EA announces new development studio headed by Zampella, West.

I've heard people still with IW as of 3/31 were already getting their first royalty bonus checks that cover sales between launch and the end of 2009 (ie: the largest part of the sales). Obviously any bonus money West and Zampella would have earned is in limbo due to their termination and ongoing litigation, but there's no reason for that to effect people still with the company through the end of last month. That's why the exodus didn't start until the beginning of April. Anyone who wanted out knew to stay just long enough for that first bonus check.

This kinda makes the point they were just waiting to jump ship and start another studio though. Probably even had discussions with EA while still at Activision.

No. That does not make the point at all.

Maybe you've never worked in the software industry or with others you've considered to be close friends. I have. I worked at a place where once the respected head of the department was axed, the entire team of 18 left within a 4 week time period. None of us had planned or discussed the matter before the event occurred. What spurred us to leave was the complete lack of trust the company displayed. It was a sickening feeling to remain working there, the perceived betrayal was too much to deal with. Everyone felt a great burden eased after putting in their resignations.

Obviously any bonus money West and Zampella would have earned is in limbo due to their termination and ongoing litigation,

Why the hell is that "obviously" so? Haven't they worked for and earned that money?

This is bull****. Due payments should not be used as leverage in any debate, legal or other.

Maybe you've never worked in the software industry or with others you've considered to be close friends. I have. I worked at a place where once the respected head of the department was axed, the entire team of 18 left within a 4 week time period. None of us had planned or discussed the matter before the event occurred. What spurred us to leave was the complete lack of trust the company displayed. It was a sickening feeling to remain working there, the perceived betrayal was too much to deal with. Everyone felt a great burden eased after putting in their resignations.

Cool, but given previous speculation/accusations, as well as the fast turnaround, it's likely West/Zampella had this pending.

Why the hell is that "obviously" so? Haven't they worked for and earned that money?
I think Brad just means, "because of the litigation, West and Zampalla obviously won't be getting their money until that's sorted." I certainly didn't read a belief that they didn't deserve their bonus.

Exactly. It's only obvious because the non-payment of royalties earned is one of the grievances listed in in West and Zampella's original court filings. I don't think it's right for Activision to be holding that money hostage, but I don't exactly expect them to cut a check until ordered to by a court or the lawyers reach a settlement.

This, hell, I was huge on multiplayer gaming (competition for money and prizes) back when MOH: AA came out and when COD came out. And I had no clue they were headed up by the same guys. And loved both games. Heck I didn't even know the heads of IW were responsible for MOH: AA until late last year. :p

Things have changed a bit since then, but somehow I don't think these guys have hit Carmack/Sweeney popularity. And, hell, I'd be surprised if 10-20% of the people that bought and played Doom I, II, Quake I, II when they were released knew who Carmack was.

Regards,
SB

There is alot that can go wrong with COD.

1) It seems that there are 3 titles in the works for 2010/11 . Infinity ward cod , tryark cod and this new development studios cod and perhaps a cod mmorpg. This will certianly effect quality and can introduce gamer fatigue

2) It seems looking at the history that Infinity ward innovated and the others followed.

COD1 +2 inovations , cod big red one , cod 3 were rehashes. Cod MW was an innovation while COD WW was a rehash.

If West and Zampella were the main creative force behind these inovations and they got other key people from infinaty ward the magic may just be gone in the COD world. IF They aren't there to inovate and lead the other teams foward but are instead creating thier own rival game many will simply swith regardless of knowing who these people are.

I really think that COD2 on the 360 at launch is what made this series. It was in the right place at te right time. Say what you will about COD2 but it was leagues better than anything on the system at launch. Flash foward to COD3 and while not as good as COD2 it was still pretty damn good for a 2006 xbox 360 game. That lead the way to COD4 in 2007.

I really think that COD2 on the 360 at launch is what made this series. It was in the right place at te right time.

Who knows, maybe Respawn Entertainment will be working on a new launch franchise for next gen. The timing isn't a bad fit.

This kinda makes the point they were just waiting to jump ship and start another studio though. Probably even had discussions with EA while still at Activision.

I agree BRiT. Further, no company OWNS an employee. Part of the issue, reading back through the material, is their contracts were going to be up. There was a resigning period.

It isn't obvious that there was any nefarious or contractually objectional behavior in regards to dialogue about future employment; and fast turn around is nothing more than creative talent wanting to go back to work doing what they want to do. I am sure a LOT of studios (Ubisoft, Bethesda, Valve, MS, Sony, etc) would have been happy to assist them in forming a new studio if it meant publishing their games. EA is an obvious partner--they are larger and have distribution channels, have worked with the likes of Valve to publish titles for independant studios, and will cover whatever platforms they wish to ship to (MS/Sony would cut the market share). EA can also muster the funding needed as well as promise massive exposure, EA taking their cut through volume.

Another reason the fast turn around isn't surprising is that there is no time to waste in terms of product cycle. What, you want them to sit around for 3 years (!) until Activision--after utilizing MW2 profits--decides to settle?

And it seems pretty clear that huge chunks (13 now?) of high level IW staff feel the same way and once given the first good opportunity didn't renew their contracts and headed out.

In many ways this was similar to the Bungie/MS situation. In hindsight it seems MS handled it a LOT better than Activision. Bungie got to generate some much needed cash in the form of ODST and Reach to fund their new IP and MS got ample time to properly ramp up 343 Studios without the pressure to get a great Halo game out in a small 2-3 year window.

The good news out of all of this? I don't have to worry about buying a CoD MMO! It will be ****. I do hope that IW gets the royalties they are due and Activision investors open their eyes and READ the crap their CEO says. His own comments show he has little appreciation for creative talent and obviously, being money centered, has no problem with them slaving away chasing the carrot and then doing everything he can to keep his little money hoard. And he contributes what exactly to the quality of games?

Ahhhh 3 level map packs for $15. Kiss of Activision!

EDIT: And yet another former employee, per the Kotaku article, blames Activision:

[employee blamed] Activision for withholding Modern Warfare 2 payments. "They fired the two most amazing leaders we've ever seen, and then shafted us all out of a lot of money that was promised to us...there is nothing they can do to gain our trust or respect. And I'm pretty sure they know it now."

That's how these things ALWAYS read out: "'We're taking all the talent', said one of the guys who left. 'Good thing we got to keep the core team of <game you love>', responded their former employer."

Did you see the names of the guys who left? ...

Yes? Do you know who did what? There were parts of MW2 that were good and parts that were terrible. Did Respawn get all of the people responsible for the former and none of those responsible for the latter? Is IW now left with all of the poor schmoes who couldn't game design their way out of a wet paper bag?

The point is, the dude leaving IW isn't the most credible source as to the studio's situation. Just like when, say, Kotick or that ATVI guy who is heading IW now gets interviewed by Gamer Blahhg and someone asks 'How did the exodus affect the studio?' we shouldn't take his word that MW3 is going to be bigger, badder and more badass at face value either.

Nice side step, especially as you use that as a launching pad to AIMLESSLY attack someone's credibility. Maybe I shouldn't be too hard on you, maybe you don't understand how a software studio works? I have only worked on the services side but I know a lot of people who do work in software development studios and the input I get from them is all the same for a studio like this.

Fact #1: of the sub-100 person studio a smaller percentage yet are actual responsible for major design decisions and implementations

Fact #2: Your "leads" are typically much more responsible for the direction of your project than your junior members.

That being said, here is a list of people who have left:

1. lead animator Mark Grigsby
  2. lead character animator Paul Messerly
  3. senior animator Bruce Ferriz
  4. lead designer Steve Fukuda
  5. lead designer Zied Reike
  6. lead designer Todd Alderman
  7. lead designer Mackey McCandlish
  8. programmer Rayme Vinson
  9. programmer Jon Shiring
  10. lead artist Chris Cherubini
  11. lead software engineer Francesco Gigliotti
  12. CEO and studio head Vince Zampella
  13. President and CCO Jason West
MW2 gets a lot of hate, especially among PS3 owners and PC gamers, we get it. We also get the game isn't perfect. But there is no denying that IW's products, especially CoD2, MW1, and MW2 have had massive consumer appeal, critical acclaim, and industry clout.

To downplay the 13 significance of the departure of the above individuals is just stupid.

And this isn't to downplay the abilities or contributions of the other 70 members on the team--no one is saying they are idiots. The entire team contributes (major duh--if the other 70 were completely useless they wouldn't even be there) but your comments ignore that a core group makes the major decisions and a lot of folks do things other than directly impact major game design decisions, especially on a 100 member team.

IW may have 3 bang up GREAT junior animators who may grow to be some of the best industry leads in their next titles BUT that is to ignore their relationship to the folks who produced the IW titles in lead and senior positions. Their juniors may match or exceed them, but that has no bearing on the significance the folks who left had on the actual projects.

The guys who left weren't smucks--they are responsible for one of the most successful titles, critically and financially, ever. Period.

Hence your "unreliable" source is dead on. The list only backs what he is saying.

The Studio Behind Modern Warfare Is "Dead," Insider Says
http://kotaku.com/5519049/the-studio-behind-modern-warfare-is-dead-insider-says

That's a sad read. If true, then Activision screwed the pooch on that.

Tommy McClain

Problem is, we still only really know one side of the story.

If Zampella and West were in discussions with other companies as Activision alledges, then they were in a no-win situation from the start.

Of course, you could argue they should have given Zampella and West more freedom or pandered to their wishes well before this all came to a head.

It remains to be seen whether Respawn will be able to recreate the popularity of their previous efforts. History is on their side on this, however, EA has taken an extremely risky gamble on this. If it pans out they'll make out OK. If it doesn't, it's going to be a blunder of epic proportions.

Just to put my own thoughts on it, I think EA will probably make out OK, and Respawn will come out with something good. Then again if it doesn't I'm not going to be entirely surprised. There's also a history of successful development heads that have had a string of successes before hitting a brick wall and losing everything.

Regards,
SB

Just to put my own thoughts on it, I think EA will probably make out OK, and Respawn will come out with something good. Then again if it doesn't I'm not going to be entirely surprised. There's also a history of successful development heads that have had a string of successes before hitting a brick wall and losing everything.
Definitely! Rare has hardly demonstrated it was worth MS's investment. Then there's Star Wars Episodes 1 to 3, anyone? Indiana Jones 4? Or how's about the later series of Red Dwarf? Or even the 10Percenters, written by the creators of Red Dwarf which I went to see being filmed live, and it was utter £@*#%!. One expected more from the creators of Red Dwarf, but it turns out they got 'lucky' with their Sci-Fi comedy, and weren't capable of reproducing that brilliance.

Reaching the very top of one's industry is no guarantee it'll all be roses, and there's as much chance of anything new from Respawn being overhyped, overdesigned, awkward tat as there is it being a premier example of game design, just as with any notable creators who still manage to turn out turkeys. Such is the nature of the creative industries!

MW2 gets a lot of hate, especially among PS3 owners and PC gamers, we get it. We also get the game isn't perfect. But there is no denying that IW's products, especially CoD2, MW1, and MW2 have had massive consumer appeal, critical acclaim, and industry clout.

PC owners yes, for obvious reasons, but PS3 owners? Where do you get the idea that PS3 owners are hating on MW2?

Probably, but working in a hostile environment where upper management have to fight the parent company on every decision doesn't sound like a nice place to work. Take it from this lowly person that having good morale in the workplace helps make an awesome product.

It's a pretty classic scenario, the abused party is accused of plotting by the abuser when in reality the abuse doled out on a regular basis is the problem and the plotting is a symptom of it. So please, instead of assuming that Activision are all nice and West and Zampella are backstabbers take the time to look at the whole situation. Read the interviews about how hard it was for IW to even make COD4 and how hard they had to fight to retain their development culture after the success of the first MW.

Look at every other franchise Activision have. They have all been run into the ground to the point of death because of 'profit maximisation'. It's quite clear that IW was dead against this for MW franchise and this is evidenced by the studio heads owning part of the MW brand as opposed to Activision fully owning it. This is probably the root cause of all the conflict between IW and Activision, IW clearly wanted to keep MW as a top level franchise with one instalment every couple of years or even less while Activision wanted 2 possibly 3 MW games a year and to bring in external developers to make new MW games away from the original premise, or simply put milk it and send it down the same path as Tony Hawk and GH. If that was the case (which I am sure it is) then would you blame the studio heads for shopping their services to a new publisher and forming their own development studio where they wouldn't have these problems.

Back