EA preview next gen shot

fxtech

Newcomer
fight night boxe game i suppose.. ..the same fave generation over generation.. ..some one remember the face of old man ps2 , the face of shenmue character on dc etc etc

front.jpg

left.jpg

right.jpg

confirm or denie the source of these images ?

pc999 said:
Not bad, but we already saw better.

Errmm where? Cause i'd love to play a game that detailed today.

Anyway, that's just a head, who's satidfied with just a head anymore, we need the full monty.

Wow, you guys sure are jaded.

That is by far the most realistic head that I have ever seen! And this is supposed to be a render from their actual next-gen engine.

It is very realistic looking indeed. The lighting is impressive in that head, but why doesn't it have any hair? The eyebrows seem to be just a texture too.

Nah, the shading on the ears look weird so I think it's a render. Besides the overdone "Look! We have HDR!" exposure also gives it away ;)

london-boy said:
pc999 said:

Errmm where? Cause i'd love to play a game that detailed today.

Anyway, that's just a head, who's satidfied with just a head anymore, we need the full monty.

Not this gen but in Heavenly sword demo, and in a scan from a UE3.0 article they had a face that looks really good too.

But I must agree this qualitity is too low to make a fair statement so I will hold my opinion by now.

pc999 said:

What the hell have you been smoking?

There is NOTHING in those pictures to suggest they aren't a real person. Except for the missing body that is...but even that could've been erased via chroma-key.

Alejux said:
pc999 said:

There is NOTHING in those pictures to suggest they aren't a real person. Except for the missing body that is...but even that could've been erased via chroma-key.

Yeah, just a tiny hint. ;) But no, i'd still say that's not real. It looks almost on level with FFTSW kind of detail, but it's just a head, no way next gen engines will be able to create worlds that detailed without shortcuts. Which is not a bad thing in itself, efficiency is a good thing.
Also, once it starts moving, everyone will know it's not real anyway, with or without the rest of the body...

london-boy said:
Alejux said:
pc999 said:

Yeah, just a tiny hint. ;) But no, i'd still say that's not real. It looks almost on level with FFTSW kind of detail, but it's just a head, no way next gen engines will be able to create worlds that detailed without shortcuts. Which is not a bad thing in itself, efficiency is a good thing.
Also, once it starts moving, everyone will know it's not real anyway, with or without the rest of the body...

IMO, I think it looks real, specially given the poor resolution and bad screen capture. I think there's a psychological effect in place, depending on what a person is expecting to see. I would bet real money that you could show this image around to unsuspecting stragers, and no one would say it's a rendered model.

But I do agree with you, that all doubt concerning real/not real would vanish once they added movement to it this model. We can fake stills at the moment, but we are far, far from imitating anything remotely realistic concerning human motion and facial expressions.

If we see stuff even half as detailed in games I would be pretty happy. Combind that with the facial technology in games like HL2 and you have a pretty immersive experience from a character stand point. Hopefully the bigger studios develop some pretty neat technology that they trickle down throughout the rest of their developers. I think that is one advantage EA has. If they have one developer work on a flexible renderer, another on physics, another on facial animation technology, another on physics based animation, another work on advanced AI, and so forth, you would have a pretty strong library of tools. If these tools were made modular and scalable they could be used where needed, at the levels needed, and really up the quality and shorten development time... in theory ;)

Bad quality on those shots. I'd render a judgement if they'd given an accurate depictment of the images, but they don't. There's tons of blur and color noise (looks like VHS tape grabs), and the "subtle watermarks" screw things up even further.

This is the single most impressive human head model I've seen in a video game. The shapes and forms are very realistic, they might be using scanned source data for the modeling.
Actually, I'd say that the quality surpasses what we've seen in most CGI intro movies and probably the Final Fantasy movie as well. It might not have 8K texture maps, but that isn't really needed unless they want to do 2048*1536 close-ups...

The UE3 head, while almost as detailed as this one, has a far more stylized look, both in the geometry and in the shading.

This looks very promising. When compared to the Elder Scrolls screenshots, it's obvious that next gen will really separate good art teams from the average ones...

Back