Elden Ring [2022-21-01] [PS, XB, PC]

I thought the previous Dark souls games other than 1 supported uncapped framerates on PC.

I think Dark Souls II was the last Souls game that had weapon durability tied to framerate. So on PC at 60 Hz they would degrade twice as fast as the 30 Hz console versions. Other than that, higher framerates didn't break the game so much as allow some exploits to work where they couldn't work at lower framerates. But this is pretty common in many games which people speed run.

Weapon durability isn't a thing in Elden Ring but some exploits rely on the framerate being either exactly a certain framerate or above a certain framerate depending on the exploit.

Regards,
SB

Patch Notes for 1.04

ELDEN RING: Patch Notes 1.04 | Bandai Namco Europe (bandainamcoent.eu)

Buffs to most spells and weapon arts with only a few nerfs as well as a bunch of bug fixes. Not all spells or weapon arts got adjustments but most did.

My favorite addition is an option to disable camera auto rotation. It was always annoying fighting that while moving. The camera wants to orient behind the PC with viewport looking in the direction of movement if you are moving and if you don't have a target locked.

Regards,
SB

So today I decided to install this game again after 120h and Plat'ing it on Steam. I remember quite vividly the stuttering and "slowdown/speedup issues the game had at launch and in the following months on my exact machine.

This PC has been reformatted multiple times since I played Elden Ring.. so there is no possible way there's any shader cache or anything like that exists. I started a new game, and played for about 3 hours... and man is it sweet. THIS is how the game should have been at launch. A perfect 60 locked all the way through.. even on the open world, fighting the Tree sentinel.. the framerate always dipped and the game would slowdown, stutter, and then speed back up to catch up.

Not anymore. Perfect locked 60. Even that stairway past the tutorial in the starting cave... there would always be a framerate dip there while running up those stairs.. not anymore. Perfect.

Even on the open world sprinting with torrent, going through zones I know for a fact used to dip framerate and stutter, don't do so anymore. There's no more shader compilation stutter either, that was fixed a while back I remember, but now it also appears the traversal loading stutters are gone too.

I guess all these gameplay "stability" patches have done something! This honestly bodes well for future FROM games now. Like I have said before, it would have to happen sooner or later with regards to them adopting DX12.. so it's best they get the growing pains out of the way now. Hopefully this is a good sign for things to come. I can finally change my Steam review to positive now.

So today I decided to install this game again after 120h and Plat'ing it on Steam. I remember quite vividly the stuttering and "slowdown/speedup issues the game had at launch and in the following months on my exact machine.

This PC has been reformatted multiple times since I played Elden Ring.. so there is no possible way there's any shader cache or anything like that exists. I started a new game, and played for about 3 hours... and man is it sweet. THIS is how the game should have been at launch. A perfect 60 locked all the way through.. even on the open world, fighting the Tree sentinel.. the framerate always dipped and the game would slowdown, stutter, and then speed back up to catch up.

Not anymore. Perfect locked 60. Even that stairway past the tutorial in the starting cave... there would always be a framerate dip there while running up those stairs.. not anymore. Perfect.

Even on the open world sprinting with torrent, going through zones I know for a fact used to dip framerate and stutter, don't do so anymore. There's no more shader compilation stutter either, that was fixed a while back I remember, but now it also appears the traversal loading stutters are gone too.

I guess all these gameplay "stability" patches have done something! This honestly bodes well for future FROM games now. Like I have said before, it would have to happen sooner or later with regards to them adopting DX12.. so it's best they get the growing pains out of the way now. Hopefully this is a good sign for things to come. I can finally change my Steam review to positive now.

Seems that finally things start moving regarding this issue. I'd guess that Sony actually doing something about it + all the attention around it has gotten studios to consider doing something.

any news about a future RT mode? I have the game since a couple of months ago but I am not in a hurry to play and complete it.

any news about a future RT mode? I have the game since a couple of months ago but I am not in a hurry to play and complete it.
Consoles don't have the performance to spare and I doubt they will do it for PC only given the state of that version.

Consoles don't have the performance to spare and I doubt they will do it for PC only given the state of that version.

I'd just like to point out there there is absolutely nothing wrong with the PC version now. It's as smooth as butter on my system, maxed out at 60fps / 3840x1600. Granted, it's my wife playing it rather than me but every time I've watched, performance is perfect and it's completely stutter free.

Well, to be fair I don't think the console versions are super optimised. Considering what we're looking at, there should be plenty of performance left on the table, that the engine just can't reach. Look at what other games are doing!

Well, to be fair I don't think the console versions are super optimised. Considering what we're looking at, there should be plenty of performance left on the table, that the engine just can't reach. Look at what other games are doing!
They havent ever been able to put out a highly optimized game though.

I'd just like to point out there there is absolutely nothing wrong with the PC version now. It's as smooth as butter on my system, maxed out at 60fps / 3840x1600. Granted, it's my wife playing it rather than me but every time I've watched, performance is perfect and it's completely stutter free.
Is it? I thought I recalled the DF crew discussing how it was never fixed somewhat recently. Also isn't FPS capped at 60? That's just horrendous.

They havent ever been able to put out a highly optimized game though.

Is it? I thought I recalled the DF crew discussing how it was never fixed somewhat recently. Also isn't FPS capped at 60? That's just horrendous.

Yeah it was in a recent DF Direct I think. And I remember thinking the same thing when they said it - what issues? Grated I'm throwing a lot of GPU power at it, and I capped it to 60fps myself through RTSS so wasn't aware of the in game cap. But at 60fps, from what I've seen it's perfect. Even if not perfect, there's no way at all it can be considered a mess or unplayable.

EDIT: I - or at least my wife - play with Gsync on as well so that probably helps.

Yeah it was in a recent DF Direct I think. And I remember thinking the same thing when they said it - what issues? Grated I'm throwing a lot of GPU power at it, and I capped it to 60fps myself through RTSS so wasn't aware of the in game cap. But at 60fps, from what I've seen it's perfect. Even if not perfect, there's no way at all it can be considered a mess or unplayable.

EDIT: I - or at least my wife - play with Gsync on as well so that probably helps.
Not a mess, just a barebones effort. If they couldn't bother to allow high framerate gaming I can't see them spending the effort to implement RT.

I am super curious how FROM handles a ray tracing implementation. I realize there's a bit more going on with the graphics and sort of skeleton of the hardware demands in these games, but still, they're really not known for offering any kind of advanced features or offering decent bang for buck on performance versus visuals. I'll just say my expectations are minimal...

So why bother announcing it at all if they wont "spend the effort" to implement it?
To be fair they mentioned it once wayyyy before release, then never talked about it again, so for all we know they dropped it completely. Don’t see how the current engine could even do this when it can’t run this game properly on any platform. Loved the game by the way!

To be fair they mentioned it once wayyyy before release, then never talked about it again, so for all we know they dropped it completely. Don’t see how the current engine could even do this when it can’t run this game properly on any platform. Loved the game by the way!
As for the second to last patch released last October (1.07) there were indications that it was being worked on. Modders where able to find RT entries in the code and even enable it (albeit it was completely broken, seemed to be missing files).

I still have hope :runaway:

Back