Emulated PS2 titles coming to PSN

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Trejser, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Trejser

Regular

Looks like software emulator is working, at least for part of the libary.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sony-pushes-psn-exclusives-with-only-on-psn-program/

From NG user:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31476639&postcount=299

2. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

The announced titles make sense for pure emulation. The VanillaWare 2D titles and a very early game like Ring of Red should be achievable in software far more easily than later games like MGS3 or the God of War games...

3. Nesh

Legend

How will this work? Are they going to update the PS3 firmware so that all can run some PS2 disks?

Or will we be able to play only some PS2 games that are available in DD form?
    i.e will I be able to play Maximo on my PS3 if I have the disk?

4. Brad Grenz

Veteran

I think it will only work for the versions you download.

5. kagemaru

Veteran

This is awesome news! I wonder what difference there would be between the download and disc versions.

6. patsu

Legend

The official blog has more info:
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...n-for-new-exclusive-games-throughout-october/

The new PSN titles look interesting too.

The emulated PS2 titles will be priced @ $9.99 according to Destructoid:
    http://www.destructoid.com/psn-promo-brings-back-classics-god-hand-odin-sphere-212813.phtml

7. -tkf-

Legend

Let me insert my PS2 disc and then get a a free download of the game please :)

8. patsu

Legend

Heh heh, that would be UltraViolet type of DRM, but they need an out-of-band mechanism to prove that you own the PS2 discs though. Someone can borrow, transfer or burn PS2 discs from their friends and libraries to claim ownership.

9. Prophecy2k

Veteran

Ring of Red is the single greatest stretegy rpg game ever created (followed closely by Valkyria Chronicles and the first Vandal Hearts).

That is all...

:cool:

10. patsu

Legend

11. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Very tempted to buy Grim Grimoire. Vanillaware games don't need native hd resolutions to look. stunning.

12. TheD

Newcomer

That is for an emulator of the EE, something that the PS3s without the EE but with the GS had (also incorrectly called the "software" BC PS3s).

13. patsu

Legend

Do they have a new patent for the new BC mechanism ? Most people thought it's impossible to emulate PS2 on PS3. Sony probably pre-processed these games and then run them natively on PS3 ?

14. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

Its not impossible to support a few games at a time , with maybe custom patches required.
    Impossible, or nearly impossible would be an emulator that just works with a big number of existing PS2 games without any per-game hacks/patches.

15. Gitaroo

Veteran

are those PS2 games atleast output at native 480p now? Since the rendering are being done on the PS3 hardware, not the PS2 one like the old PS3.

16. KongRudi

Regular

Torgo spoke about it on this weeks PSNation podcast.

They put a software-wrapper around the PS2-ISO, wich emulates the part of a PS2 wich the game use. So if you didn't fork out for the old backward-compatible PS3's, you won't be playing Maximo.

Also savegames, from the old PS2 memory cards won't work with the new downloadable version, even if you have that PS2=>PS3 memory-card adapter, wich were made for the PS3 when it had BC.

17. patsu

Legend

Huh ? The PS2 titles on PSN should play on every PS3 right ?

18. Brad Grenz

Veteran

I think he means these releases won't make non-BC models of the PS3 capable of playing disc versions of these games.

19. Commenter

Newcomer

If it's simply an engineering problem then I don't know why it would be impossible. It's obviously very tricky to get emulate the PS2 properly though.

20. patsu

Legend

Well... for a start, I'm not sure if it's emulation or a convert-and-run approach. I am more inclined to believe it's the latter. The PSN PS2 games are not really PS2 images right ?