidly loud 5.1 audio setup...), surely the only solution is to move the player into another room and run a cable to the display? The new PS2 is a very quiet device, but the drive makes an audible racket. I've a fanless DVD player and that can be heard chugging away. Is PS3 really that much noisier?

Well the answer is right there. Is your ps3 in a space where it can breath? In the youtube vid it's under the tv right against the wall...it can't get the air to cool it down. The towel test shows that when it's covered up the fans kick in greatly.

Put it in a place where it can breath...and then lets see what happens.

I don't have a PS3 myself, I'm just fine with my PC :cool:
The people who have reported to have a noisy unit have tested theirs even just sitting on bare table, where nothing can block the air, with room temperatures in the 18-22C range

What do they use to play movies then? Aren't BRD/HD DVD players just as noisy? They've all got quiet fans at best and the same sort of drives. If you're that sensitive (and what movie enthusiast hasn't got a stupidly loud 5.1 audio setup...), surely the only solution is to move the player into another room and run a cable to the display? The new PS2 is a very quiet device, but the drive makes an audible racket. I've a fanless DVD player and that can be heard chugging away. Is PS3 really that much noisier?

I'm just saying. If a bluray movie plays with level 3, plus the noise from the bluray-drive, its about on par with my Watercooled Pc (where i see all my movies and series), and that isn't so quiet as it may sound from ppl reports. It gets really noticeable in the quiet scenes.

But I have to try a bluray movie first, maybe it doesn't get to level 3... i don't know yet. But i'm pretty confident it will :\ judging from the idling, it's enough to kick fans to level 2 with ps3 just sitting there on xmb.

I'm just saying. If a bluray movie plays with level 3, plus the noise from the bluray-drive, its about on par with my Watercooled Pc (where i see all my movies and series), and that isn't so quiet as it may sound from ppl reports. It gets really noticeable in the quiet scenes.

But I have to try a bluray movie first, maybe it doesn't get to level 3... i don't know yet. But i'm pretty confident it will :\ judging from the idling, it's enough to kick fans to level 2 with ps3 just sitting there on xmb.

There is no noise from the BD drive at all. The fan is louder than that. The BD "noise" does not contribute to it.

Btw. is it just me or has the recent 1.70 update somehow changed my perception of the fan noise? Either im deaf or ´the sound level is much lower now (with the fan in level 3), maybe they changed rotation speeds a bit?

I don't have a PS3 myself, I'm just fine with my PC :cool:
The people who have reported to have a noisy unit have tested theirs even just sitting on bare table, where nothing can block the air, with room temperatures in the 18-22C range

my bad ;)

Back