Elden Ring [2022-21-01] [PS, XB, PC]

The cool with the Kratos video I linked above is that is all accomplished using in game tools (character creation) and in game items, so no modding needed. You can achieve those same results on PS5 and XBS consoles. :) Modding, of course takes that to another level entirely.

Regards,
SB

Hmmm, I just saw a report that mentioned that Bandai Namco were forecasting unit sales of 4 million copies in the first 5 weeks. That was, as we know, absolutely shattered in less than 3 week's time.

You can imagine that the development budget for the game was likely predicated on that number. Hopefully, From Software will have access to a much larger budget for whatever follow-up Souls game they end up making.

Along those lines, I got to thinking about their Souls games. The Dark Souls series are all set in some mythological country that is just a very small but geologically remote part of some mythological world. Elden Ring on the other hand is set in a mythological land named "The Lands Between." It exists as some point between countries(?), worlds(?), universes(?)...

This then means that it is entirely possible that Dark Souls could be linked to Elden Ring in some way which makes similarities (like Patches, or the Moonlight Greatsword for example) potentially more than just thematic elements that From Software likes.

Also, I've never seen videos by this guy before, but this was amusingly well done.

I, of course, disagree with some of his statements, but I still find it interesting that he thinks the combat is unfair (I think it's actually extremely fair) but still thinks it's one of the best games.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:

OK, this was really really cute. A YouTuber getting his non-gamer girlfriend to play Elden Ring until she'd killed 3 bosses.

She enjoyed it so much she extended it to 4 bosses.

Regards,
SB

Ok bought it but probably will sell soon, just cant stand this graphics and premis of minimal npc interactivity/story telling and fighting with everything that move

Yeah, it's not for everybody. That's why I'm semi surprised by all the hype around this game. I mean it's great if you like the genre, but i bet a lot of "novice" just don't know what they're getting into.

Yeah, it's not for everybody. That's why I'm semi surprised by all the hype around this game. I mean it's great if you like the genre, but i bet a lot of "novice" just don't know what they're getting into.
Yes and I had exp with demon souls but for now I pass on this game. Without guidence is too obscure, hard, large and just boring for me. I read one to get two katanas but turned out I dont like this style without shield and just dont want to force myself now to try other build. But will go back again after finishing Lost Judgment Kaitos Files probably.

Yes and I had exp with demon souls but for now I pass on this game. Without guidence is too obscure, hard, large and just boring for me.
This is why Breath of the Wild did't click for me, there was too little direction. I absolutely love exploring interesting open worlds but not aimlessly not randomly. Being directed to head over there for a specific purpose and exploring nooks and crannies on the way is perfect for me. The balance of too open a world coupled with a lack of direction is not my thing. That may be why some folks who enjoyed the more linear easier games are hitting a wall with this one.

Once the game has been explored to hell and back, and there are some really good guide suggestions to see and explore the world without the frustration of aimless wandering and experimenting, I will give a look.

I would probably have loved this 30 years ago when I had infinite free time because Elite on 8-bit was basically this.

Yes and I had exp with demon souls but for now I pass on this game. Without guidence is too obscure, hard, large and just boring for me. I read one to get two katanas but turned out I dont like this style without shield and just dont want to force myself now to try other build. But will go back again after finishing Lost Judgment Kaitos Files probably.

If you like shields, then you should double down on that. Strength based shield builds (high strength, vitality, and endurance) are extremely strong in Elden Ring for PVE, probably the strongest that build has ever been outside of Dark Souls 1. It allows you to basically steamroll through most of the game as long as you do even a tiny bit of farming.

Some weapons like spears even allow you to attack while guarding with the shield. The counterattack mechanic with shields allows you to punish enemies after they hit your shield.

Keep that in mind when you try the game again. :)

Dex builds (which is basically what you have to do when using Katanas) is one of the hardest builds to pull off in Elden Ring. This is especially true in the late game when more bosses become immune to bleed and other status effects.

I'm a bit of a masochist since I'm doing a dex based build with Katanas and Bow, but then I enjoy the challenge. :D

Regards,
SB

Dex builds (which is basically what you have to do when using Katanas) is one of the hardest builds to pull off in Elden Ring. This is especially true in the late game when more bosses become immune to bleed and other status effects.
SB
I read its op but apparently somebody lied me :D

I read its op but apparently somebody lied me :D

It is in the right circumstances. Most bleed weapons are dex based and bleed is really powerful right now, unless the enemy is bleed resistant or immune.

However, while it can dish out a lot of damage in the right circumstances, your only survivability is dodging which can become difficult as the difficulty ramps up. Especially with bosses that have faster and more complex attacks that also mix in ranged magic.

That said, if you can get really good at parrying, then a dex build can be really powerful with good survivability. But then parrying also increases the power of all other builds as well. :p

Strength based builds have not only massive damage but also really good survivability due to their shields (and they can still dodge if you want, although I've seen some go heavy weight with fat rolls with heavy damage mitigating armor). You do have to watch out for unblockable attacks and you do need to manage your stamina, but it's overall easier than dex builds.

Magic builds have the benefit of being able to do a lot of damage from range (far more than bow builds) at the expense of generally being squishier due to the heavy investment into mind to have the mana to cast their spells. And they do need something else for magic resistant enemies although there are some Int spells that do physical damage.

Mixing some faith into strength builds is incredibly powerful in the latter parts of the game where you can afford to diversify your stats a little more as it not only boosts your survivability but also your damage. Mostly for the buffs and some really neat weapons with faith requirements.

Regards,
SB

Destroying everything so far with rivers of blood katana and blood flies spell. Main aspect is arcane. This is now the third BS OP build that kills everything left and right in my playthrough :)

Malenia and Mohg on second try, everything else typically dies in seconds. Blood flies is autopilot: just summon the mimic, letting it tank for a bit while I cast blood flies from safe distance.

Thinking about going Blasphemous sword build next…to get the final BS OP build option myself. Oh, I forgot, so far I did not touch any sorcery and int builds…I heard these are OP as well :)

I think that I slowly reach the last parts of the game. So far, an absolute blast. Imo, finally a great successor to Dark Souls 2 (my favourite from game so far).

The only critique I have: why is the weapon upgrading so cumbersome? I don‘t have enough material…so many weapons, so hard to try new things and new builds - its a shame :( At least, the could make it such, that in late game weapons found have already a decent starter level…new weapons found are unusable without upgrading first, tedious imo.

Finally had time to play more Elden Ring: killed the last boss, awesome game overall. Among the best!

At the end, I settled for a Blasphemous blade build with dagger+flames of the redman - all bosses go than with no issue.

I did not use any int+magic at all - typically I go for Mage in any DS games, so wanted to change it up this time. I feel however, that Int offers tremendous options, while incantations did not really click with me.

Not sure if I want to do NG+…I‘ll see.

I'm still slowly making my way through it and exploring every single nook and crevice. According to Steam, I've now spent 196.3 hours in the game. :p This is probably now my most played non-MMORPG game that isn't called Warframe (thousands of hours).

For anyone wondering why it's taking so long for my first playthrough, I'm deliberately role-playing a sneaky assassin type. So basically stealth or bow takedowns whenever possible even if it would be quicker, faster, and easier to just rush in and kill things.

Great fun with patience and "out of the box" thinking being rewarded when approaching combat situations.

Regards,
SB

So, VaatiVidya has started to release lore videos about Elden Ring.

There will be a lot more to come. And suffice to say, spoilers.

Regards,
SB

Proof that AngryJoe isn't always leaving angry bad reviews. :p

10 out of 10 for all 3 of them. NOTE: they don't think it's a perfect game, 10/10 is for the game as a whole. 10/10 is extremely rare for them.

Amusingly none of them think Strength build is good, while I feel it's easy mode. :p

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Has the PC version been patched to support > 60 FPS yet?

Don't think that's ever happening. Fromsoft games notoriously break past 60hz (physics, damage etc.). I wouldn't be surprised if Elden Ring is the same.

Proof that AngryJoe isn't always leaving angry bad reviews. :p

10 out of 10 for all 3 of them. NOTE: they don't think it's a perfect game, 10/10 is for the game as a whole. 10/10 is extremely rare for them.

Amusingly none of them think Strength build is good, while I feel it's easy mode. :p

Regards,
SB

Its from soft game. Each build will be bad/good depending on the player haha.

Btw what's with angry Joe font in the thumbnail? I keeps reading it as ANGAY REVIEW.

Wthis angay lol. Feels like a misspelled Anjay

Don't think that's ever happening. Fromsoft games notoriously break past 60hz (physics, damage etc.). I wouldn't be surprised if Elden Ring is the same.
I thought the previous Dark souls games other than 1 supported uncapped framerates on PC.

Back