EA announces new development studio headed by Zampella, West.

Let's see how much auteur-ship really influences game purchases (probably very little). If Activision loses its strangle-hold on the 'realistic' fps market very soon, it's because the bottom fell out.

I think the bottom will fall out because Activision is going to milk Call of Duty until it's utter garbage that no one wants to play. Then these ex-Infinity guys will come along and probably release something notable again. Then it's goodbye Activision.

I wonder how much the Call of Duty franchise has lost with the departure of the key talent already. This must be at least reasonably well known amongst the current crop of call of duty players as this pertains directly to them. Perhaps people are already looking to move on if they consider the series dead?

This must be at least reasonably well known amongst the current crop of call of duty players...
Out of the millions who bought the game, I doubt even 10% read game boards. Most will be blissfully unaware IMO and will buy the next COD as soon as it's available unless they are bored of FPSes by now.

The name of the new studio is quite amusing. At least they are informing us people will see infinite amounts of enemies, that will spawn on us

Out of the millions who bought the game, I doubt even 10% read game boards. Most will be blissfully unaware IMO and will buy the next COD as soon as it's available unless they are bored of FPSes by now.

Is there any correlation between IW's COD releases and increased sales vs Treyarch's? A few COD fans I know have games from both teams and pointed out good and bad things about both of them.

I doubt that CoD 7 will sell less because of this, unless the market dries up that is.

I thought this was interesting:

From an interview on Eurogamer -

Jason West: "I was playing Bad Company 2 when I thought up the name, Respawn Entertainment".

It is highly unlikely he would be stupid enough to do anything wrt the source code or other assets that were at IW/Activision. Not only is it a huge civil liability, its a federal felony as well!

Well of course you're right, and I'm certainly not advocating this illegal activity, but don't you think practice does occur?

My guess is that this sort of thing happens quite a bit.

I was talking about communication between the players in online matches. Surely the fate of Infinity Ward must be of some interest to people who spend 150+ hours every year on the multiplayer MW2?

The reason why they sell so well is because everybody plays them. However if something happens and people start to jump ship then the inpenetrateable shell of invincibility has to be weakening. One very good reason to jump ship and look for a new game is that the people making the game you love have been disbanded.

This is true, but looking longterm I'm betting the COD franchise is on it's last legs.

It was Infinity Wrd that made the franchise "great", activison provided the filler, but it was always IW that hit the homeruns.

COD, the original, put the series on the map, then there was some shitty filler title. Then COD2, another homerun blockbuster. Then there was the shitty "Big Red One", filler title, which sold on the back of COD2.

Then MW1 comes out, another homerun. Then World At War, mediocre title selling again on the back of COD2 and MW1.

Acitivision iwll be lucky to get 2 big sellers out of COD franchise before they milk it to death...

I don't think the general population cares about the devs as much as the style of game. The "modern warfare" name and setting is surely a factor in the difference between the sales and success of IW and Treyarch. There were quite a few complaints when COD5 was announced as *yet another* WWII title, in spite of the smashing success of the fresh style of COD4.

WaW still sold ridiculous numbers. Some people hated it, but it did get its share of praise, especially for the support it got post-release.

I bet it'll be an FPS game that takes place during World War II, but now it's in SPACE.

I'd play that. I love the retro future. I think the most disappointing thing about MW2 in single player was how brief that sequence in space was. Let me chase down and kill a cosmonaut, or something!

lol this is hilarious :LOL:
sndnxh.jpg

No points for guessing its from MW2's menu screen

This, hell, I was huge on multiplayer gaming (competition for money and prizes) back when MOH: AA came out and when COD came out. And I had no clue they were headed up by the same guys. And loved both games. Heck I didn't even know the heads of IW were responsible for MOH: AA until late last year. :p

Things have changed a bit since then, but somehow I don't think these guys have hit Carmack/Sweeney popularity. And, hell, I'd be surprised if 10-20% of the people that bought and played Doom I, II, Quake I, II when they were released knew who Carmack was.

Regards,
SB

So, will the guys who left the studio get paid? It's been like 5 months since the game's record breaking release...

I heard that the bonus is being held 'til after the lawsuit is resolved. I don't know if that applies to folks who stayed at IW.

Back