Emulators running on Xbox360/PS3 status?*

slapnutz

Regular
Hey all,

I dont exactly follow the hacking scene that frequently and wanted to know what if anything is been done regarding getting Emulators to run on the Xbox360 for systems such as SNES, NeoGeo, Mame, Genesis....etc..etc...

Pretty much like how the (modded) Xbox1 could play nearly all the previous consoles via emulators.

Cheers.

EDIT: Same question for PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can install linux to ps3 without hacking. You should find emulators running pretty ok. there. Though you will be running generic ppc linux versions not ps3 optimized binaries.

As for xbox360, I guess one can only run signed code there so no emulators?

Yep, Xbox 360 only allows signed code, so no homebrew or emu ports.

This security was broken briefly, but the issue has since been fixed in newer firmware revisions.

You can install linux to ps3 without hacking. You should find emulators running pretty ok. there. Though you will be running generic ppc linux versions not ps3 optimized binaries.

As for xbox360, I guess one can only run signed code there so no emulators?

Though, there's no access to RSX in Linux, so it's all software rendered

For old consoles, that's not an issue. Cell hasn't plenty enough oomph to emulate a SNES or 3DO or PSX.

Well, I think that for 8/16/32bit console generation, Cell capabilities could easily solve the problem.

If they develop super complex multi-threaded Cell-optimized emulators. Heh. What's out there now for PS1 and N64 isn't perfect as it is. Especially N64 emus. I bet Cell would struggle even so if it tried to emulate the rendering.

After reading the whole thread, despite the good work they're doing I'm not holding my breath. The only hopeful part in it is that it shows that Sony could expose the RSX in a hack-proof manner. I wish they would, but they don't seem to be in a hurry, which is unfortunate.

Perhaps they're waiting for people to develop Cell software first, like that...whateveritscalled SPU accelerated graphics lib. This'll generate the Cell know-how I think they're after, and eventually they can say 'oh go on then, here's RSX access' perhaps in line with homebrew development for Arcade titles.

Perhaps they're waiting for people to develop Cell software first, like that...whateveritscalled SPU accelerated graphics lib. This'll generate the Cell know-how I think they're after, and eventually they can say 'oh go on then, here's RSX access' perhaps in line with homebrew development for Arcade titles.

mesa?

After reading the whole thread, despite the good work they're doing I'm not holding my breath. The only hopeful part in it is that it shows that Sony could expose the RSX in a hack-proof manner. I wish they would, but they don't seem to be in a hurry, which is unfortunate.

Looks like another "breakthrough" discovery has been done now, ie 3D stuff is also starting to show up.

As for progression speed, any progression is better than none, right? ;D

Yep, Xbox 360 only allows signed code, so no homebrew or emu ports.

This security was broken briefly, but the issue has since been fixed in newer firmware revisions.

Wasn't that hole patched before it was ever made public in the first place?

RSX

I don't think they will ever give pure RSX access, only through extra instruction layer so you cannot know where Cell ends and RSX begins.

This way it is difficult to benchmark RSX and reveal actual hardware specification.

If they develop super complex multi-threaded Cell-optimized emulators. Heh. What's out there now for PS1 and N64 isn't perfect as it is. Especially N64 emus. I bet Cell would struggle even so if it tried to emulate the rendering.
Last time I played with Project64 using it's software renderer it ran at a fairly decent speed on my PC and it's nothing great (Athlon64 3500+), certainly a lot less grunt than CELL.

Last time I played with Project64 using it's software renderer it ran at a fairly decent speed on my PC and it's nothing great (Athlon64 3500+), certainly a lot less grunt than CELL.

Software renderers usually drop precision of various things to greatly reduce the computational demands. Texture filtering quality, for example, often takes a big dive.

Back