EA preview next gen shot

By the way, I've been looking forward to such quality ever since the first Doom3 presentation at the GF3 launch. Once normal mapping and per-pixel shading were introduced, it was only a question of performance to get here with higher polycounts and larger textures :)

To put this into perspective and how it compares to FF:TSW:

scene_ff.jpg
ryan.jpg

All in all, I think I'll be very happy if we get FFX FMV quality models next generation... of course that is assuming the animation is on a similar level. Wouldn't want unrealistic movement to spoil the pretty sight afterall... :)

As Guden Oden pointed out, it looks like a VHS feed with a nasty repeating watermark...

... but maybe we can try breaking it down some? Whoever said it looked like some 3D scan, I would concer (that was my first thought). While I am sure most of you are more qualified to break this down, my thoughts on this are:

-The HDR looks great, although the ear looks funny in #3 (you would expect with such a bright light some more subsurface lighting... is this present or not? It could just be the setup/atmosphere)

-Nice eye Shader, they have the HL2 glassy look and have a sense of depth.

-In #3 there appears to be some very nice bump/normal mapping giving the face a great amount of texture/detail.

-The model seems to have a really high poly count (any guesses?). I do not see any hard edges or jaggies which makes me go "hmmm" I would HOPE we would get this level of detail and AA but for some reason I think we wont get such smooth looking models in the finished products.

-The textures look to be of great quality. Veins, stubble, moles, small imperfections in the skin (like small dimples and scars). These reasons right here make me hope for 512MB of memory :)

-Either the model has some great Pixel Shaders for the life like look, or the textures were created in a certain way to fit their enviroment. A boxing game is in a very controlled environment, so I wont get too giddy yet. It would not be very difficult to have textures that play off the atmosphere of a boxing ring. The question will be when this model is moved into environments with different amounts of lighting.

As someone else noted this is all for not if it does not animate well!

If we take these pics with those of Madden and the Racing Game, well, either EA is being a big tease OR we are looking at a pretty big bump in rendering quality. ::Sigh:: Oh well, the tests and PR clips are always much better than the 1st gen software, and often much better than anything that actually comes out (although RE4 is an example of a game matching tech and art direction and really maximizing HW).

So, anyone want to critique my unskilled break down and give a better one?! :)

Nice , now how about afull body , with a ton of others on screen ? When they release those pics then i will be impressed

The team obviously used somewhere around 10,000 polygons to model the face and some form of bump mapping to get the skin features just right. The face doesn't look too "robot-like" and looks VERY convincing. Kudos to the programming team at EA!

Test Madden 2007 Screenshots???

Take note that these images are not that of a real althete!!! These are test renders!!! Although these say that the engine is for Fight Night Next Gen, EA tends to use their game engines for all different game titles. I think I can speculate that Madden 2007 may have similar graphics too.

http://www.gabosgab.com/reviews/EAGames.htm

Why would football players need 10k polys for the face? The face is hidden under a helmet and most of the time you see the players back!

Things I would rather see time/power spent on: Uniforms that were like similated cloththing (they twist, stretch, get stained, tear, shift when grabbed, etc...), extremely detailed stadiums, dynamic fields that had poly grass that tore up and got muddy, SNOW that actually could be pushed around built up, and an animation system that was NOT video captured, or at least included some type of physics interaction (like some type of animation/ragdoll blending). I am tired of a tackle animation and when you hit the players in the animation nothing happens. I am tired of the preset running animations. I want it to be dynamic--if a player is running, covering the ball, in the middle of a stride or short stepping it, etc... all of these things should affect what is going on. If your shoulder pads hit the knee, ankle, thigh, hip, torso, etc... could all result in different effects.

Yes, I know this would take a lot of processing power, but is that not what the new systems offer? Might as well put it to good use :)

Anyhow, until the animation system changes the graphics will only be eye candy and nothing more. I would rather have todays levels graphics with dynamic physics driven player movement than CGI quality graphics. Both would be nice, but if I had to choose I would go the route where it would improve gameplay and the actual feel for the game.

Also, a lot more depth could be put into players, how they think and react. Is your CB afraid of big hits and give a half effort on the run (Deon)? Does your SS like going for the big hit... and get fines and penalties and sometimes misses a tackle (Atwater, Lynch, Lott)? Does your QB suffer from extreme streaks (Plummer, Kreig)? Is your team bad in the cold (TB, Indy, StL)? Do you have a coach that makes your team a lot better than the parts (NE)?

All of these are elements in the game, but they really need to be built on. I played Front Page Sports Football way back before they had an NFL license. ESPN and Madden only got to the level of franchise and sim features in the last couple years (about 10 years later).

Phil said:
To put this into perspective and how it compares to FF:TSW:

scene_ff.jpg
ryan.jpg

All in all, I think I'll be very happy if we get FFX FMV quality models next generation... of course that is assuming the animation is on a similar level. Wouldn't want unrealistic movement to spoil the pretty sight afterall... :)

Based on my memory, those shots don't look much better than what's been seen in halflife 2, resident evil 4, or silent hill 3.

BTW, something about the first head in this thread seems off...the skin/facial tone doesn't look right.

Laa-Yosh said:
This looks very promising. When compared to the Elder Scrolls screenshots, it's obvious that next gen will really separate good art teams from the average ones...

Ooooh yeah.

Acert93 said:
The team obviously used somewhere around 10,000 polygons to model the face and some form of bump mapping to get the skin features just right. The face doesn't look too "robot-like" and looks VERY convincing. Kudos to the programming team at EA!

Test Madden 2007 Screenshots???

Take note that these images are not that of a real althete!!! These are test renders!!! Although these say that the engine is for Fight Night Next Gen, EA tends to use their game engines for all different game titles. I think I can speculate that Madden 2007 may have similar graphics too.

http://www.gabosgab.com/reviews/EAGames.htm

Why would football players need 10k polys for the face? The face is hidden under a helmet and most of the time you see the players back!

Things I would rather see time/power spent on: Uniforms that were like similated cloththing (they twist, stretch, get stained, tear, shift when grabbed, etc...), extremely detailed stadiums, dynamic fields that had poly grass that tore up and got muddy, SNOW that actually could be pushed around built up, and an animation system that was NOT video captured, or at least included some type of physics interaction (like some type of animation/ragdoll blending). I am tired of a tackle animation and when you hit the players in the animation nothing happens. I am tired of the preset running animations. I want it to be dynamic--if a player is running, covering the ball, in the middle of a stride or short stepping it, etc... all of these things should affect what is going on. If your shoulder pads hit the knee, ankle, thigh, hip, torso, etc... could all result in different effects.

Yes, I know this would take a lot of processing power, but is that not what the new systems offer? Might as well put it to good use :)

Anyhow, until the animation system changes the graphics will only be eye candy and nothing more. I would rather have todays levels graphics with dynamic physics driven player movement than CGI quality graphics. Both would be nice, but if I had to choose I would go the route where it would improve gameplay and the actual feel for the game.

Also, a lot more depth could be put into players, how they think and react. Is your CB afraid of big hits and give a half effort on the run (Deon)? Does your SS like going for the big hit... and get fines and penalties and sometimes misses a tackle (Atwater, Lynch, Lott)? Does your QB suffer from extreme streaks (Plummer, Kreig)? Is your team bad in the cold (TB, Indy, StL)? Do you have a coach that makes your team a lot better than the parts (NE)?

All of these are elements in the game, but they really need to be built on. I played Front Page Sports Football way back before they had an NFL license. ESPN and Madden only got to the level of franchise and sim features in the last couple years (about 10 years later).

doube we will have the processing power required for that anytime soon.

and knowing ea id be suprised if the new maddens have anything but better graphics and a cool nea feature. can anyone say madden trivia

Back