EA announces new development studio headed by Zampella, West.

nintenho

Veteran
http://www.vg247.com/2010/04/12/ea-announces-new-development-studio-head-by-zampella-west/

EA’s just announced the formation of a brand new studio headed by ex-Infinity Ward heads Vince Zampella and Jason West called Respawn Entertainment

.It comes as the pair were fired from the Modern Warfare developer last month by publisher Activision.

The new studio will have full control of whatever IPs it develops, while EA will handle worldwide publishing and distribution rights to whatever it creates via EA Partners.

well.....wow.:LOL:

Someone was going to snap them up. You don't created the best selling video game series and sit on the unemployment line.

Cool, I wonder how many other IW emloyees are coming over. I know one of the design leads and the engineering lead have quit IW after getting their bonus on may 31st.

On a somewhat unrelated note, what if they're working on something that's not a FPS?

On a somewhat unrelated note, what if they're working on something that's not a FPS?

In my dream world they are working on Fight Night Round 5. In reality they will be working on something along the lines of what they've always done.

It is maybe both good and bad, but they have to start over from scratch! No longer than they keep carrying that legacy code. Maybe we can get something fancier, but you kind of worry that it'll be hard for them to recreate the magic. Gameplay > graphics.

Edit:

I totally forgot that DICE is a subsidiary of EA! And the new Medal of Honor is also EA! Wow, that's a lot of WW2/warfare eggs in one basket now. I have a feeling Activision will be losing its strangle hold on the "realistic" fps market VERY soon. Seems like there's a lot of groups that might be working on very similar products within EA. Maybe these guys will actually get to do something slightly different.

Let's see how much auteur-ship really influences game purchases (probably very little). If Activision loses its strangle-hold on the 'realistic' fps market very soon, it's because the bottom fell out.

Activision will milk dry the CoD franchise long before respawn's first game even drops.

Medal Honor: AA was released in Jan 2002 and Infinity Ward was started the same year. Call of Duty was released in Oct, 2003.

If Respawn can take the Dice engine and mirror the work they did on the first couple installment with COD using Id tech, they may be able to turn out a MOH title in short order.

Medal Honor: AA was released in Jan 2002 and Infinity Ward was started the same year. Call of Duty was released in Oct, 2003.

If Respawn can take the Dice engine and mirror the work they did on the first couple installment with COD using Id tech, they may be able to turn out a MOH title in short order.

Considering that the engineering lead has also left IW and is probably joining respawn, I'm betting he took a snapshot of the source code with him. change a few lines here and there....bam! they got their engine up and ready to run.

http://kotaku.com/5515489/modern-warfare-team-loses-two-more-veterans-[update]

It looks like 6 IW employees have quit since March 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering that the engineering lead has also left IW and is probably joining respawn, I'm betting he took a snapshot of the source code with him. change a few lines here and there....bam! they got their engine up and ready to run.

http://kotaku.com/5515489/modern-warfare-team-loses-two-more-veterans-[update]

It looks like 6 IW employees have quit since March 1st.

It is highly unlikely he would be stupid enough to do anything wrt the source code or other assets that were at IW/Activision. Not only is it a huge civil liability, its a federal felony as well!

Back