The World's First NAS for PlayStation3 & Xbox360 DLNA Media Streaming

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by "Nerve-Damage", Sep 5, 2007.

1. "Nerve-Damage"

Regular

The World's First NAS for PlayStation3 & Xbox360 DLNA Media Streaming

2. patsu

Legend

Now let's see Sony update the PS3 firmware to use the gigabit port + NAS server as secondary storage. :cool:

If necessary, it can still use the built-in WiFi separately for online app access (e.g., network gaming, web browsing, ...)

EDIT:
    Missed this embedded link in the press release:

#2 patsu, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  3. jb

jb
    Veteran

Why thats cool! However I have a D-link nas that I have been able to stream music/pic/video to my xbox360 using a 3rd part app running on the NAS. But still very neat stuff!

4. patsu

Legend

Yes ! They are both using DLNA (or may be SMB also for Xbox 360 ?). We should see better DLNA server software over time. QNAP simply packages more software into an inexpensive solution (Another 1 Tb NAS brand was $500 last month).

I hope Sony and these NAS vendors polish their UI more. What's also lacking is a server search function (e.g., accessible via the web browser ?), and more format support.

As I mentioned above, enhanced gigabit software can enable PS3 to use the NAS as a HDD (instead of via high level DLNA protocol). That way, I can also save, cache/play, backup games, record PVR videos on it, and don't have to upgrade the built-in HDD anymore. The built-in drive is still good for storing critical system/account data or performing firmware upgrade. This is purely my hope. Sony did not announce anything in this area.

EDIT: Coupled with RemotePlay and you can see why I have been tracking this with much enthusiasm. I need the built-in iTunes NAS server too.

#4 patsu, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  5. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

Sony releases a server too.
    http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_room/consumer/home_audio_video/release/31274.html

6. Planet

Newcomer

7. patsu

Legend

That's right ! Buffalo Linkstation (1 Tb) is the brand I mentioned above. I am waiting for price to fall further :)

It would be great if HES-V1000 can take PS3 game discs also, so the users don't have to swap disc in and out of PS3 to play any of them.

The price ($3,500) is too high for me.

They should introduce another low- or mid-end model:
    Drop the BD disc changer and lower the price point to sub $500. Add the Cell processor to index and search the images, music and video on-the-fly. Add sync'ing to iPod, iPhone and PSP. If they can do the ingest and search function well, it should sell.

Most of these multimedia systems choked on some media and cannot deal with a large library effective.