Elden Ring [2022-21-01] [PS, XB, PC]

Ray tracing update is out! No DLSS or any upscaling tech implemented apparently.

Just gave it a quick try. There's no individual RT settings like shadows, reflections etc... just on/off at different quality levels. I set it to max and the game still plays locked at 3640x1600 on my system in the very brief play area that I tried. I did a quick and dirty side by side photo comparison and in that scene the most obvious difference was the significantly better shadowing on grass which makes a pretty big impact to the scene. Certain on my GPU this seems like a great upgrade.

That’s a nice upgrade. Wonder how they’re doing RT shadows on those grass sprites. Nvidia’s opacity micro map stuff is supposed to help with that but doubt anybody is using it.

Ray tracing update is out! No DLSS or any upscaling tech implemented apparently.
great! I hadn't played the game for a while and was waiting for RT to be added.

That being said, Intel XeSS and DLSS or FSR2 support would be nice to have tbh.

returned to the game after having played it for 59 hours, but for personal reasons I stopped playing for a while. It's nice to know there is a Widescreen fix, that adds some goodies like removing the Vignette and so on.

You can see the difference between RT settings in real time. I noticed no difference between High and Maximum.

Also, with Rivatuner I artificially limited ALL my games to 30fps on a Global basis, in my W11 build/disk partition only dedicated to games, and use Lossless Scaling so it's silent gaming.

That being said, it turns out that a new expansion might launch soon. I am not going to get it right away, not until I've completed the original game.

The other day, I've completed RE4 Remake, and now it's Elden Ring turn, but it might take a while. Np though, since I love its landscapes, the whole super open world with no load times. Superb game.

Last edited:
tried Raytracing for the first time in the game. The difference between no raytracing and any kind of raytracing, even in Low settings, is really high. The shading improves a lot, specially on foliage, but overall shadows or in places like castles and so on. It has a great effect on everything.

One of the good things about ultrawide (3840x1080 32:9) is that you can see the graphics settings changes in real time, 'cos the non 16:9 part to the sides can be seen all the time. You change the raytracing and you immediately see the result.

Additionally, you get to know how the game loads the world of Elden Ring. In the non 16:9 part, you see the rocks, textures, grass,water, etc, generating in the background in real time, at first it looks like a clipped game where yu are floating in the space but then everything fits together and the level appears normal to the player.

Yeah I agree that RT gives the game a very significant upgrade, specially because the included regular shadows are terrible, and the SSAO is pretty basic. BUT the performance penalty is just too much for it to be usable by the majority of people.

Yeah I agree that RT gives the game a very significant upgrade, specially because the included regular shadows are terrible, and the SSAO is pretty basic. BUT the performance penalty is just too much for it to be usable by the majority of people.
yup, I get like 47fps at native 3840x1080 and RT (from low to maximum, it doesnt matter) on. Still, I usually lock my games at 30fps as of late and use frame generation.

The game looks gorgeous with RT on. I think High is the sweet spot, I see no difference at Maximum. The different settings seem to affect the distance, except Maximum which got me thinking.

I took these screengrabs switching RT in real time. The game at 32:9 ultrawide just shows the side of the images.

The menu indicates which RT setting the game is using.

The vegetation shading is a LOT more like real life, where leaves, grass and trunks have shading which gives them that real life touch. You can see it by yourself on the vegetation IRL when going in the car, your bicycle, etc.

No RT, the rest of this batch have RT.
tdQliWi.jpeg

3MWR5Vx.jpeg

CYntygz.jpeg

n5XGq0V.jpeg

RT off too, the rest of this group of screengrabs have RT.

3b0HbOP.jpeg

TGgx3kL.jpeg

zt1r6h0.jpeg

XWlYrLc.jpeg

9mv8pAL.jpeg

And here the difference is so huge, it looks like an entirely different game. In this case I closed the settings menu so the images could be see in their entirety.

RT off.

1pZYKa5.jpeg

RT Low

qq7ICMZ.jpeg

RT Medium

tJ9kdq1.jpeg

RT Off

wuae0z6.jpeg

RT Low

B4nDX2i.jpeg

RT Medium

y1ekgaj.jpeg

yup, I get like 47fps at native 3840x1080 and RT (from low to maximum, it doesnt matter) on. Still, I usually lock my games at 30fps as of late and use frame generation.

The game looks gorgeous with RT on. I think High is the sweet spot, I see no difference at Maximum. The different settings seem to affect the distance, except Maximum which got me thinking.

I took these screengrabs switching RT in real time. The game at 32:9 ultrawide just shows the side of the images.

The menu indicates which RT setting the game is using.

The vegetation shading is a LOT more like real life, where leaves, grass and trunks have shading which gives them that real life touch. You can see it by yourself on the vegetation IRL when going in the car, your bicycle, etc.

No RT, the rest of this batch have RT.
You can use Puredark's mod, it adds DLSS, XeSS and FSR2 to the game, plus FG. There's a DLSS 3 version and a FSR3 one that works with all GPUs and with any upscaling tech. The catch is that you must subscribe at least for a month to his Patreon, so it'll cost you at least 5$. LINK to his page in case you're interested. He has upscaling and FG mods for a bunch of other games too.

Back