EA preview next gen shot

hovz said:
i doubt next gen games will look anywhere near good as those screens. highly doubt it.
I disagree........ remember that the following graphics level is already possible on PS2 ... there is no doubt in my mind that the graphics level in those "render test"s will be possible on PS3..;
ea-sports-fight-night-round-2-20050111112010625.jpg

[source: http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/716/716352/img_2538604.html ]

As hair is expensive, to maintain the 'realistic look', most characters in next-gen either have crew-cuts or are balding. :D

I have to point something out. I think it's generally important to understand too. Nobody here assumes that the "leaked test renders" are what characters would look like for a game with dozens of characters on screen. These images (if indeed they prove to be genuine) would only represent the quality of a character in a one-on-one fighting game (that's extremely limited, both in environment and in character AI and in physics). I don't think anybody who's versed in this stuff would say they'd be typical for something like a war sim.. something Dynasty Warriors (ish). That'd be like 50,000-100,000 polys x 20 characters on screen = not going to happen territory.

What's to stop it from happening in a fighting game though? It has a lot of potential reason why it could very well work. No hair (which, if the hair's realistic requires sick numbers of polys), limited characters, small environment, no real physics to speak of, no real depth of field, no exotic lighting models, It'd be about as taxing as running the Ruby demo (ATI) only with two characters and interractivity, if it's even that taxing.

Eh, anyway, just something to think about.

Later

I agree totally...though I don't know what EA will do about the crowds, I don't want cheesy cardboard cut-outs next-gen.

GwymWeepa said:
I agree totally...though I don't know what EA will do about the crowds, I don't want cheesy cardboard cut-outs next-gen.

That is an interesting question. I know dev costs are going up, but maybe some developers will opt for the route to continue with a look similar to high end games (with more polish of course because of rendering features in HW), but instead of trying to create insanely detailed main characters they will go the route of using that power for the environment. e.g. in a boxing game making a realistic looking crowd. In a lot of games close up detail is wasted 9 times out of 10 because you rarely see the items up close. In games like that the extra power would be well spent on making the atmosphere more immersive.

It will be really interesting to see how the HW power is used in different games next gen.

i for one hope its used to actually do things we cant do now in terms of ganeplay along with the better graphics.

Wunderchu said:
GwymWeepa said:
instancing ;) :D 8)

Procedural generation of faces? :D I want individuals, not clone army crowds.

mmm....clone armies... hmm.... Kingdom Under Fire/Dynasty Warriors/Heavenly Sword type of game but with Star Wars...

Why hasn't it been done!?!?!?!? :LOL:

london-boy said:
What's "co-opetition"?

Co-opetition is if a company has a cooperation with an other company for one product and at the same time is a rival to that same company with an other product.

Fredi

You guys are freakin' funny!

How come the woman is fully modeled and the guy just gets some kind of fused piece of flesh?

Not a bad thing is it?

As hair is expensive, to maintain the 'realistic look', most characters in next-gen either have crew-cuts or are balding.
:LOL: !

You all must remember that this is just a standard render based on (most likely) baseline next-gen specs. When optimization and final dev-kits go out we probably will see this level of detail in most games... one must remember that its still up to the developers on whether they all use a generic engine or take the time and effort to optimize a game for the system and get the most bang per Flop...

What do we have on next-gen RPG-Racing games?

Back